• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crossfit_Wagon
    230 Tornado
    • Mar 15, 2014

Transmission swap from TF727 to a manual

Hello all you smart people. I am planning on swapping my TF727 in my 84. I am wanting to go with a 5 speed. I am looking at the NV4500 or the AX15. I am sure someone can chime in on what they have seen done. I have the stock NP229 T case and it can go to if that is the best thing to do. What T case do I go with if I pull it? It's a drivers side drop. I am looking at the info on Novak's website. It looks like the AX15 will be much cheaper but will it be the right way to go. Is there a tranny/t case combo that will bolt right or one that will require minimal adapter parts?

It will go behind a rebuilt 401 as well that will have around 400-450HP. Thanks for everyones help. I am a newbie and not much of a wrench guy so this is all new for me. I am having the work done by a friend who has been building FSJ's for a long time.

Thanks,
    Robbie
  • Mex in the city
    232 I6
    • Apr 25, 2008

A little bit of background; This is a 1991 Grand Wagoneer (we call it the Waggy) that we bought off of Craigslist. It was destined to become target practice, so we rescued it. We've been poking along, doing repairs and maintenance as needed to get it up to trustworthy condition. This swap is the first major thing we have done
    83 Wagoneer. Front: 35 spline D60, Coil spring conversion, E-Locker. Rear: Sterling 10.5, Shackle flip, Detroit. Gear ratio 5.38:1. 39.5 Interco Irok's, HEI, hydroboost, hydroassist, bob job, sliders, roll cage, 12K winch. Runs on propane!!!
    87 GW, 3", 4.10, 32" BFG AT, K8600, 2131, 1406, HEI, hydroboost.
    71 Datsun 240Z turbo.

Comment

• Crossfit_Wagon
      230 Tornado
      • Mar 15, 2014

Originally posted by Mex in the city

Thanks, I read this and this is what gave me the idea of the AX15.

Comment

AX-15 and 401 is a no-go as far as I'm concerned. It will work, but won't take punishment. T5 is far worse though. Barely enough for the 258. If you find any Jeep 4.0L with 4500, 5500 then it will be better. I don't know about the length for fitment, but I put an AX-15 with NP208 in my '83 J10.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 18, 2003

If your running a 401 with that much HP, I would skip the AX-15. The NV4500 is going to be your better choice.
          The AX15 is a good trans and can take some abuse, but that much HP is over its rated capicity. Add that to a already heavy vehicle, and the trans will be short lived. The NV4500 is going to be more expensive, but the better and stronger choice in the long run.
          If you could find a gas dodge version with a 23 spline output, most dodge/jeep NP transfer cases would bolt to it pretty easy. Then you could get a advance adapters plate to use a stock jeep bellhousing.
          If you find a chevy version with a 32 spline output, you could run a chevy NP241 transfer case. You could then either get a full conversion bellhousing, or swap in a dodge input shaft and then be able to run a adapter plate and a jeep bellhousing.
          79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
          Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
          93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• Crossfit_Wagon
            230 Tornado
            • Mar 15, 2014

Originally posted by JeepsAndGuns
            If your running a 401 with that much HP, I would skip the AX-15. The NV4500 is going to be your better choice.
            The AX15 is a good trans and can take some abuse, but that much HP is over its rated capicity. Add that to a already heavy vehicle, and the trans will be short lived. The NV4500 is going to be more expensive, but the better and stronger choice in the long run.
            If you could find a gas dodge version with a 23 spline output, most dodge/jeep NP transfer cases would bolt to it pretty easy. Then you could get a advance adapters plate to use a stock jeep bellhousing.
            If you find a chevy version with a 32 spline output, you could run a chevy NP241 transfer case. You could then either get a full conversion bellhousing, or swap in a dodge input shaft and then be able to run a adapter plate and a jeep bellhousing.

What about the T18? I already have one and not using it. Just wasn't sure if I would miss that 5th gear and would regret not going with the NV4500?

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

the T18 has horrible gear spacing and shifts like it belongs in an 18 wheeler.

nv4500 has a better shift but the same crappy ratios up to 4th gear.

you have a wagon? what gears in the axles.

also. what has been done to this 401? i ask because the 401 has been blown a bit out of proportion,and a fair amount of people seem to think their mighty 4-oh-1 makes 400+ hp because they put a 4 barrel on it,and it's simply not true. here a dyno run on a mild build with increased compression.

I bought my 1982 Cherokee Laredo in the fall of 2011, and I'm finally getting around to posting a build thread about it. I previously had a 1980 J10 that I bought new; the first truck and only 1 of 3 cars that I ever bought new. It was a 258 6/4 spd/208, and I loved that thing. I've had 10 4WD trucks over the years, and my

if you have a stock shortblock,and take it relatively easy the ax15 would survive,and be much nicer to drive.

if this is a mostly street driven car,no way would i recommend the T18. i'd be hesistant of the nv4500 too.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Crossfit_Wagon
                230 Tornado
                • Mar 15, 2014

Originally posted by Ristow
                the T18 has horrible gear spacing and shifts like it belongs in an 18 wheeler.

nv4500 has a better shift but the same crappy ratios up to 4th gear.

you have a wagon? what gears in the axles.

also. what has been done to this 401? i ask because the 401 has been blown a bit out of proportion,and a fair amount of people seem to think their mighty 4-oh-1 makes 400+ hp because they put a 4 barrel on it,and it's simply not true. here a dyno run on a mild build with increased compression.

I bought my 1982 Cherokee Laredo in the fall of 2011, and I'm finally getting around to posting a build thread about it. I previously had a 1980 J10 that I bought new; the first truck and only 1 of 3 cars that I ever bought new. It was a 258 6/4 spd/208, and I loved that thing. I've had 10 4WD trucks over the years, and my

if you have a stock shortblock,and take it relatively easy the ax15 would survive,and be much nicer to drive.

if this is a mostly street driven car,no way would i recommend the T18. i'd be hesistant of the nv4500 too.

Pretty similar built but 40 over, Harland roller rockers, Howell TBI and a few other things. I definitely don't want an 18 wheeler shifting rig.

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

id re-look at the ax15. you are nowhere near 400 horse.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• addicted
                    Big Meanie
                    • Dec 11, 2004

The NV3550 is another option. Supposed to be stronger than the AX-15 and it was also found behind the 4.0. They are harder to find and cost more because of it.
                    i bet it was Simon....
                    he's such big meanie that way...
                    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

a good alternative too. thanks simon.

Comment

I was talking to someone yesterday who said there were new 3550s available online for @$1500
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

id re-look at the ax15. you are nowhere near 400 horse.
                          Everyone talks HP when torque is what you need to worry about. The input shaft can handle only so much before it twists off and the stroker 6 cyls in lighter XJs and TJs tax them and kill them frequently.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

horsepower and torque go hand in hand. in a given rpm increase horsepower you increased torque. hp is the term people use.

sure you break it if you want with a i6. aint saying he wouldnt need to be careful.

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Carnuck
                              Everyone talks HP when torque is what you need to worry about. The input shaft can handle only so much before it twists off and the stroker 6 cyls in lighter XJs and TJs tax them and kill them frequently.
                              Torque vs. HP is just math...just different "terms/values".
                              Most dyno systems measure in torque and calculate the HP from that.

One is not more important than the other. Just depends on what limits you have to work with.
                              Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X