International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 09-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

i'm geting ready to paint my 87 grand wag and it seems that the woodgrain trim will best be taken off by drilling out the pop rivets. how do i reinstale it though? is there a special pop rivet tool and rivets i'll need to buy? i'm refering to to trim that goes around the woodgrain on the body.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Gear Head

both of my rigs have only 2 rivots each,one each side up front.The rivots dont seem to be special in any way.you could probably replace them with any rivot that was long enuff to to the trick.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:59 PM

Removing and re-installing the woodgrain on a Wag is one of the hardest things you will ever attempt! I've done it on 2 previous Wags I use to own and it sucked every time. First you have to remove the outline trim by drilling out the pop rivits, next you have to get a heat gun or blow dryer and heat the woodgrain up enough to melt the glue behind it but Not the woodgrain itself or it will rip. Just get yourself a 12 pack, a chair and a radio. You are going to be there a while! The trick is to try to get as much loose at one time without ripping it. Once you have it all off (witch should take you a month or so!) you will notice that the wag is still covered with glue. Removing the woodgrain does not remove the glue and if you try to sand the glue off, it will just turn into gum! To remove the glue, go to Autozone and get some 3M Adhesive Remover. Each can costs about $8.00 and it takes about 8-12 cans for a Wag. Also get yourself plenty of plastic scrapers. The 3M stuff makes the glue turn into goo and then you have to scrape off the goo! Now, putting the woodgrain back on!
If you go to your nearest MOPAR dealer, they can get you the Jeep woodgrain. It is not pre-cut and comes in 2' x 5' sections (I think) and each section will cost you $80. You will need 7 sections for a Wag and you will have to cut each section to fit. Now since the Wag has just been painted, you will not know the exact shape of each section and where it starts. Your only point of reference on the Wag will be the old pop rivit holes (assuming you can find them as the have been painted over). To figure out how to cut each section, use your outline trim as a stencil for each section. Good luck. This process takes over 250 hours and about $650. If your current woodgrain is in good shape then my advise is to just leave it alone. Tell the guy who is painting your Wag to mask it off (including the outline trim) and paint around it. I did this on my current Wag and it looks great!

Thanks, Kelly
Old 09-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

i'm going to remove the trim only and paint to the woodgrain. the woodgrain panels are in good shape.kelldog 2002, thank god i dont need to do what you did, that does sound like a complete p.i.t.a. one question though,there is one small spot were rust goes up under the woodgrain, can i just heat it up and peel that one small area back, and the reaply it?
Old 09-12-2002, 12:08 AM

No, when you heat the woodgrain it will stretch and you can't re-apply it, You will have to replace that panel using the instructions above.

Thanks, Kelly
Old 09-12-2002, 03:18 AM
Gear Head

The wood grain is like a big decal. I used to apply big decals on our bread trucks. I would spray a diluted mixture of dish soap (1 tbls per qt.) on the surface, peel the backing off and place the sticker. The dish soap will prevent it from sticking, and you can position it freely. When you have the top edge lined up, you take a hard squeegee and place it on the decal edge, and push upwards, squeezing out the dishsoap. Now she sticks. Then workd your way downwards, carefully and slowly. You do not have to get all the soap out at once, but once you squish all the soapy water from any one section, the glue will kick in. It is difficult to get it right without bubbles. Does this sound familer? Paint sounds better!!!
First Place Winner Ouray 2002 'Lowest Jeep'

'Homer" 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster

(Both named after my Great Grandmother, Louise Homer)

1978 Dodge B300 w/Chrysler 360 - 727

Denver, Colorado