• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iluvnos
    232 I6
    • Nov 20, 2008

Roof rack and Grill Shell

hey gang,

Ok so here is the main question. My 79 wagoneer had at one time a roof rack on it, but it now has plugs in a majority of the correct places and some holes look filled in. The issue is the plugs and holes that are filled in are covered by a textured paint and they will not just pop out so I can't install the plugs and screws. So my question is should I either use some self tapping screws and silicone and tap into the plugs, or should I drill into the roof and use the original plugs and screws? If that is the way to go, what size are the holes?

Second question is I want to put a 76 front grill shell on my 79. The 76 is more the vertical grill look that is more the "Jeep" traditional look than the grill I have. Is this possible without any major modifications or should I just stick with what I have?

Thanks gang.
    1979 Cherokee 4 door "wookiee wagon"
  • Rhino Racer
    258 I6
    • Aug 07, 2002

Factory used some type of kepsnuts pressed into the sheetmetal, if they're not there or the sheetmetal is rusted out you'll have a hard time trying to use sheetmetal screws unless you back them with some 20 or 22ga sheetmetal from behind.

If you do a search there are a few threads on the subject. I don't like to send people searching but this subject has been well documented and there's some valuable info.
    <br /><br />82 Cherokee, 258, T-5, NP208, 33\" MTR\'s.

Comment

• woodybeone
      304 AMC
      • Sep 02, 2001

Yes. the factory used "well nuts":
      We provide high quality rivets, rivet tools, rivet guns, fastener, rivet machines and more! Call (800) 777-4838 for more information. 

I don't remember the size off hand.. possibly 10's? Anyway these can be had at a body supply store.
      They did an OK job with the factory rack but they do dry out and pull thru. For a heavy duty rack you need to drop the headliner and use some backing plates.
      Romans 8:28

Brian Ray

"If everyone's against you it means your absolutely wrong.....or absolutely right "

Comment

Working...
      X