Found a wire nut inside a vacuum line...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rider99XX
    232 I6
    • Apr 07, 2009

Found a wire nut inside a vacuum line...

While looking at the engine compartment today I noticed a vacuum line that looked loose on the charcoal canister. It ran up to the carb and has a valve about midway in between the canister and the carb. The valve/sensor or what ever it is has wires coming out the back of it. Anyway the line looked a bit loose where it attached to the charcoal can so I pulled it loose(it didn't take much effort to pull it off). I looked inside the line to find something orange and threaded. I knew right away what it was and decided to remove it. It was about 1.5 inches from the end of the line and wedged in tight as bark on a tree.

Ended up having to cut the line up past the wire nut. I reinstalled the line to the canister and started the engine. It seemed to run as good as it did with the wire nut in the line.

My question is what if any adverse effect would that line being plugged have on the engine, carb, price of tea in Moab, quantum physics, who shot JR? What is the device inline between the canister and the carb? The vac line hooks to the far right connection on the canister viewed from the front of the Jeep.

Nothing like chasing down PO's reasons for doing what they did to your Jeep
    Terry & Anne, Brandon MS
    87 Grand Wagoneer, all stock, 360, 2bbl. Our first Jeep.
  • HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

I bought my 77 in SW Utah. While fueling up in NV I noticed it was leaking. Upon further investigation at an auto parts store I found the previous owner plugged an auxillary gas line with a COLD CREAM jar. Had it stuffed into the fuel line and a hose clamp secured down on it.
    The guy was a class A Jerk.
    Tom Gibson
    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
    1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
    2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• scantar
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Jul 16, 2005

The plugged hose is a vent line from the carb to the canister. The electrical piece is a solenoid that (when it works) closes the venting passage when the engine is running and opens it when the current to it is off.

In theory, plugging it shouldn't affect the running of the Jeep since there isn't vacuum through it and it's purpose is or emissions control, although there have been more than a few peeps reporting their float bowl with carbon particles in it.
      '76 Waggy, TH400, Quadratrac and a fourOH!one Sold

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL

Comment

• Rider99XX
        232 I6
        • Apr 07, 2009

Thanks guys. I'm sure the PO probably plugged the line trying to track down another problem. Or it could have happened when the PO's PO rebuilt the engine. Who knows. Anyway it's out and it seems to run as good as it did with it in the line.

Thanks for the info guys
        Terry & Anne, Brandon MS

Comment

• GWChris
          304 AMC
          • Jan 22, 2005

The bowl vent valve is probably shot - most are, but maybe you'll get lucky. When the ignition is turned on, try to blow though it. As Steve said, if it is open when the ignition is on then it's shot.

If it is shot, then plug it until you can get another - hopefully with a bit more class than the PO did! If the bowl is vented to the outside of the airfilter then your A/F mixture will be off.

Comment

• Rider99XX
            232 I6
            • Apr 07, 2009

I investigated a little deeper and found a SCREW between the cab and canister . It was about 1.5 inches down the the line. The air compressor took care of it The line was plugged on both sides of the valve and the goober used black silicone to "seal it up good and tight"

Well the solenoid/bowl vent valve is shot. I can blow through it with the key on or off. So I'll plug it until I can locate a new valve.

Now, what size wire nut or screw should I use

Anybody know where I can get a new solenoid/bowl vent valve
            Terry & Anne, Brandon MS

Comment

• greg lester
              230 Tornado
              • Apr 01, 2009

Parts

Look at www.teamgrandwagoneer.com
              Type in the search solenoid

Comment

• Rider99XX
                232 I6
                • Apr 07, 2009

Yep http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/ has them.

THANKS!!
                Terry & Anne, Brandon MS

Comment

Working...
                X