Fuel Additives - Do you see value in them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RVAWagon
    232 I6
    • Sep 01, 2015

Fuel Additives - Do you see value in them?

So it's been a while since there was a fuel additive post, it looks like the last one was commented on back in 2014.

I'm just curious if anyone here runs anything through their tanks regularly, either a few times a year or each fill up.

I've got a stock '87 GW with 137K on it and it's my daily driver. I do about 100 miles a week and I run Lucas Upper Cylinder & Fuel Injection Cleaner at each fill up and it seems to do a good job. It says that it works to clean up carburetors as well, but I'm just curious if anyone has anything else they like.
    1987 Grand Wagoneer Stock
    The original owner kept it in a garage and barely drove it, I bought it in Sept of '15 with 107K miles on the clock... so many of the parts that I pull off are still AMC originals.

Gone But Not Forgotten:
    1993 Jeep XJ Cherokee
    2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

I
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• ShagWagon
      350 Buick
      • Apr 10, 2016

Illl throw some marvel mystery oil in every now and then to my fuel and oil to break up anything..
      87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• MysticRob
        350 Buick
        • Nov 26, 2019

I've seen a lot of youtube vids and read articles that the stuff works decently but isn't a cure-all. I used to pour Seafoam type products slowly down the carb for my early 80's Mustang, but later just used water, which worked just as well without all the smoke killing the neighborhood critters.

Seafoam in the crank case is something I still do to remove any sludge.

You can actually make your own Seafoam type cleaners much cheaper using any number of readily available chemicals.
        --Rob--
        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

I use Seafoam or other fuel system cleaner in pretty much all my cars/truck/bikes a couple times a year in a tank of fuel as a preventative maint drill. It's NOT a magic tune-up in a can/carb rebuild so won't clean an already gummed-up/dirty system but does seem to keep them cleaner longer. Results are most noticeable on my carbed bikes.
          joe
          "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

In my fuel injected cars, I run a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner through them every other oil change. I have never read a bad thing about it and it's pretty cheap at Costco. My Mazda with direct injection has 130k miles and still idles as smoothly as it did when it was new even though it does not have a fuel filter. I assume that is partly because I have clean injectors from the Techron. There are different versions of the Techron line and the injector cleaner is the good one. The fuel system cleaner does not seem to be as effective (so I've read). My Cherokee gets nothing added to the gas. It's cheaper/easier to rebuild a carb (or now a TBI) than run fuel cleaner through it every so often.

I am not a fan of Sea Foam myself. My Mazda gets gnarly buildup on the intake valves and it has to be mechanically cleaned off. To do that I have to remove the the intake, soak the valves in solvent, blast them with walnut shells, then put it all back together. I do it about every 45k miles. The first time I did it, I soaked one cylinder's valves in Sea Foam, one in mineral spirits, one in denatured alcohol, and the last one I sprayed with some generic purple oil cleaner stuff. The Sea Foam did not soften the goop on my valves anymore than any of the other solvents and was by far the most expensive. The best cleaner was the generic oil cleaner.

I also had a buddy with an RX7 and when he did his rebuild, he did a similiar test on the face of his rotors. He said the carbon build up on the face of his rotor laughed at Sea Foam. I don't remember all the different cleaners he used but he said the best cleaner was EasyOff. I wouldn't spray easy off down my engine though...
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• RVAWagon
              232 I6
              • Sep 01, 2015

All good info
              1987 Grand Wagoneer Stock
              The original owner kept it in a garage and barely drove it, I bought it in Sept of '15 with 107K miles on the clock... so many of the parts that I pull off are still AMC originals.

Gone But Not Forgotten:
              1993 Jeep XJ Cherokee
              2000 Jeep TJ Wrangler

Comment

• MysticRob
                350 Buick
                • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                I am not a fan of Sea Foam myself. My Mazda gets gnarly buildup on the intake valves and it has to be mechanically cleaned off. To do that I have to remove the the intake, soak the valves in solvent, blast them with walnut shells, then put it all back together. I do it about every 45k miles. The first time I did it, I soaked one cylinder's valves in Sea Foam, one in mineral spirits, one in denatured alcohol, and the last one I sprayed with some generic purple oil cleaner stuff. The Sea Foam did not soften the goop on my valves anymore than any of the other solvents and was by far the most expensive. The best cleaner was the generic oil cleaner.

I also had a buddy with an RX7 and when he did his rebuild, he did a similiar test on the face of his rotors. He said the carbon build up on the face of his rotor laughed at Sea Foam. I don't remember all the different cleaners he used but he said the best cleaner was EasyOff. I wouldn't spray easy off down my engine though...
                Yeah, I didn't see a point of of using it any longer on or in combustion surface areas based on everything I'd read and seen. Carbon deposits and stuff like that seemed to be far too resistant to Seafoam and other cleaners like it, but I did my own experiments with crank case sludge and those wetter deposits that it's able to break down easier, and I came away impressed enough to still dump it down the crank case.

I'd heard Berryman's was good stuff, but have no experience with it. Nor do I really have any experience with using it in the fuel tank, though I've read those chemicals are good for dissolving the presence of water and things that clog carbs up.
                --Rob--
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• nograin
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 19, 2000

No.
                  '85 Grand Wagoneer
                  360 727auto, NP229
                  body by beer (PO)
                  carries wood inside
                  no "wood" outside
                  My other car is a fish

Comment

• chubbinius
                    258 I6
                    • Oct 31, 2018

If my 70 is going to sit for a bit I add some StarTron enzyme fuel treatment to it to counter the ethanol. I also put a little MMO in the tank on all my vehicles every four tanks of gas and every other oil change.
                    1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
                    -Dauntless 350 V8
                    -D27 front/D44 rear
                    2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                      • Jan 09, 2011

Modern fuel is very different from the fuel these engines were designed to effectively burn.

Modern fuel contains a lot more detergent additives and cleaning solvents than old fuel did to combat deposit formation because the new GDI engines are so prone to deposits. Those extra cleaning additives do several things. One, they reduce how much of the fuel is actually "gasoline" that engines are supposed to burn. Two, it removes some of the lubricating quality of the fuel, or "lubricity". Ethanol is also a cleaning solvent that reduces lubricity. All this means that compared to fuel of olden times, modern fuel is better at cleaning but worse at lubricating.

I sometimes use Lucas top cylinder lubricant. It adds some lubricity back to the fuel that can reduce valve and piston ring wear while helping them seal better. All my engines feel like they run a little better with it. Marvel Mystery Oil gives similar results.
                      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

good test on fuel lubricity. both in information and content. anyone using Lucas for it "upper cylinder lubricant" needs to have a look. especially in a diesel application.

lubricity is fairly important in diesels for injector life. current fuel is not optimal for injectors so additives are common.

for a gas engine,i don't use anything. as stated above gas has enough cleansers in it from the pump.
                        Originally posted by Hankrod
                        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• letank
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jun 03, 2002

Impressive test from the diesel folks, dated 2007, any updates from 13 years ago?

I never used too much of anything... may be techron once in a while because it was inexpensive at Costcx

Seafoam is basically diesel gas and alcohol, so sure it will smoke on a gas engine...
                          Michel
                          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

That is the most non biased and scientific one I have found. I like Lucas stuff. But the upper cylinder lubricant claim on that one looks to fall flat. It does appear to be a great cleaner tho, guys on the truck forums have reported great fuel system cleanings with it.
                            Originally posted by Hankrod
                            Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• FSJunkie
                              The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                              • Jan 09, 2011

BG Products are the best on the market if you can get them. I toured their factory once.
                              '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

Working...
                              X