• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wag the Dog
    232 I6
    • Aug 19, 2002

Basics of Electric Trailer Brakes?

Getting ready to tow W/’88 GW (tow package ‘B’ 7 pole RV plug) & I’d appreciate advice
    on the basics of electric trailer brakes, here are my questions:

Does GW tow package include elec. brake controller or are all elec. brake systems unique
    with own controller?

If rental trailer has own elec. brake controller, is controller mounted in dash area?

Do I run wire from controller in dash area to trailer harness or is there connector in dash
    area?

Do elec. brake systems have their own 12V battery power supply or is power supplied
    through trailer harness?

Thanks as always for your help, any other comments to help me configure electric brake system
    is appreciated!
    83 Wagoneer Ltd. TFI & AM/FM cassette player!
  • Glenn_tx
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jun 08, 2002

Here's what I know:

Most rental trailers have surge brakes, meaning they are momentum activated so no brake controller is required.

For your 7 pin connector you can get a flat 4 pin connector/converter for a few $$ to work with most rental trailers.

The vehicles I've installed controllers on that came with the factory 7 pin, already had the necessary wiring under the dash to connect the controller. No additional wire needed to be run to the trailer.

My trailer has a break away system which utilizes a small battery to lock the brakes in the event the truck and trailer become seperated. Otherwise the power for the brakes comes from the controller/vehicle 12v.
    Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• Wag the Dog
      232 I6
      • Aug 19, 2002

thanks for info
      83 Wagoneer Ltd. TFI & AM/FM cassette player!

Comment

Working...
      X