• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 Arizona Chief
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 06, 2004

FYI Truck Avenger Tuning specs...

I recently finished accumulating 2,000 miles on my new 360. I changed the oil to 10W30 Mobil-1 and decided to take it to Automotive Diagnostic Specialties in Chandler, AZ to have it dyno tuned. I figured I would post back the final carb settings to give everyone a good idea what is needed to get a Truck Avenger tuned properly.

The motor specs are as follows;
    AMC 360
    .030 Hypereutectic 9.0-1 pistons with coated skirts
    Elgin RV spec cam
    studded heads with 1.6 Comp Cams chromoly rollers
    Edelbrock Performer w/EGR
    Holley Truck Avenger 670cfm
    double roller chain
    Milodon 8.5 qt. pan
    new timing cover w/midplate

An O2 sensor bung was welded in the y-pipe and the truck spent approximately 5 hours on the dyno. Stock jetting from Holley is a 68 primary, 89 secondary, 28 acc pump discharge. The shops dyno is a Mustang brand dyno that can simulate grades and even loads such as towing a trailer.

Final settings;
    primary jet 67
    secondary jet 72
    acc pump discharge nossel 35
    power valve 10.5

Cruising air-fuel ratio is 14.5
    Wide-open throttle air-fuel ratio is 12.2-12.5 (It pegged the rich meter with the 89, 86, and even the 80 secondary jet settings.) The shop installed the 10.5 power valve finding that the slightly earlier enrichment helped towing a simulated trailer by not opening the secondaries until gowing up a grade. The power is great. I still need to mess around with the acc pump cam by swapping them to rid myself of an ever so slight off idle bog. The shop said it needs a little quicker shot, not necessisarily a larger shot. Other than that, it has awesome 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle response and torque. Wide open throttle is a whole new engine. It just keeps pulling up to 73 mph in second and hits 3rd pretty hard. 5,000 rpms even on the dyno took it to 118 mph.

Final numbers are 139.8 hp and 256.8 ft/lbs at the rear wheels. Working backwards figuring around a 35% drivetrain loss (TH-400s take about 30-40 horse just to spin) and the motor is a solid 215 hp and 395 ft/lbs. Interstingly, the truck kept down shifting into second so the dyno pull could not start until 2,700 rpms. I am almost positive my torque peak is lower than that so it may be making more torque that this.

Next weekend we are going to Gordon's Well at the Imperial Sand Dunes for a weekend of dunes runnin'. I am towing a 25-foot enclosed Pioneer camping trailer. Can't wait to see how this thing tows now.

Kevin.
    \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.
  • badaboom
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 05, 2001

Good information

An O2 sensor bung was welded in the y-pipe
    Key point.

I asked this back about a year or so ago.
    Does anybody run a O2 sensor.

Most replies were no, they never came with one etc.

The key point here is the O2 add on accessory sensor gauge etc.

Allows you one of the best way's to dail/tune in the carburetor.
    1981 Jeep J10 Laredo, 401-V8, 625 Carter, Lunati 262/268, Edelbrock Performer, MSD Ign., Hydroboost, Hyd. Clutch, Flow Cooler WP, Be Cool Aluminum Radiator, Doug Thorley, NV4500 5-Spd, NP-231D, 3.73 F/R Trac-Locs, Rustys 4" Lift, Vintage Red Metallic, Black Interior and 33X10.50X15 BFG, FiTech400 to come - IN PROCESS Bling Bling Cha-Ching

Comment

• Tahnka
      350 Buick
      • Oct 16, 2003

73mph in second gear
      Christopher
      My DD: '84 Gwag
      Georgia Full Size Jeep Club
      Effectively Search IFSJA

--Wheel Stock

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
        350 Buick
        • Jul 29, 2003

Great info Kevin. Based on your original guesses I dropped my primary down to a 66 and left the seconds alone on my new avenger. I will change them now for sure.
        I suspected the pump nozzles to be a bit small as I have a good bog if I stomp down on it in first, but pulls good when I ease it in. I'm pretty sure some of that is timing though. Also confirms the quick shot theory.
        Now I won't have to guess so much myself.
        Ralph

Comment

• J10-401
          304 AMC
          • Oct 01, 2005

"studded heads with 1.6 Comp Cams chromoly rollers"

Arizona,

Did you use the 1332-16 rockers. Summit lists them for SB fords with 7/16" studs. Comp gave me that number and said they will work on AMCs.
          \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
            327 Rambler
            • Jan 06, 2004

73 mph... with 4.10's and 35's 73 mph is about it when it shifts.

Ralph, this thing runs so much better it is amazing. The 35 discharge nozzle is what really made the 'off-the-line' difference. BTW, the truck currently has approximately 15-16 degrees of timing and 31 degrees total advance. No pinging with the 9.0-1 comp. and I run 87 Chevron only.

J10, I will have to check the actual part number. I know that I called Comp Cams dirrectly. Usually it is a Ford 302 part number that corresponds to an AMC fit piece, however, IIRC it was a Chevy 1.6 7/16th rocker that Comp Cams specified. I am also running Comp Cams hardened chromoly push rods 8.25" long, again, IIRC. I will check tonight and get back in the morning.

Kevin.
            \'78 Cherokee Chief - 360/TH400/QT Front high pinion 44/ARB/4.10-1, Rear 44/ARB/4.10-1, SOA w/Alcan front springs, Alcan full-leaf (w/shackle eye flipped) rears, custom bumpers, Multi-mount Warn XD9000i, more money into her than I want to admit. Dad purhcased new, still have window sticker. 310,000 miles.

Comment

• J10-401
              304 AMC
              • Oct 01, 2005

Thanks. And whatever they are, I'm assuming the geometry worked out OK?
              \'84 J10 Pioneer -- Edelbrock headers, Intake. MSD 8778 Ignition. MC 4-bl carb. 1970 "319" 51-CC heads. Comp cam. 401/727 B&M truck-shifter (floor), 3.73:1 gears. 31\"x12.5\"x15 ProComp A/T tires on M/T Classic II 15x10 wheels. Rear swaybar. Bucket seat conversion & redone interior. Interior roll bar and 4-point harnesses.

Comment

• budojeepr
                350 Buick
                • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by 78 Arizona Chief
                The 35 discharge nozzle is what really made the 'off-the-line' difference.
                That's the piece of info I need - I've struggled with the off-the-line bog on mine for a while!

My local carb guy said lots of Holleys do it, and he just recommended setting the bowl level about halfway up the sight window. I dunno how well that would work on more extreme angles.

Thanks for the writeup! By the way, what altitude are you at? Holley recommends one jet size smaller per 2,000 feet rise...
                Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• my 2j20's
                  258 I6
                  • May 26, 2005

FYI Truck Avenger Tuning specs...

Anyone using this carb with a 4 speed? i had hell with this one off the line...big time bog.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by my 2j20's
                    Anyone using this carb with a 4 speed? i had hell with this one off the line...big time bog.
                    I am running one with my T18.
                    79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 06, 2004

J10-401,
                      When the motor was built, Comp Cams Magnum Rockers were installed, part number 1416-16 Ford SB 3/8 stud 1.6 ratio. I wanted true rollers so I called Comp Cams and they told me to run a 1302-16 SBC 3/8 stud 1.6 ratio rocker. With the 8.25 or 8.5 inch long (I can't remember) the geometry seems good. The roller tip sits about dead center on the valve stem, and maintains at center through the lift cycle. I called Comp Cams to verify this morning, and they had said that either the 1302-16 can be used, or if the roller is too far backed up towards the intake manifold, then you could run a 1331-16 which is the Ford SB rocker, that offsets the trunion about 50 thousandths further. I will be re-adjusting the rockers shortly, and will double check the roller tip location, but IIRC, it was sitting centered when I installed them. Now I see that you want to run a 7/16 stud so the part numbers would be different, but applications the same. Hope this helps. BTW, if you do end up running a 3/8 stud, I ended up useing ARP's stud kit ARP-134-7104. I found that I needed a little longer stud and these worked out good. Are you planning on running a taller valve cover for extra clearance?

Kevin.

Comment

• J10-401
                        304 AMC
                        • Oct 01, 2005

Thanks,

I have the aluminum Omix valve covers (with the jeep letters) bought from4wheeldrive.com

I'm not sure if they offer better clearance or not. I think I better do a valve cover removal before I buy stuff that won't fit. Plus, now I'm not sure if the shop built the heads up with 7/16 or 3/8 studs...

Comment

• Rompn
                          350 Buick
                          • Dec 30, 2000

Originally posted by 78 Arizona Chief
                          I recently finished accumulating 2,000 miles on my new 360. I changed the oil to 10W30 Mobil-1 and decided to take it to Automotive Diagnostic Specialties in Chandler, AZ to have it dyno tuned. I figured I would post back the final carb settings to give everyone a good idea what is needed to get a Truck Avenger tuned properly.

The motor specs are as follows;
                          AMC 360
                          .030 Hypereutectic 9.0-1 pistons with coated skirts
                          Elgin RV spec cam
                          studded heads with 1.6 Comp Cams chromoly rollers
                          Edelbrock Performer w/EGR
                          Holley Truck Avenger 670cfm
                          double roller chain
                          Milodon 8.5 qt. pan
                          new timing cover w/midplate

An O2 sensor bung was welded in the y-pipe and the truck spent approximately 5 hours on the dyno. Stock jetting from Holley is a 68 primary, 89 secondary, 28 acc pump discharge. The shops dyno is a Mustang brand dyno that can simulate grades and even loads such as towing a trailer.

Final settings;
                          primary jet 67
                          secondary jet 72
                          acc pump discharge nossel 35
                          power valve 10.5

Cruising air-fuel ratio is 14.5
                          Wide-open throttle air-fuel ratio is 12.2-12.5 (It pegged the rich meter with the 89, 86, and even the 80 secondary jet settings.) The shop installed the 10.5 power valve finding that the slightly earlier enrichment helped towing a simulated trailer by not opening the secondaries until gowing up a grade. The power is great. I still need to mess around with the acc pump cam by swapping them to rid myself of an ever so slight off idle bog. The shop said it needs a little quicker shot, not necessisarily a larger shot. Other than that, it has awesome 1/4 throttle to 1/2 throttle response and torque. Wide open throttle is a whole new engine. It just keeps pulling up to 73 mph in second and hits 3rd pretty hard. 5,000 rpms even on the dyno took it to 118 mph.

Final numbers are 139.8 hp and 256.8 ft/lbs at the rear wheels. Working backwards figuring around a 35% drivetrain loss (TH-400s take about 30-40 horse just to spin) and the motor is a solid 215 hp and 395 ft/lbs. Interstingly, the truck kept down shifting into second so the dyno pull could not start until 2,700 rpms. I am almost positive my torque peak is lower than that so it may be making more torque that this.

Next weekend we are going to Gordon's Well at the Imperial Sand Dunes for a weekend of dunes runnin'. I am towing a 25-foot enclosed Pioneer camping trailer. Can't wait to see how this thing tows now.

Kevin.
                          Good info. I have a Chevy 350 I have built that is waiting to drop in. I am running a new Truck Avenger 670 as well. How much was it for the Jeep to get dialed in for 5 hours by the way?
                          Patrick
                          INNOVATIVE FABRICATIONS

Comment

• Ralph Rogers
                            350 Buick
                            • Jul 29, 2003

Kevin,
                            What is the part number for the 35 nozzle?
                            Ralph

Comment

• 78 Arizona Chief
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jan 06, 2004

ROMPN,
                              The bill came to a little over $400.00 for the tuning. I got to keep the O2 sensor so I am going to pick up an air-fuel ratio gauge so I can tune it myself for emissions.

Ralph,
                              I don't have the part number infront of me, but it was a standard Holley 4 barrel discharge nozzle. They usually come in a two-pack figuring on a double-pumper. I will look tonight to see if I still have the receipt so I can get you a part number.

Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                              X