• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghinmi
    Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Suggestions for daily driver/tow rig

CMA's post had me thinking I'd ask my IFSJA buddies for their thoughts. Unfortunately I'm suddenly in the market for a daily driver. Needs to get decent mileage empty and be able to tow 7000ish lbs. And it's got to be decent looking, reasonably quick, 4x4, and still under warranty. And not a 4-door truck or a long bed. Basically a sport truck or suv.

Only thing I'm finding so far that fits the bill is a 2013+ Ram regular cab short bed with the 395 hp hemi and 8 speed. Is there anything I'm missing? I had considered the Ford/Chevy rcsb options but they are lacking in power and don't feel as well built as the Ram. I'm not opposed to an SUV but I'm not finding anything that pushes my buttons that can still tow a trailer.
    Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
    http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321
  • 79jeep360
    232 I6
    • Oct 08, 2014

Originally posted by Ghinmi
    CMA's post had me thinking I'd ask my IFSJA buddies for their thoughts. Unfortunately I'm suddenly in the market for a daily driver. Needs to get decent mileage empty and be able to tow 7000ish lbs. And it's got to be decent looking, reasonably quick, 4x4, and still under warranty. And not a 4-door truck or a long bed. Basically a sport truck or suv.

Only thing I'm finding so far that fits the bill is a 2013+ Ram regular cab short bed with the 395 hp hemi and 8 speed. Is there anything I'm missing? I had considered the Ford/Chevy rcsb options but they are lacking in power and don't feel as well built as the Ram. I'm not opposed to an SUV but I'm not finding anything that pushes my buttons that can still tow a trailer.
    How about one of these suburbans, I think they are pretty nice. They have the 6.0 I believe and I don't know how fast they are, but you could certainly make it fast with very little invested. They also have a 12,000lb towing capacity
    1979 Cherokee 4 door 360 4 barrel intake and carb
    3in rough country lift 33x12.50r15 tires
    Transmission- Warner T-15A 3-sp
    Transfer Case- Spicer 20
    Axles- Dana 44 3.54 gears F&R

1973 cj5 d30 front d44 rear 3.73 gears
    232 inline 6
    Transmission- Warner T-15A 3-sp
    Transfer Case- Spicer 20

Comment

• Ghinmi
      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

I had considered the smaller Chevy SUVs but they're WAY too expensive for what you get. And by the time you modify one to run halfway decent, you've voided the warranty. The Suburban is too big of a vehicle for what I'm looking to do. My old '99 3/4 ton Sub with the 7.4 was less than impressive to tow with and was somehow rated to tow 10k lbs.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project

Comment

• AM Woody
        258 I6
        • Jan 11, 2003

Why not a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi? That's a really nice vehicle. Or a Durango.

I do like Ram trucks best, and I've driven everything. Saw GMC was offering 0% for 72 months on 2015 Sierra 1500 in December. That's practically giving it away, but good luck finding a regular cab.

Actually, the new Canyon/Colorado is good. I think you'd be within towing capacity but it would be pretty maxed out.
        - Andy M.

89 Grand Wagoneer. Status: Operational
        92 XJ Laredo. Original family owners
        00 XJ Limited. T-boned. Need new body
        00 XJ Limited RWD
        06 TJ Rubicon. Original owners

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Tough list of requirements. Smail, 7000+ tow capacity, fast, powerful, good on gas and still under warranty daily driver.
          See any contradictions there? Weigh all your requirements then prioritize the list. Gotta be able to toss or at least put a lower priority on some of your wants but keep "safety first" near or at the top. Sounds like you're looking for a brand new rig(flavor of your choice?) that you can order set up the way you want. Or build your own from an existing platform.
          How long will your tow trips be? Personally I wouldn't regularly tow 7000lb with a short wheelbase SUV with puny car brakes and suspension. I researched a tow rig for dragging a medium sized live aboard toy hauler. The tug and tow combo was way out of my budget so I'm still in my house but a used 7.3 dsl F-450 would have been my first choice. Solid reliable platform, good suspension w/o needing too many mega buck "stabilizers etc" suspension mods. HUGE stock brakes and stock 4.30 gears, reasonable fuel consumption for a tow rig. Nice outfit. For heavy towing...bigger is better. Good luck with your decision.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Unless you get something with a tow package that's warrantied, you'll be out of luck if it quits while towing.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Ghinmi
              Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Originally posted by AM Woody
              Why not a Grand Cherokee with a Hemi? That's a really nice vehicle. Or a Durango.

I do like Ram trucks best, and I've driven everything. Saw GMC was offering 0% for 72 months on 2015 Sierra 1500 in December. That's practically giving it away, but good luck finding a regular cab.

Actually, the new Canyon/Colorado is good. I think you'd be within towing capacity but it would be pretty maxed out.
              I looked into Durangos and Grand Cherokees but man, expen$ive and finding one that's still in warranty (miles) is difficult.

I looked into the Chevy stuff but like you said, finding a regular cab was a stretch and it didn't seem like as good of a truck. 0% would be nice, let my money work somewhere else instead.

Originally posted by joe
              Tough list of requirements. Smail, 7000+ tow capacity, fast, powerful, good on gas and still under warranty daily driver.
              See any contradictions there? Weigh all your requirements then prioritize the list. Gotta be able to toss or at least put a lower priority on some of your wants but keep "safety first" near or at the top. Sounds like you're looking for a brand new rig(flavor of your choice?) that you can order set up the way you want. Or build your own from an existing platform.
              How long will your tow trips be? Personally I wouldn't regularly tow 7000lb with a short wheelbase SUV with puny car brakes and suspension. I researched a tow rig for dragging a medium sized live aboard toy hauler. The tug and tow combo was way out of my budget so I'm still in my house but a used 7.3 dsl F-450 would have been my first choice. Solid reliable platform, good suspension w/o needing too many mega buck "stabilizers etc" suspension mods. HUGE stock brakes and stock 4.30 gears, reasonable fuel consumption for a tow rig. Nice outfit. For heavy towing...bigger is better. Good luck with your decision.
              Yep, it's a tall order but for what they charge for new vehicles these days they should be able to do it. My last one I was able to order exactly how I wanted (2012 Ram rcsb hemi) but prices have skyrocketed the last few years and my $24k ordered truck is $32k now.

I generally only tow my Jeep to AMC and racing related events. I've probably towed 12k miles in the last few years.

I guess not much has changed since 2012, the Ram is still the only thing on the market that fits the bill. I ended up putting a deposit down today on a 2014 Ram 1500 Express rcsb 4x4 with the 8 speed, 3.92s, and limited slip. Rated to tow 9,050 lbs, handles well, should run mid/low 14s in the 1/4, and gets 15/21 mpg. 43k miles so I can still purchase the Chrysler lifetime warranty. Now I just have to make the trip to go get it.

Comment

• Bill Moore
                304 AMC
                • May 22, 2006

H2 Hummer with cummins conversion looks like just the ticket
                DDs
                67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• billyj7175
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 10, 2001

I have a 13' RAM Express, Hemi, single cab, short bed, 4X4, but I didn't get the 8 spd trans...it's a hoot to drive for sure. However, they do have a ton of torque management, so they're not a tire shredder...but once you're rolling, it scoots pretty good.

I had a 14' enclosed, double axle trailer that I sold because it simply side loaded the rear end of the truck too much. Adding a sway control didn't help it...a weight distributing hitch helped, but still was unnerving in a crosswind.
                  Towing that same trailer with my sisters 4dr shortbed Chevy was a completely different story; it towed like a dream. In short (no pun intended), my little RAM just didn't have enough wheelbase.

Hopefully your car hauler will net a better result.

Let us know how it goes.
                  83 J-10 Jeep "Oscar"
                  360/727/229
                  4" Rusty's w/33X12.50 BFG AT's

I'll apologize ahead of time...my inner voice has Tourette's...

Comment

• Ghinmi
                    Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

My '12 rcsb Express towed my 18' trailer with my Wagoneer on it no problems. Way better than my 3/4 ton Suburban. I don't see why the '14 would be any different, they're the same thing aside from the transmission.

And the torque management, yeah, my 2012 with the 6 speed had a ton of it. The 8 speed with it's steep 1st gear is a lot better. It'll actually spin the tires unlike the 6 speed. It's out of the torque management so quick it's a non-issue.

Comment

• Ghinmi
                      Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

Update on this, I did my first towing with it this Thursday/Friday. Hauled a lifted XJ on a steel uhaul trailer from Michigan to Florida. The Jeep was packed full of stuff and I had a full load in the bed (helping friend move to Florida). Did great, straight as an arrow and no side to side fighting. The 8 speed was a lot better in the hills (Tennessee). The top 3 gears are the same as the 6 speed so no change there but the bigger hills it was nice to have a closer spaced gear below that. Never went over 3400 rpm the whole trip, usually around 1800 in 8th. Averaged almost 14 mpg. Pretty happy with it, the 8 speed is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X