• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

Grand Wagoneer Disaster

I'm trying to put back together a Grand Wagoneer and it's a mess. I'm expecting to post several dumb questions but let's get started here. I'm putting the dash in and there's a canister on the passengers side that looks like it controls something in the heater box. It has a port on it that looks like a vacuum line would connect to it, where does this line come from?

Last edited by Harrinad; 01-04-2021, 11:27 AM.
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

This one here? The one I have under my dash is slightly different, but I think the other end goes to the hvac controls. My dash is back together now and I can't trace it. I have an 88, what year is yours?
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

would the TSM show this ?
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• Harrinad
        232 I6
        • Jan 22, 2019

Mine averages to about an 88. It is a build from an 86 and a 90 but I think that piece was from the 86. I did an engine swap a long time ago and never put it back together. Since then I have forgotten a bunch and some of the original bits aren

Comment

• Cliff
          350 Buick
          • Mar 30, 2002

Just take things slow and post questions or issues here. It's a great forum and lots of help is available - real good folks here. It looks like a disaster now but you'll make progress.
          Cliff Danley
          1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

it is the vacuum actuator for the defrost, on the passenger side, the one on the driver's side is the heater...

Good luck with the project
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Harrinad
              232 I6
              • Jan 22, 2019

Originally posted by letank
              it is the vacuum actuator for the defrost, on the passenger side, the one on the drivers side is the heater...
              Where can I find the vacuum lines? Do they come straight from the ball on the firewall or from somewhere else? Can I put a T in the vacuum line and connect them to each other?

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Vacuum will originate at the Ball on the engine side fire wall and then travel to [supply] the control switch. I believe there is a multi-hose connector that plugs into the controller. You'll need that connector

Comment

• letank
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by Harrinad
                  Where can I find the vacuum lines? Do they come straight from the ball on the firewall or from somewhere else? Can I put a T in the vacuum line and connect them to each other?
                  Having a latter model 86 and newer is a tad more involved. The fancy HVAC controller has a special vacuum multiport plug in the rear of the HVAC.

Yes you can plug the vacuum motor to the outlet of the vacuum ball, the vent will activated all the time. Do the same for the driver's side vacuum motor to activate the floor heater vent, connect both vacuum motor to a T and one hose to the vacuum ball is the short and fast way.
                  Michel
                  74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                  85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
                  X