• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lyman DeKoquonut
    232 I6
    • Nov 14, 2004

Should I Go TFI from Build Your 4X4

I am an eyelash away from buying the TFI Kit with the high output Moroso TFI coil and 8 Bosch plugs for $180-ish. Any good/bad/other experiences with this kit and/or company before I proceed?

[ December 10, 2004, 06:49 AM: Message edited by: Lyman DeKoquonut ]
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - RIP 07/19/05.<br /><br />2002 Camaro SS<br />2001 Regal GS<br />2000 Durango SLT

I never knew anyone was offering a TFI KIT. I lean towards the HEI ignition so I have nothing to say for or against the TFI upgrade. Here is a couple links to TFI ignition and costs for all the components.
    TFI Link 1
    TFI Link 2
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• 2MUD-IN
      350 Buick
      • Jan 31, 2004

Good links. Looks like you can save some cash, if you don't mind sourcing the parts yourself.
      Thanks,
      2MUD-IN.

Comment

• Great Pharoah
        350 Buick
        • May 07, 2002

I bought the kit with the Bosch plugs, the Accel 8.8 wires, and the MSD Blaster coil. All in all it was a good install, and a good kit. I only have three issues and they are minor. 1. The Accel wires came with 90 degree boots. Next time I'll get 45 degree, those 90s are a PITA. 2. I wish there were better plug options, I'd like to get Beru Silverstone, or NGK Iridium plugs. A little pricier yes, but both are excellent plugs. 3. I thought about getting some Magnacore wires, but they weren't available either, however the Accel wires are probably just as good. I got the MSD coil because I will put an MSD 6A module on it when I rebuild the engine from the donor rig. That'll be sometime late next spring, if all goes well.
        mike
        American Jobs should be for Americans.
        Some Cheros run at 75, and some do 69,
        But if I can get mine to start and run at all, I think I'm doing fine.

Big Mike
        "Whoopi" 80 Cherokee Golden Hawk. 360/727/208
        Horseshoe Bay, Texas

Comment

• AMX factor
          360 AMC
          • Apr 06, 2003

buildyour4x4 is owned and operated by a board member here. His kit is actually good. It has all new parts and they are of good quality not cheap parts. The TFI upgrade is oen of the cheaper ways to upgrade your ignition system. I run it on mine.
          "I'm sick of this sickness, don't touch me you'll get this."
          1984 GWag "orphan" for sale
          2 x 1975 Matador "murder machines"
          1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Comment

• jode
            JB Welder
            • Apr 08, 2002

Thanks for all the feedback folks - looks like we'll need to work on offering some new alternative upgrades for the kit.
            No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• Great Pharoah
              350 Buick
              • May 07, 2002

Hey Jode, I'm very happy with the kit, and the way it improves my performance. And those Beru Silverstones are like $9.00 a plug, eight of them is going to be expensive. I'm happy man, very happy
              American Jobs should be for Americans.
              Some Cheros run at 75, and some do 69,
              But if I can get mine to start and run at all, I think I'm doing fine.

Big Mike
              "Whoopi" 80 Cherokee Golden Hawk. 360/727/208
              Horseshoe Bay, Texas

Comment

• Lyman DeKoquonut
                232 I6
                • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by jode:
                Thanks for all the feedback folks - looks like we'll need to work on offering some new alternative upgrades for the kit.
                So you can do one with the 45 degree boots then???? : )
                1991 Grand Wagoneer - RIP 07/19/05.<br /><br />2002 Camaro SS<br />2001 Regal GS<br />2000 Durango SLT

Comment

• roadgrime
                  350 Buick
                  • Apr 17, 2003

just a shamelss plug but it answers the original question. get em from buildyour4x4.com I have tried pricing out all the parts new seperately and could not beat the price and having looked at all the parts jode offers in the kit its well worth it as they are quality parts.

Comment

• reddog
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 26, 2000

Originally posted by 2MUD-IN:
                    Good links. Looks like you can save some cash, if you don't mind sourcing the parts yourself.
                    Very true! I got an Accel cap/rotor and new plug wires. Found the distributor adapter, coil/bracket and a spare ignition box from the local pick-ur-part (look at eighties Fords for the parts) for a grand total of about $100.

Question: Do all these kits include plug wires??

[ December 11, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: reddog ]
                    87 GW<br />4\" Skyjacker system<br />TFI upgrade<br />360,727,NP229<br />it looks a little more like RiverBeast - and I\'m not dreaming!...<br />... just another 10 inches or so to go ...<br /><br />and NOW with an interesting bend to the body...

Comment

• jode
                      JB Welder
                      • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by Lyman DeKoquonut:
                      So you can do one with the 45 degree boots then???? : )
                      Accel's catalogue isn't exactly the greatest when it comes to trying to find parts that fit on FSJs...and the techs are never much help cuz they usually don't even know what an FSJ is. We're doing some research and we may end up just dropping the Accel 8.8mm wires in favor of a different brand. FYI, the standard kit with the normal 8mm wires come with 180 degree boots (which work just fine)

Originally posted by reddog:
                      Question: Do all these kits include plug wires??
                      I can speak for the BUILDYOUR4X4 kit - yes, it does.
                      No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• hoyboy1986
                        232 I6
                        • Oct 21, 2003

Did the upgrade but didn't get it from 4X4 for the single reason of not wanting to wait for the parts. NAPA had all the parts in the warehouse, so I spent an extra 50-60 for having the parts NOW. I ended up getting the same parts that the 4X4 kit comes with and was/am very pleased.
                        89 G-wag<br />2 inch BJ\'s Kit<br />Holley Blue line Fuel Pump<br />Optima Yellow Top<br />Freshly Rebuilt 2150<br />TFI and upcoming MSD

Comment

• drives mopars
                          258 I6
                          • Feb 01, 2004

i di d coil from summitt they have tfis that are MSD red high output coils for about 40.00
                          bracket cost 8. also summitt sells cap red
                          for the wide cap ford
                          and adapter came from them too

bracket from 84 tubo t bird ford still has it

thats it from 8mm wires and new plugs

b
                          93 dodge diesel 89 360 grd waggie<br />ham call kk6dm,want 4bt w/p pump

Comment

• 20ozJolt
                            327 Rambler
                            • Aug 25, 2004

the accel 8.8's are like 65- (i should have bought them from you...) and as far as i know they dont have any 45's for the cap (with the 8.8's)

what is the dif with the tfi coil??
                            over a accel or mst high output coil?
                            75' J-10, a never ending tinker toy

Jeeps and guns other then a good dog whats a man need?

.Rick.
                            wants to put a jet engine in a J-10....

Comment

• jode
                              JB Welder
                              • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by 20ozJolt:
                              what is the dif with the tfi coil??
                              over a accel or mst high output coil?
                              Actually, you can't really ask that because both Accell and MSD make high-output TFI coils as well. TFI is a style of coil introduced on Ford vehicles to compete with GM's HEI. It is a completely different design than the "can-style" coil that FSJs come with and puts out a better spark jolt. However, in order to use the coil, you have to upgrade a few other components in your ignition (hence the "TFI kit").

Comment

Working...
                              X