• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThisGuyUKnow
    350 Buick
    • Mar 25, 2008

4.0 Conversion Harnesses

I'm not sure how much interest there is on here because most of us have v8s. For those that have 258s that they want to convert to 4.0 FI or want to swap in 4.0 motors,

I have started making conversion harnesses for people on the CJ forums. Basically all I am doing is taking a 91-95 Cherokee or YJ donor harness and removing all the wires that are not needed or used in the conversion to clean up the harness. I label everything you need to splice into and test all the wire connections for the ECM and connectors to make sure they do not need to be repaired. Then I also use the left over relays to add the headlamp switch bypass through the PDC so your fuse and relays are cleanly inside the box.

I also add an SI style alternator plug so that you can run the charging system through the PDC. The PDC has 2 maxi 60A (120A system capacity) fuses to protect the charging circuit. This eliminates the need for the fusible link wire which can be a pain in the rear to replace if it busts, this allows you to just simply pull and replace the fuse once you fix the problem.

There are several unused power wires in the PDC for items like heated rear window and accessory circuits that can be repurposed for the accessory circuits in wagoneers with electric seats and other items that draw their juice from the solenoid on the fender well. Just depends on what you need if you want a harness.

If you are using a starter with the solenoid built into it, the PDC also has a starter relay in it with a nuetral safety switch wire that can be grounded or spliced into your tranny harness. This would allow you to completely eliminate the fender solenoid and clean up the clutter under the hood.

The overall idea of this is to provide a harness that is much less the cost of the store bought conversion harnesses and looks clean. All that would need to be done is to remove anything not needed from the original harness and leave only stuff that is critical(ie oil pressure sending unit, temp sending unit, ac, blower motor, etc.) run that into the loom and then cover it all up. It will look like one harness instead of two.

Here are pics of the first one I did, as I build more I'll try to get better pictures.

Cherokee harness pulled from a 91 donor

All the extra wire removed and everything labeled

All the wires that came out of the harness

Prices are 150 plus shipping if you pull a usable harness and send it to me. 250 plus shipping if I have to acquire the donor harness from a part out and send it out. I'm only going to do these one at a time with payment due only after I have finished the harness and its ready to send back to the buyer.

I am willing to do obd2 harnesses but the prices will be higher due to the added complexity.
    Last edited by ThisGuyUKnow; 03-11-2015, 09:21 PM.
    '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs
  • pyro
    258 I6
    • Sep 15, 2012

I am very interested. Not sure when I'm doing the swap yet but I will def keep you in mind. Thanks
    '81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
    '82 Cherokee 258/TF904

FSJNetwork Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
      350 Buick
      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by pyro
      I am very interested. Not sure when I'm doing the swap yet but I will def keep you in mind. Thanks
      Awesome let me know when you are ready and give me the specs on the sytem you will be using. IE 258/4.0 head, 4.0 block. 258 Trans, 4.0 trans, manual or auto ETC. If you are usin a complete 4.0 then I would not need to make any modifications to the Alternator wiring.
      '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
        350 Buick
        • Mar 25, 2008

3 harnesses currently available. All from 91-95 YJs. One is a manual, the other 2 are from autos and are set up to work with an aw4 transmission. The auto harnesses can be modified to work with a manual or FSJ transmission if need be.

Edit: Correction- the Auto harness can be modified to set up with the AW-4 is what I meant to say.
        Last edited by ThisGuyUKnow; 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

YJ didn't come with AW4, so are they modded?
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
            350 Buick
            • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Carnuck
            YJ didn't come with AW4, so are they modded?
            yes your right I the YJ auto should have been tf999 with lock up torque converter, however they can be set up for aw4 transmission. thanks for catching that, I thought about that this morning on my way into work.
            Last edited by ThisGuyUKnow; 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Aside from the electric lockup, the converter can be controlled hydraulically or swap the valvebody for one from a 999 (almost the same as 727 except the electric controlled lockup) That's what I had planned to do with the '99 YJ 999 case I have before I discovered how truly strong the AW4 is.
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                350 Buick
                • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by Carnuck
                Aside from the electric lockup, the converter can be controlled hydraulically or swap the valvebody for one from a 999 (almost the same as 727 except the electric controlled lockup) That's what I had planned to do with the '99 YJ 999 case I have before I discovered how truly strong the AW4 is.
                There are definitely options. I don't expect these harnesses to move very fast so there is a lot of leeway in making alterations to suit your needs. I can't promise the world but we can definitely make it work with multiple tranny options.

Comment

• 1983 j10
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 13, 2008

I am interested in one for a manual what are you asking for it
                  Just read the rest and seen the priceses I have a harness I could send you way I'll let you know for sure if I want one by the end of next week
                  1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

I would love to have a J-10 with the 4.0 HO/AX-15 combo that is in my YJ. I still regret not picking up that little blue I6/manual J-10 in NC a few years ago!

if I find another one, I will come calling.
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by 1983 j10
                      I am interested in one for a manual what are you asking for it
                      Just read the rest and seen the priceses I have a harness I could send you way I'll let you know for sure if I want one by the end of next week
                      Yep let me know what you want to do. If you decide to do it yourself I will help as much as I can with the process. Would this be for the stroker in your sig?

Comment

• 1983 j10
                        327 Rambler
                        • Apr 13, 2008

Yes I have a harness for it and a lot of the info I need to set it up and the ability but if you are selling them already set up with trade of a good harness I may go that route. Just not sure yet
                        1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 25, 2008

Yes I have a harness for it and a lot of the info I need to set it up and the ability but if you are selling them already set up with trade of a good harness I may go that route. Just not sure yet
                          So you will be using a 4.0 alternator and 4.0 starter?

Comment

• 1983 j10
                            327 Rambler
                            • Apr 13, 2008

That's my plan I'm wanting to use everything from the 4.0

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 25, 2008

That's my plan I'm wanting to use everything from the 4.0

Just a disclaimer I've only done these on stock 4.0 or 258/4.0 hybrids so I have no experience trouble shooting a stroker... I'm assuming that you are running a carb on it now? I have heard you need different sensors such as adjustable map, different injects, etc. There might be a learning curve on the troubleshooting side if it comes to that but I see no reason why the wiring side would be any different.
                              Last edited by ThisGuyUKnow; 03-11-2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X