Is my body tweeked or was it made like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

Is my body tweeked or was it made like this?

This has been on my mind for a little while now.

Most other people don't (and probably wont) notice this about my GW, but I can see that it looks like it still sags a bit to the drivers side (in the rear). So I did some investigating.

On a level cement floor I measured from the floor to the Jeep's wheel well opening's. The drivers side sits lower than the passenger side by 1/4". Then, to see if it was spring sag vs body (mount) sag, I measured the height of the frame from the floor.

Here's what's odd, the frame sits higher on the driver's side by about 1/4". So, the problem isn't the spring sagging. Actually, that kind of makes some sense since the air shock on the left is at about double what the one on the right is (to compensate for the heavier load). So, where am I losing half an inch at? The driver's side (if things were perfect) should be up a little higher than the pass. until I let the air shock down some to even things out.

I checked body mounts next. None are sagging and the rear most ones I made are still good. After checking them, I took a crowbar and wedged it between the body and the frame and couldn't get it lifted any higher. Measuring the space (in the wheel well) between the body and the frame, both sides are the same. Looking at the Jeep from the back, both sides look pretty much the same and is straight with the bumper.

The only thing I can figure, is that either the body is tweeked (no signs of a previous major accident) or it was sloppily manufactured and the wheel well heights are off from the factory. Or maybe it could be tweeked from all the rust that it used to have... I don't know, BUT-which is it?

Has anyone else noticed such a thing about their full size jeep?
    Thoughts/opinions/comment's?

Measure your Jeeps on a level surface, what do you come up with?
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Mine's bent from a wreck. My data would be unreliable.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Gadzooks2
      232 I6
      • Sep 19, 2006

You found two spots within 1/4" anywhere on the jeep? That thing is a museum piece!
      78' J-9, 96' XJ

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Gadzooks2
        You found two spots within 1/4" anywhere on the jeep? That thing is a museum piece!
        BBBWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• UnkleMunky
          350 Buick
          • Oct 17, 2000

Go find another 30 year old vehicle and see if it measures perfectly straight and true and balanced all over. Especially a 4x4.

BTW....you didn't mention considering perfectly exactly matched tires all around. Even a tiny difference in tire wear, or even manufacturing, could amount to 1/4" difference in what you are describing.
          Michael (UnkleMunky)
          '78 J10: 258, 4 speed(T18), longbed, topper
          '01 Oldsmobile Sihouette
          Some dogs, a few fountain pens...and too many sewing machines...

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

absolutely zero chance of getting accurate measurements like that.
            the difference could easily be floor used or your suspension/tire/spring/bushing/shock etc. etc.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ZackN920
              350 Buick
              • Nov 18, 2015

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              Mine's bent from a wreck. My data would be unreliable.
              Didn't you do a frame swap too?

Originally posted by Gadzooks2

Originally posted by UnkleMunky
              Go find another 30 year old vehicle and see if it measures perfectly straight and true and balanced all over. Especially a 4x4.

BTW....you didn't mention considering perfectly exactly matched tires all around. Even a tiny difference in tire wear, or even manufacturing, could amount to 1/4" difference in what you are describing.
              Well, I better go measure my 93 year old Dodge car and the 32 year old Lincoln. Oh, and the 32 year old Dodge pick up too! Could measure the Suburban too, but its only goin on 26

Tires are perfectly matched, all manufactured at the same time (same date code on each one). I can and have switched them around, I get the same results. About 1/2" seems to be lost between the frame and body on the driver side.

Originally posted by babywag
              absolutely zero chance of getting accurate measurements like that.
              the difference could easily be floor used or your suspension/tire/spring/bushing/shock etc. etc.
              Really? I've measured this in 2 different garages/shops with cement floors, one in several different spots and can't get that much of a different measurement.

I'm thinking my body is just fudged up. Either its tweeked from all the rust and the fact that it ran around for who knows how long without rear body mounts, or its manufactures defect. That I could believe too. I have read plenty about Jeep stamping machines being really worn out towards the end of production.
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
              Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
              ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by ZackN920
                Didn't you do a frame swap too?
                Yeah but my body is still slightly bent. My tailgate does hang correctly and my doors/front fenders are still a bit off but better.
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

gas tank being on driver's side most lean on that side
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X