• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoubleD
    232 I6
    • Jan 14, 2007

New j10 owner

Hi everyone, new to forum. First of many questions Im sure. The first question is I just bought a j10, havent even picked it up yet hopefully next weekend if time permits, the previous owner dont know much about it either it has a lever under the driver seat and when he moves this the truck wont move like it locks up. When he moves the lever back to original position seemes the truck is in 4h. Is this all time 4wd if not how do I switch in and out of 4wd? All I know about it so far is 76` j10 with dana 44`s. Tires 35-12.50/15. Thats about it. You all need more info to help me? Thanks in advance.

David
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

The lever on the floor is for Hi/Lo range only. It's a full time tcase(Borg-Warner Quadratrac) always in 4WD. The vacuum switch in the glove box locks the tcase in Emergency drive. In that mode you have to be on a slick surface, can't run it in E-drive on a dry paved road. And no you can't just add manual unlocking hubs to get a 2WD mode without converting the internals of the tcase to a part time unit($400+).
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• DoubleD
      232 I6
      • Jan 14, 2007

Is there a problem with something if it binds up shifting too 4L? When should the selecter in the glove box be moved if ever?

Comment

• grand_wag_85
        Murphy's Law Poster Child
        • Dec 03, 2003

When you get it try rolling forwards about 3-5mph in neutral and pull up on the lever while in 'E' Drive
        You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
        '88 GW
        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• DoubleD
          232 I6
          • Jan 14, 2007

What is the purpose of the e-switch in the glove box? For that matter why do you need a 4L if 4H goes everywhere? I own a chevy 4wd never need 4L in it either.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
            • Dec 03, 2003

Well full time 4WD will allow wheel slippage BUT 4WD Part Time locks the axles together do the torque is split 50/50 to each end and you can't use it on dry pavement like Full Time.

Low Range amplifies the engines torque output, in your case by about 2.5x. It's great for plowing, low-speed towing, driving thru DEEP water or snow or anytime you need all the traction you can get. The truck will work easier in low range.

'82 J10
            '88 GW
            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• DoubleD
              232 I6
              • Jan 14, 2007

I plan on using this on a farm for hunting going up and down steep hills and pulling a trailer with equipment to work in food plots that my 4-wheeler cant pull up the hills because they weigh to much or no traction so will I leave this in 4L or 4H and what should the selector in the glove box be set on? Also the guy who has the truck now says it binds up when he puts it in 4L but doesnt it have to be in nuterual to shift it into 4L? That may be why it is binding up.

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                • Dec 03, 2003

Well if you stay under 25-30 low range is all you need. You may want to consider better tires and some sort of locking/traction aid as that is my J10's BIGGEST problem, little AT's don't like mud.

I don't own(yet) and have never used the QT personally except from riding in a buddies Jeep but I'm guessing to be in 4Lo you need 'E' drive engaged. Check out the owners manual if you have access to one.

By binding does he mean the handle or the drivetrain? The drivetrain should bind while in 4lo and turning. If it's the handle it's something else.

'82 J10
                '88 GW
                '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• jaber
                  Dragin Az
                  • Oct 17, 2003

I use my 4 low for moving vehicles around the yard so its not so jerky trying to rev the motor to get the load to move. With low your high speed will be about 25 in 3rd. The switch in the dash I only use in snow to keep traction up. LMAO, snow in Aridzona.
                  Jeff

'43 cj2a
                  '51 Willys p/u
                  '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                  '68 Panel Delivery
                  '74 CJ5
                  '75 J-20 Wrecker
                  '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                  '77 J-10 p/u
                  '79 Cherokee
                  '88 Grand Wagoneer
                  '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• DoubleD
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 14, 2007

not sure exatly my guess is when he pulls the handle to go to 4L it wont move anymore per say binds up. Thats how I took it. Ill know more when I actually get it . If it has to be in neutral to shift to 4L ill bet he didnt do that.

Comment

• DoubleD
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 14, 2007

gw-85 it has 35-12.50/15 should that be enough tire?

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                        • Dec 03, 2003

Definately assuming they're knobbies

'82 J10
                        '88 GW
                        '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• DoubleD
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 14, 2007

Can it be run in e-drive in 4H or does it have to be in 4L to engage e-drive?

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                            • Dec 03, 2003

E-Drive is a part time 4WD high, locks both axles together. Sorry if I made that sound a little bit confusing there.

'82 J10
                            '88 GW
                            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• DoubleD
                              232 I6
                              • Jan 14, 2007

gw-85

You posted earlier that I my want a locker or better tires. Is the e-drive concidered a locker or did you mean another kind?

Comment

Working...
                              X