International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Events > MidWest FSJ Invasion

Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Junk Collector

Blocks...that sends a shiver through my spine...I guess that is one way to join the Mickey Mouse club......

Does anyone know of a rear spring that is used on another vehicle that could possibly give me 4" of lift?

Last edited by Retro93 : 11-02-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:04 AM

Measure your good spring and maybe you can match it up with something on this list..

1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM
King Browless

Are you guys considering another WOT weekend?
1981 J20: Commercial flat bed. Long term Project: RUST! No Cab Brow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrodoh
...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindel
Best laid plans, yada yada yada...
Old 11-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Junk Collector

HOOT mentioned it, but no firm date has been set.

I've been working on the #$&&^&(*&)*%$# tailgate all day. There is some Jeep engineer sitting in hell laughing at me the deeper I get into it.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:05 PM

That spring chart do you any good?
I'm available Thanksgiving weekend. Any other weekend will have me working here at work on Friday nights, which means me not getting there until Saturday noonish at the earliest.
I'm up for another though whenever.
1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Junk Collector

Slow progress is being made putting her back together. Today, I put on the doors. She really look's funny with orange doors, black front end, and white body. Hopefully, I'll have enough good weather to at least get a coat of red primer on to hide all of the different colors.

I have been patching the floors, using metal from the junk hood I have. So far so good.

I also have been working on the tailgate. All of the internal parts such as the latches etc. were toast. I pulled the guts from the '79 and installed them in place of the junk. When I tried to latch the gate it was a no go. Because it has a stock spring in place on the driver's corner, the resulting body sag is pulling the gate opening out of square. When I jacked the frame up level the gate shut and latched just fine. I need to get busy cobbling together a spring to increase the lift. That look's like fun.

More details to follow.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Junk Collector

Thirty degrees below normal temperature for this time of year. Work has stopped on the Chero while I make arrangements to get it in the garage. I HATE WINTER!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 AM

I hear you. I spent 2 hours out n the freezing rain Sunday night trying to get headlights in the J10 so I could drive it. I got it all in shortly after dark and got hem aimed where i wanted them. Went out in the snow Monday to go to work and realised it had no heat...

The F350 is pulling winter duty till I get a chance to pull the heater core and get it working right.

I still need to get the J20 carcass out from the front of the garage to get a truck indoors to work on them.
NOTHING has happened this week so far. this weekend may be another story.

Bilstein has screwed up my order for shocks so I don't have them in yet either.
I wish I could move forward as easy as I go backwards..
Old 11-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Junk Collector

I measured the difference in height side/side comparing the lift with the Skyjacker rear spring vs. the stock spring. There is exactly 2 1/2" difference. It's funny, but you can notice it visually.

I put together a spring pack using the first 2 leaves (main + second leaf) of a stock spring with the remainder of the Skyjacker stuff and gained ~ 1/2" in thickness at the locating pin. I'll try to install it tomorrow to see if these mods will give me the 2" or so that I need to level things out.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:28 AM
350 Buick

Hey Retro how goes it?
What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850
Old 12-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Junk Collector

I'm making slow progress on the Cherokee. Hopefully I'll have it running soon.

What have you been doing?
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM
258 I6

Howdy

Merry xmas Kim! We need to plan for a January get together in the woods. Hope you have a great holiday!

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 12-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Junk Collector

Hey John! A belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you sir! I'm up for a meeting just about anytime in January, as long as it's inside. We need to get with Tom to get him on-board.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:56 AM

Not sure about a Jan. meet tons of work to do on my trucks including the diesel. No road trip till the new fuel bowl and pump is installed and way too cold to be doing it outside right now. I do have the parts though.
J10 needs some more loving before I drive that far although it is close. Heat would be a plus in it. And a stiffer ride, that hobby horse bounce is driving me batty. If the new shocks ( God forbid they should ever show up) or the bucket seat doesn't stop the bounce it is going to get J20 springs. I got killer headlights on it now..

As much as I would love to get together it may be a tough time to make for me right now. Hopefully our work load at work eases up some. We have worked all through the holidays instead of being off like we were suppose to. I was suppose to have 3 weeks off work all paid but instead we worked almost all of it except Thanksgiving Day, Xmas eve and day and new years eve and day. 10 days off work basically since I saw you guys last. I"M POOPED.. Not even sure when my next off day will be. Although over time is not mandatory so I can always blow out for a day or 3. Not like they don't owe me time off right now.
Good news is the bills and taxes are paid and still have a small bit of cash in the bank Not much but it is a positive amount. So for once I rolled into the new year without being a couple of thousands behind. Which in turn means I can actually get some Jeep work done. I got an epic trip i would love to make this summer out west. My J20 Utility truck has some major improvements to be done before the 6000 mile journey. Got me a Gear Vendor over drive unit for it and I'm thinking of throwing the Edelbrock fuel injection and aluminum heads I have on it also. Or may do the trip in the Blue Honcho all depends on which one comes on line first.
I'll most likely be selling the 85 J10 before summer if you know anyone looking for a nice J10. I only got it to drive for the winter so hopefully the other J trucks will replace it by summer. Besides I want the money from it to pay for the road trip.

So I'll keep an eye here and go ahead and make plans and I'll see if I can hit it. I'll know what is up on my end by the end of the week or so I hope.
I may still be doing that swap for the wagoneer from WV so I have a reason to head that way already.
I have some more Montreal Steak seasoning and some Memphis Rub for you as well John. Anyone need Swiffer Purple spray Mop pads?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Work just announced last night we are on 7 days a week until further notice..Good news is work is booming. we started off this year with 50 million dollars of committed machine builds. So 2015 is 3/4 of the way booked. But we can handle much more if need be.
normally a good year is only 15 million to start off and 3 months booked.
Keep buying those Keurig coffees.
You soda drinkers are about to get the same treatment and that is why we are on this massive overtime push. First machine left on 4 semi trucks Dec 29th. 3 more being built as we speak and the big dog version will be started late spring to be shipped in Dec.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
258 I6

Get 'er done Tom! Its a little cold even for WHITE MAN FIRE, not that low temps ever stopped us before. We will be here when you get done building the mega machines that package the worlds food supply, glad you guys are busy. We still need to get Kim running anyhow

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 01-09-2015, 10:16 AM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro93
What have you been doing?

Been doing quite a lot, sadly not much of it fun. Lost my job the Saturday before Easter, Grandma passed on Easter. My Uncle passed November 1st. Both estates are all tangled up and it's a mess. Funerals came out of my pocket since there was no insurance so you can imagine all the fun we have been having, and right around the holidays too.

All that aside working on the jeep has been my way of switching off and escaping a little bit. I have heat, and it moves under it's own power. I need to get ahold of a new carb or a better one than I have, and find someone who knows more about them than me. Anything under 45mph is fine and I can even do highway speeds for a while, but any acceleration over about 70 and the truck will start to buck and lose power. It's baffling, I've swapped just about all the ignition system part by part (yay for parts piles) And i finally swapped out the carb with a junk one i had in the pile and many of the issues vanished and even the bucking on the highway is less severe but not totally gone. Got a good 2-barrel?

Mike
Old 01-11-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutrageGIS
We still need to get Kim running anyhow

I don't know about running ..but he has that "mosey" going on...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
350 Buick

I am sorry to hear of your losses... not a great Easter Season, but there are many other things to celebrate.

I have several good MC carbs and would LOVE to sell you one, but have you tried rebuilding your original?

As far as bucking on the highway, whens is the last time you changed your Fuel filter? The one by your carb actually acts as your "regulator" as well as it gives you the return to the tank... make sure that is in place and return clocked to "12" (high noon!) There may be more than one inline fliter so look at the lines going back to the tank.

You can buy a CHEAP Vacuum/ Fuel Pressure gauge and look at the PSI and consistency of flow from your pump. May have one going bad.

Here's to a better 2015 for you!

]Been doing quite a lot, sadly not much of it fun. Lost my job the Saturday before Easter, Grandma passed on Easter. My Uncle passed November 1st. Both estates are all tangled up and it's a mess. Funerals came out of my pocket since there was no insurance so you can imagine all the fun we have been having, and right around the holidays too.

All that aside working on the jeep has been my way of switching off and escaping a little bit. I have heat, and it moves under it's own power. I need to get ahold of a new carb or a better one than I have, and find someone who knows more about them than me. Anything under 45mph is fine and I can even do highway speeds for a while, but any acceleration over about 70 and the truck will start to buck and lose power. It's baffling, I've swapped just about all the ignition system part by part (yay for parts piles) And i finally swapped out the carb with a junk one i had in the pile and many of the issues vanished and even the bucking on the highway is less severe but not totally gone. Got a good 2-barrel?

Mike[/quote]
Old 01-28-2015, 04:32 PM
350 Buick

I'll respond in a PM, I don't want to Hijack this thread.