• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uberhahn
    232 I6
    • Dec 14, 2003

Replacement gutter trim?

Does anyone have a source for rain gutter trim? I'm getting ready for body work. My current gutter trim is plastic, chromed on top, then has a plastic coating on top of the chrome that has yellowed and is flaking. I don't want to put it back on after paint.

Any suggestions welcome.

BTW, I posted a few more videos of the work I'm doing on it, including removing the quarter windows.

How I do things. Not always the easy way. Not always the best way. But my way. And, usually, 60% of the time it works 80% of the time... Experiences, mistakes, victories, defeats...
    It followed me home, honest...
    Newly acquired 1986 GW. 4? (I think Rusty?s lift).
    Needs interior work. Smells like a refinery on the outside. Relatively rust free.
  • men in black
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 08, 2006

Forget about the plastic stuff, that's crap.
    Get some earlier stainless steel gutter trim
    That's what I got for my 1990 GW
    1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
    Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
    Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
    Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• uberhahn
      232 I6
      • Dec 14, 2003

I'd love to find some. Where? Is there a source other than ebay for old ones?
      Needs interior work. Smells like a refinery on the outside. Relatively rust free.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

A lucky junkyard trip or a post in the wanted forum here or the other site.

Be aware that you need the angle pieces between the top and front pieces. Yours are bigger due to the plastic trim being thicker.

Prolly could squeeze the later ones down if you had to.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• 61Hawk
          258 I6
          • Jul 18, 2009

Originally posted by SJTD
          A lucky junkyard trip or a post in the wanted forum here or the other site.

Be aware that you need the angle pieces between the top and front pieces. Yours are bigger due to the plastic trim being thicker.

Prolly could squeeze the later ones down if you had to.

The stainless fit without any issues on my '89 GW. Fitting isn't an issue, finding stainless is.

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Reading comprehension fail.

As I said, it's the corner pieces that are different for the metal stuff.
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• jsinajeep
              304 AMC
              • Nov 26, 2005

I did away with them on my 89 when I have it painted and had them paint the SS corner to match. It look good without the long trim.
              http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• SJTD
                304 AMC
                • Apr 26, 2012

I left it off too but welded patches in the corners.
                Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

for a cheaper alternative
                  i used the universal chrome plastic trim

it is not a channel that snaps on

it is flat on back with 3M adhesive
                  ...peel and stick

comes on a long roll, more than enuff to do a wagoneer

the chrome surface is slightly domed or rounded

available on ebay or at some parts stores
                  make sure you get the right width

sure, it will fail eventually
                  but it will last a long time especially if vehicle is garaged,
                  and it is easy to replace
                  ....low cost and looks great
                  the corner metal elbow even works with it.

i agree,... finding stainless trim is nice
                  but you have to be skilled to remove and install without damage
                  (even buffing long thin stainless pieces is a challenge )
                  i have heard of a buffer wheel catching pieces like that
                  and destroying them.

good luck.
                  dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• frossfross

• May 14, 2011

Rain gutter reproduction

Hello my friend, I work currently on project to rebuilt the rain gutter, in stainless style version include, main gutter, the corner and on each side of the windshied, subscribe to my newsletter to stay inform about this project.

I am continually trying to make some hard to  find parts  for older Jeeps like the Gladiator  or the Wagoneer  available on the market. This includes design ,  prototyping ,  production  and distribution, not to mention the marketing
                    My name is Dominique, my mother tongue is french, I own a restored white jeep full Size Cherokee chief 1978 - I really like the FSJ and I decided to engage my time to help you during your restoration, I rebuilt some older and unavailable parts for these. I do this after my main job. Currently I sell bumper nerfs stripe for 81-91 grand wagoneer and clear lens cover for 64-75.

My store : http://jeepcherokeechief.ecwid.com
                    E bay : http://stores.ebay.com/jeepcherokeechief

Comment

• uberhahn
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 14, 2003

Originally posted by jsinajeep
                      I did away with them on my 89 when I have it painted and had them paint the SS corner to match. It look good without the long trim.
                      Do you have a picture of what it looks like without the long piece? As I'm getting ready for some body work and a repaint, I'm seriously considering going "naked" on these.

Comment

• uberhahn
                        232 I6
                        • Dec 14, 2003

Originally posted by frossfross
                        Hello my friend, I work currently on project to rebuilt the rain gutter, in stainless style version include, main gutter, the corner and on each side of the windshied, subscribe to my newsletter to stay inform about this project.

https://www.jeepcherokeechief.com/je...tters-products

Looking forward to the development. Can always use more FSJ vendors. And from my home state too!

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

Fross Fross does make great products
                          i bought the bumper nerf strip pads

great reproduction.

although many FSJ owners dismiss the cheap stick on trim for the rain gutter,....

i am kinda picky and it looks great to me

really shiny and cheap

NOTE:
                          ( not quite as picky as i used to be, i am 48 and the older i get the more i realize all the old classics i have are just vehicles, and it is more enjoyable to drive and own them if you do not obsess so much. )

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• pickledtoast
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 13, 2018

Interesting youtube channel, I subscribed. I wasn't able to pop off the harness/terminal strip from my driver's side window/door lock switch with light wedging, figured there was something else holding it on. I see from your video that it in fact does just wedge off the male pins. Thanks for the video. Anyway...

For gutter trim I was going to go with the metal trim off a Jeep XJ cherokee. it's curved at the end, but the straight section is roughly 80" long. Waggy is 92". I was going to buy 3 of them; two for each horizontal section, one cut appropriately for the lengths next to the windshield, and the remainder behind the longer horizontal sections. i'd cut carefully so that the edge would hopefully not be noticeable for the last 12".

They are currently ~$26 at rockauto for the one side, and I don't think it matters for us because we're cutting off the angled end piece anyway.

Here's the same thing on ebay, mostly because I don't know how to link to rockauto individual part.

I like the way my drip rails look painted, so I will probably leave them that way.

Comment

• jsinajeep
                              304 AMC
                              • Nov 26, 2005

Originally posted by uberhahn
                              Do you have a picture of what it looks like without the long piece? As I'm getting ready for some body work and a repaint, I'm seriously considering going "naked" on these.
                              See if you can make these bigger

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

Working...
                              X