• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

how do ya like that?! (Tailgate stuff)

My original wiper motor ACTUALLY WORKS!!!

Earlier this week, I was driving the Wagon through some crappy weather. (sleeting for the most part) Back window fogged up some and got a layer of that crap on the outside, and I was thinkin, "it'd be nice if the damn window defroster worked".

Back when I got a lift bar for the glass and pulled the tailgate apart, I tested that and found that it drew quite a bit of power. (according to the gauge in dash) I found that when on, that the defroster just heated up the wires going to the grids instead of the grid itself. So, I disconnected them and left it as is.

Today, just on a wim, I took the panel back off the tailgate and decided to check it out. Of coarse the connections were dirty as can be, so I cleaned them up. A good while ago I cleaned all the grounds i could reach in there. Got them plugged back in, and when cycled on it doesn't show much of a drag on the gauge anymore. Then again, I got a CS-130 alt, so that makes good power too, and can keep the system up better. The actual grid lines look good, with no visible breaks so hopefully its working. I wont know until I drive that Jeep in the colder weather again. I suppose I could take the multi tester to it too.

On to the Wiper motor.

I've tried it from the switch up in the dash a long while ago and it never did anything. No noise or nothin'. I just figured it didn't work.
    So, while the tailgate was open and the glass was up, I just flat out pulled it. I wanted to see if i could take it apart and play with it, and if I found that it was messed up inside (or burned out motor) that I'd wander next door to the junkyard and pick up a durango motor.

After I pulled it and disconnected it, i found that funky little switch in the tailgate again. ...gee, I forgot about that in there... The top half of it was busted off, so when the glass was up it never made contact with the lift arm on that side. I never found out what that switch was for... Just for the heck of it, I plugged the motor back in and had the switch held with a needle nose plier.

Turned off the radio, and heard something buzzing in the back. Walked back there and holy , it's actually working

So, I cleaned the case up. I jb welded some cracks in the plastic and re-sealed it some. Someone was in here before and sealed the crap out of everything with rtv. I also noticed that even though it had the outer nut, the shaft with the threads broke off long ago. So, a previous owner (or crappy mechanic) drilled 3 holes in the tailgate (under the little cover) and put screws in that screwed into the motor housing. Real fancy stuff.
    I just put it all back as it was for now. I disconnected the switch and just jumped the wires that went to it. I got it back together now and yea, it actually works good. Had to get a blade for it now, so I scarfed one at the junkyard .

This isn't too hard for me to get to, So I was wondering if anyone knows of any maintenance I can do to this little motor assembly to keep it alive. I wanted to take it apart, but some dummy filled all the screw holes with rtv sealer and I didn't feel like digging that crap out.
    I don't know if I should disassemble it and refill with grease, or what. Maybe these motors are dry inside...IDK.

What's usually the killer of these? Do they seize? Do the motors just burn out? I was shocked that it worked. My tailgate is pretty junky, and even had a few rust holes in it....before I put a patch in.

2 functions that still don't work back there: The window wash cant seem to push fluid back there and of coarse, my tailgate key switch is bad and disconnected. Odd thing about the window wash... The motor sounds like its working, but I get nothing out the back, or any noises(such as sqirting sound or whatever).
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

I'd be interested to know this too. My rear wiper works, and surprisingly well. It's much faster than the one on my other Jeeps and clears the window well.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

So, I guess no one else besides us has an original working tailgate wiper motor. wow. I heard they weren't very reliable, but I'm a bit surprised about that.

Well, through some tough research I did find a few death sentences for these motors. Apparently they can have electrical issues from a component board that is inside the housing, (I suppose water contamination issue?). That don't sound like it'd be too hard to fix once a motor is apart.

I've also read about them overheating and burning out the motor. I suppose that's possible. The unit is very compacted together, but when I had mine on while outside of the tailgate, I didn't even notice it getting warm...

and the Last failure that I read about is the motor shaft (that the wiper arm attaches too) seizes up to the outer threaded shaft that the motor mount nut goes onto. IDK, I guess I could see this if the outer shaft started deteriorating and pieces of that got jammed inside with the output shaft but
      Looking at mine, there looked to be plenty of space inside before the shaft and outer stud would even make contact.
      Well, to keep that from happening, I saw something about filling the space with grease, and then using something(like a soft rubber hose) as a seal to keep grease in and water out.

Whats everyone else think of this? Suggestions?

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

I think they only put them on 2 years GW so probably not a lot have one.
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• acct21
          327 Rambler
          • May 20, 2014

They were added in 1989 -- so yeah, 2 years and some change got them.

I have held three of original rear wiper motors in my hands -- and all of them were complete garbage. These were pieces that were custom made for Chrysler -- and seem to have only gone in the Grand Wagoneer. The design was awful, but was surpassed by the even-more-awful build quality. Cheap powdered metal case, flimsy plastic, and no intent to actually seal the thing from moisture.

Not all ideas are good ideas, and the OEM GW rear wiper motor was not a good idea. The one in OP's rig has already demonstrated the (irreparable) fractured case kiss-of-death, and needs to go the way of the Dodo bird. It cannot realistically be maintained or salvaged -- it will fail in pretty short order.

Do yourself a huge favor and go pick up a couple Durango motors, and do the conversion. You'll be happy you did.

First, I want to give credit to Sonoraed (not sure if he's on this site -- maybe just the other one) for the idea. He tried and seems to be the first to post a finished product. He claimed to me he got the idea from somebody else. Anyway, I don't claim credit for discovering that this works. Second, sorry for the poor write up
          1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• ZackN920
            350 Buick
            • Nov 18, 2015

I need to get on here more than once a week now... The season is keeping me busy.

anyways...
            I thought the rear wipers appeared in 1988? That would be 4 years, and Even if it was '89, that would still be 3 years... Even though there were only 1500 or so '91s.

We'll see what "short order" mine will fail in. It will probably still work for a couple of years with how much I use a rear wiper...
            I probably will pick up a Durango motor, but I can't say when i'd put it in. I guess whenever the turd does decide to quit. Y'all will probably hear about that if it happens...

Comment

• acct21
              327 Rambler
              • May 20, 2014

Rear wipers intro'd in '89 -- hence the "two years ['89,'90] and some change ['91]"

Good luck with the OEM.
              1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• fsj454
                Long time member
                • Jan 02, 2015

My rear wiper works fine .Never had to mess with it YET....
                1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

Working...
                X