International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Gear Head

Carb spacer

My Edelbrock 1400 carb came with a 3/8 inch fiber spacer and a gasket. I believe your supposed to lay down the fiber, then the gasket then the carb. Has anyone used an aluminum spacer, phenolic spacer or plastic with any success? If so what were the results....ect and if you have a part # that'd be great. It just seems to me that fiber spacer is flaking apart and I don't have it installed yet. jim

87 Grand Wagoneer w/Sunroof ...BJ's 2.5" Lift,Tadrack, Dana 44's, 3.31 gear ratio, Warn SS diff skid plate, 31x10.5 A/T BF Goodrich tires, SS brake lines. Rebuilt 360, Edelbrock 3731 intake, 1400 carb and Z&M HEI Dist. 260H Crane Cam. Frame sandblasted and painted w/truck bed liner.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Master Mechanic

I ran the Poweraid 1" Holley (STD 4-bbl) aluminum spacer on the 401 in my Chief. My favorite spacer by far. I've tried the TD performance "Swirl Torque" and it's quality was terrible. I've also tried a plastic 1" Helical spacer and it is decent, but not what I expected. Poweraid is my choice and I'll be installing another one on my 360.

Here is a link:

Ebay Item # 250107858737

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Grease Monkey

Years ago Car Craft did a dyno shoot out on a bunch of different spacers. The end result of which brand did best escapes me, but the finding of any spacer is better than no spacer was pretty solid. I have seen 2 types of aluminum spacers most commonly dangling in the parts stores, one with 4 holes and one open, the 4 holed deal I think is an adapter of sorts for q-jet style carbs. They use different materials, plastic and what not to slow down heat transfer from the intake manifold to the carb. AMC used a spacer of sorts on the stock 360 2brls I have tinkered on, one part plastic and usually broken and one part compressed fiber that fits in the pastic part. I know the Edlebrock gasket you speak of and have never used it, I have always gone with an open aluminum/plastic spacer and two thin gaskets on each side. Seemed to work fine. Also a spacer can throw off your hood to air cleaner fit if your running a sky high after market open element air cleaner.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Gear Head

I use a 1" phenolic......gasket-spacer-gasket-carb......3 years no problem.
88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"