X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

I'm Starting the FSSR basic kit from Rocklaurence. The front bumper needed to get removed to access the front spring hangers. I was able to remove the winch, bumper and front shackles.

Right now it's setting securely on some Jack stands waiting for further disassembly. I hope to get a dry day next weekend to get more done.

It's pretty straight forward. I'm looking forward to the results. I didn't opt for the receiver kit because of the massive front bumper Art built for this Jeep.

I think I'll tie the mounts together with something though. The mounts will be bolted and welded to the frame.

Starting measurements for the front fenders and bumper.

Drivers front fender

Passenger front fender

Front bumper

Some disassembly pics.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Awesome! I have the same kit, works great! You will need to have your driveshaft lengthened and a long travel yoke put on when your done. I also had to change my brake line brackets but other than that, it was a pretty easy installation and it does ride better when you are done.

Oh, and I had to tilt my shock mounts back. All you have to do is unbolt the mount rotate them rearward and re-bolt them in.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
        350 Buick
        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
        Awesome! I have the same kit, works great! You will need to have your driveshaft lengthened and a long travel yoke put on when your done. I also had to change my brake line brackets but other than that, it was a pretty easy installation and it does ride better when you are done.

Oh, and I had to tilt my shock mounts back. All you have to do is unbolt the mount rotate them rearward and re-bolt them in.

Thanks Marc

I wanted to get this done this weekend, but it didn't happen. I had to work Saturday helping a couple of friends. Sunday was my jeep day but was wet, not rain, but the heavy mist that gets everything wet.

I started by grinding off both front spring mounts.

Then it was a trip to get a step bit to drill the 1-1/2 hole in the frame.

In the mean time I spent a couple of hours staying out of the crap weather by looking for a jeep item that has eluded me. No luck.

Towards the end of the day I got back out to drill the hole and start to mount the first bracket, swap the spring and install my new shackle.

Maybe I will be able to finish this next weekend. It does feel good to make some progress, and there is no turning back once you bust out the grinder and get the mounts cut off.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

nice upgrade

love the Cherokee.

a real SUV.

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by SOLSAKS
            nice upgrade

love the Cherokee.

a real SUV.

dave in NC

Thanks Dave. I'm excited to get it sitting level and feel the ride difference.

I just keep chipping away at the things that need done as time allows. I do have to wait for fair weather for the floor pan project.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

thats it

one thing at a time

its fun.

when its all done,....

not as much fun,... ask me how I know,.....

but always something to do on a vintage vehicle.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

More progress on the FSSR. I have older Bj's 6" springs. I'm not sure I like how far forward it pushed the tire. Seems like it may grab the front of the fender pretty easy. As the springs flatten out and shackles rotate to the rear it may get better.

Like Marc pointed out, extending the front driveline is required, and rotating the shock towers also.

I forgot to grab my tape measure for comparison measurements, it is higher by a couple of inches. I'm sure I'll like the ride when it's totally wrapped up.

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

Do you have the full weight on those springs in the pics? Those shackles should be leaning backwards. Did you have to flip the springs around backwards?
                  1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by bkilby
                    Do you have the full weight on those springs in the pics? Those shackles should be leaning backwards. Did you have to flip the springs around backwards?

Thanks for the reply. I was assuming the shackles would lay back when it was on it's own weight also.

Yes, the full weight is on the springs and yes I flipped them so the large bushing is in the front at the solid mount and small bushing is in the shackle. And all of the spring / shackle bolts are loose. I assume it has something to do with the actual spring length / arch. It needs to flatten out to extend.

I haven't driven it. So maybe that will help. But I still need to finish the passenger side bolts and weld the mounts and crossmember between them.

I also need to rotate the shock towers and get a new driveshaft or mine extended.

Comment

• bkilby
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 10, 2016

Maybe once you get it all installed and can move it forward and back while tapping the brakes, it'll settle to something better. Driveshaft and shocks not needed for that. I didn't do that same kit but something similar. I still had to add shims to get the front pinion angle right. Just did that last week actually. YMMV and all that.
                      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by bkilby
                        Maybe once you get it all installed and can move it forward and back while tapping the brakes, it'll settle to something better. Driveshaft and shocks not needed for that. I didn't do that same kit but something similar. I still had to add shims to get the front pinion angle right. Just did that last week actually. YMMV and all that.

I moved it back and fourth a couple of times. things stayed in the same place.

Those springs have my pinion at a bad angle. It's hard to tell from these pics but look at the angle of the spring perch in the passenger side pic.

I don't think it can be shimmed, The spring pad shows how far bassakwards things are looking.

I may look into different front spring packs. Or go go back to stock leaves and put the SOA perches on.

Plus I found some bigger tires.

Last edited by 78 WIDETRAC; 01-21-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

Today I spent some time messing around with the front springs. I flipped them, and it centered the wheel. The shackle angle is still not correct, but I had to see.

My springs are BJ's 6". Older, so I have no idea who really made them.

I picked up a 6' long 3x2 steel square tube 1/4" thick on the marketplace for $15 so I'll cut a chunk to put between the FSSR mounts. Maybe overlap the front of them also.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 19, 2003

Not much progress to report.

However I did finish up bolting the FSSR kit up. I held off because I did not have my angle finder to ensure it was plumb. I also cross threaded a bolt from the kit, so I had to get another couple just incase.

I bought a rolling welding cart (Lugging a mig box around gets old) and some items to start on the pans soon. That is really the last major project to do.

Don't get me wrong I have TONS of little things. I have a long punch list.

For all of the grease and oil under this Jeep I'm surprised it was able to rust!

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 19, 2003

I finally installed the evil twin fab grab bars on the A pillars.

How do I combat this condensation in the future?

Here is some of the ice we got covering a bike in the back yard.

I'm also wanting to figure out a way to use these for more interior light at some point. Like best location etc...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

Ooooohhh... that roof top condensation looks Terrible! I would not know where to start in combatting it. Maybe just crack the windows at night?

Look up some of Driftwoods posts. He put some of those LEDs on his headliner and they look pretty snazzy.
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X