International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 06-13-2013, 05:17 PM

Ignition issues :(

My 1990 GW has some ignition issues. At some point, the ignition switch was replaced with a GMC switch and key. The key fits loosely, and even falls out while running on occasion.
In the past few days, the Jeep has also been intermittently (and now more frequently) refusing to crank. At all. There is power in the dash, but when I turn the key, nothing happens. I have been able to crank it successfully a few times by turning the ignition switch on and then crossing the terminals on the starter solenoid with a screwdiriver, although when I just tried it, all I got was whirring starter motor (I may not have had the switch in the right position). What's going on here?! Any suggestions?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:30 PM

I suspect the switch, especially after reading this: http://www.nichols.nu/tip567.htm
I could be wrong though. How would I accomplish the equivalent of the following in a FSJ? "test for 12 vdc on terminal Q13 at the bottom of the power panel when the ignition switch is in the start position"
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 PM

Well, I take that back - looks like I have the correct key and switch: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FUyZ4Aodwj4AoA
It is still loose, though
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM

hang test

Just an FYI...... There is a gear on the end of the key cylinder which is plastic. It turns another piece which pushes a rod. The rod goes down the column t another starter switch which is mount above the column down by your feet. It's held on by two sheet metal screws. Take it off by slightly lowering the column and test it there buy activating it with a small screw driver where the rod goes into the switch. It's detented for all the key positions, and is slightly adjustable when you reinstall it.
04 BMW 325
85 FLT
77 Hercules 250
ASUS laptop with theamcfurom.com as homepage
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM

The part the key goes in on the column is "not" the ign switch. What you're showing is the lock cylinder. The key/lock cyl is connected to the ign switch via a rod. The ign switch is on the top side of the steering column near the bottom end of the column. Before you buy any parts make sure the connecting rod is installed correctly and functioning properly. I'd guess whoever installed the new lock cyl botched the rod install.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:37 PM

Thanks, guys!
I ran a wire from the battery post on the starter relay, through the firewall, into the cab, connected to a spring-loaded toggle switch, back through the firewall, to the solenoid post on the starter relay, and I can crank the Jeep that way. when the ignition switch is in the "crank" position. So it seems to me that that backs up the thought that it is a problem somewhere with the ignition switch. Any more tips/links/pics/help on the connecting rod? My FSM still has not arrived yet, and I don't see much on it in the Haynes.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Grease Monkey

It is a basic GM column. Did you test the actual switch down on the column?

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM

No, I didn't - don't know how to do that yet,
Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM

I'm still having intermittent issues with this, and it's driving me nuts.

Most of the time now, when I turn the key, the lights and gauges will come on, but nothing cranks. I get a click, and that is it. It does occasionally crank.

Just replaced the lock cylinder, since it was worn out and the key was loose enough to fall out anyway.

Does anybody have some tips/steps/instructions/details on testing the column mounted ignition switch? What's the next thing to look at? Over the course of the last 18 months, it has gotten a new battery, starter, and alternator, and the connections have been cleaned. I'm thinking it may be issues with the ECM - would that cause intermittent starting issues like I'm having?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest the FSJ
I'm still having intermittent issues with this, and it's driving me nuts.

Most of the time now, when I turn the key, the lights and gauges will come on, but nothing cranks. I get a click, and that is it. It does occasionally crank.

Just replaced the lock cylinder, since it was worn out and the key was loose enough to fall out anyway.

Does anybody have some tips/steps/instructions/details on testing the column mounted ignition switch? What's the next thing to look at? Over the course of the last 18 months, it has gotten a new battery, starter, and alternator, and the connections have been cleaned. I'm thinking it may be issues with the ECM - would that cause intermittent starting issues like I'm having?

Nooooo, the ECM shouldn't affect that at all.

Check voltage out of your ignition switch on the solenoid wire. I don't have my diagrams by me right now, but I think it's a green 14 gauge wire. (I could be wrong, that just might be my repressed GM memories). Check to make sure you are getting voltage at the starter relay. Also check to be sure the relay is getting a good solid ground signal when the shifter is in Park or Neutral. The last check is for voltage from the relay to the starter.

I gotta check my wiring diagrams, but I think that's about it in the circuit.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.