International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 11-04-2014, 02:54 PM
350 Buick

It looks like Nathan and I have similar history Brian. I struggled all through grade school and went on to get my associates degree in automotive from a community college. Imagine the surprise to all who knew me when I made the Deans List three times! Perhaps Nathan will turn things around too.

As others have said I would not get carried away with buying too many tools too soon. I would definitely take advantage of the used tool market. I know a regular dealer at a local flea market who has an abundance of good quality used tools. I have, on a few occasions walked away with some great tools at 1/3 the cost of new.
Resistance is not futile yet.
Are you and your children connected yet?
Old 11-05-2014, 10:57 AM
350 Buick

Another vote for craftsman. Any tools you buy online or in the store will most likely be made in china now. I caught wind of them moving to china and bought up everything in sight. Kinda got outta hand for awhile with the tool buying, but Im very glad I did. I have most of anything Ill ever need besides specality tools. Watch them online. You'll find a lot of set for 50% off and do do store pickup or free shipping to your house. Think its free over $70 or something like that. You can also apply for a free syw rewards program. I had free shipping for a year on anything, wore that out!

I collect ratchets too. All craftsman.

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM

I own a small 4x4 shop here in Missouri. I started tinkering on my own Jeeps and soon enough I had enough "buddies" that I decided to go legit. I do have some craftsman ratchets, they seem to hold up the best, but as for sockets, breaker bars, anything without moving parts, I use harbor freight. I have broken craftsman's 1/2 breaker bars and never dented the the harbor freights sockets and wrenches. I have went through 3-4 harbor fright ratchets though. On hand tools, anything that has moving parts, gears, ect, I don't usually get HF unless they have amazing reviews. When it comes to welders, torches, or plasmas, buy from the top brands, they truly are top for a reason. HF tool boxes, their big red "general pro" brand is better then anything other than the mutlithousand dollar models. I would never buy one of the new craftsman, kobalt, ect tool boxes. snap on, mac, or HF. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:29 PM
350 Buick

I love my craftsman tool boxes. They aren't the cheap 'standard duty' craftsman tool boxes. I always get the ball bearing tool box that I THINK is made in USA. box said USA on it, but could've meant assembled.
1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360
Old 11-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Master Mechanic

I'd vote for the better Craftsman line.

BEWARE Craftsman Evolv hand tools-they are NOT guaranteed like the normal craftsman hand tools. They will not replace them if you break them. It's written in little tiny print because Craftsman is embarrassed, which they should be.
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
1986 Honda XR600R
1984 Chevy 3500 Box Truck
Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 PM
232 I6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlagger
I'd vote for the better Craftsman line.

BEWARE Craftsman Evolv hand tools-they are NOT guaranteed like the normal craftsman hand tools. They will not replace them if you break them. It's written in little tiny print because Craftsman is embarrassed, which they should be.

I tend to disagree here.

This is not an attack on anyone, I just see this over and over.

You buy the cheapest line in the store and expect it to be as good as snap-on? To carry the same warranty?

Don't get me wrong I won't buy them (actually think I may have a set of pliers in one of the vehicle boxes, but they where a gift and held up ok to the limited use they see, but that's just it, they don't get used except when I stop to help someone or in the rare case of a breakdown).

I don't think they should be ashamed for giving people a cheaper line of tools, those tools can have there place to. I always keep a couple "disposable" tool sets around. Never know when a buddy may to borrow some tools

Last edited by gopher_6_9 : 11-05-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 PM
King Browless

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepiece188
It looks like Nathan and I have similar history Bryan. I struggled all through grade school and went on to get my associates degree in automotive from a community college. Imagine the surprise to all who knew me when I made the Deans List three times! Perhaps Nathan will turn things around too.
Dan, it my earnest Prayer that he succeeds in school.

Personally, I floundered for many years without a degree.
I was a hard worker, but hard work can only carry you so far.
I lost jobs, was unemployed, underemployed, unemployed again and lost a nice home and ended up working crap jobs.
...but the doors that the piece of paper would open were always closed for me.
After years of struggling and work my butt off, I finally earned my Bachelors are age 49.
Magically, The Doors of Opportunity opened for me.
When I stepped through, I found people half my age already building their careers, saving for retirement, enjoying life.
While I could have a pity party over the years I squander without a degree, but I do not...I will work until I die, never to retire, but it will be on my terms.

So...I am yammering...again...about what?
I want my son Nathan to not struggle and squander his life like I have.
I want to help him on the right path, but I want him to find it on his own, with maybe some directions I can offer.

The one thing I've had a hand in influencing him: he likes J Series Trucks
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 PM
King Browless

WOW!
Thank you for all your recommendations, advice and kinds words.

First, thank you for your comments about my son Nathan.
Some of you have met Nathan at Meet and Greets, car shows, Wrench-O-Thons or if you have been at my house.
I am real proud of him and while I do not know what the future holds for him I am sure he will do well, for he is a good kid.

Here is a recent pic of him, just finishing up his Boy Scout Eagle Project.

A lot of my tools are mixture of Craftsman that I have had for 20+ years.
A large set I bought when I was first married.

Several years ago, Stanley was selling their US made surplus on their eBay Outlet Store.
I bought a lot of Stanley tools for cheap, sometimes paying as much for shipping as I did for the set.
Little did I know, those were the last of their US made inventory and when I found out, the eBay store was gone.
Next, Walmart now carries Stanley hand tools, Chinese made.
Are they the same quality? I dunno
Say what you will about Stanley use made ratchet wrenches or socket sets, they are awesome in my humble opinion.

The other think about Nathan I am proud of, he is awesome with tools
He always organised and cleaning the tool box.
If you tell him you need a certain fraction wrench, he grabs the correct one the first time.
If he is taking off a part and has the wrong size tool, he will ask the correct size.
He is an awesome young man...if I could only get him to bring his grades up.

I think I will stick with a nice Craftsman set for a Christmas Present

Here is the one I like and can afford:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-309-p...2&blockType=G2

I like it because it has both SAE and Metric in both 6 and 12 point sockets.
Also the ratchet wrenches are a huge bonus.
I like this set.
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 11-17-2014, 08:43 PM
350 Buick

I have some stanley stuff, from walmart, has been great. Irwin is decent too. When I buy from stores, I look for stuff made in Taiwan if there is a choice ... same with kobalt. I think It's better. Of course usa first, but sadly that's getting harder to find on a budget.
Hard to go wrong with craftsman too.

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.