International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

Which welder for doing average jeep repairs?

I have been eyeing the eastwood Mig 135 welder, i see the same one but different color for a hundered less on fleabay ( probably a china knockoff - OR the same one??)

I will only use it for very occasional repairs.....and would like the ability if needed to weld stainless

Thoughts / suggestions??? i want to spend about $300.00

Trip

Thoughts?

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 04-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Shakes hands with danger

You might try to find a used Lincoln or Miller or Craigslist, etc. I have been using a Lincoln SP-125 Plus for about fifteen years. The advantage of a unit like that is that a major brand name is easier to get parts and service for, should you need it, and since it runs on household current, it is easy to set up and use almost anywhere. Mine is powerful enough to weld about 1/4" or 5/16" steel in a single pass, or easily weld 14ga exhaust tubing to 3/8" steel flanges, which is mostly what I use it for.

More powerful machines can obviously do more but this is plenty adequate for anything I do. As far as stainless steel goes, I can easily weld thinwall stuff like exhaust tubing, tips, hangers, etc. I am normally welding those parts to mild steel tubing so I still use steel wire and steel mix gas. If you are welding nothing but stainless steel, using stainless wire and different shielding gas (I forget what stainless normally calls for), you may find you need more power than a machine like mine can comfortably provide.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Ah...yes...parts

What about Craftsman? i know they are lower end as well - but i have never had a issue getting parts from sears online

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 04-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Shakes hands with danger

I think the biggest problem with Craftsman is that they seem to change suppliers more frequently now than they used to, and consumer-grade suppliers tend to outsource more and change their product line more often than industrial or commercial builders like Lincoln, Miller, etc. So the likelihood of getting good support diminishes more rapidly with consumer-grade stuff.

Something I forgot to add: generally speaking, I have a lot more confidence spending any given dollar figure on used USA-built equipment (especially if it is industrial or commercial grade) than spending the same amount on new, imported, outsourced homeowner-grade stuff. Thirty and forty year old tools and appliances still work, while five or ten year old examples of same are dropping away. Consumers are now more interested in current technology and novelty than in a purchase that will last a lifetime, and longevity may not matter if they expect to replace things periodically so that they can always have newer and better stuff. It is as if we are merely renting our possessions.

This is obviously one opinion and hardly scientific, and not really what you asked, so I'll shut up for a while...

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Grease Monkey

Bought my Lincoln WeldPack 155 at Home depot about 8 years ago.
It has been a great little machine.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:47 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

LOL moment

I have a Lincoln SP 125 & am not a welder by any stretch of the imagination. I had mine out today welding a mount for my transmission I have argon & I recommend whatever you get make sure it is gas capable. It will make a better welder out of you. of course you will spend more than 300 for a complete gas rig. There's no doubt there is better more expensive units. the littler cracker box I have does everything I want. I would buy it again. Miller or Lincoln is all I would do. I bought mine off Craigslist used 4 years ago to replace a Chinese wonder & haven't looked back.

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by serehill
I have argon & I recommend whatever you get make sure it is gas capable. It will make a better welder out of you.
Absolutely. I should have mentioned that! Another "optional" feature that I would not be without is infinitely adjustable power. It's really useful to be able to tweak the power just a bit rather than choosing between four or five predetermined steps.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Grease Monkey

I would go with a Lincoln, miller, or Hobart. Get a dual voltage unit if you can swing the extra cost it will avoid having to buy a bigger machine later if you find you need it, but will still run on 110v to get you started. I dont know what the deal is with any of those Eastwood machines, from what I remember they look just like the hobarts. Or maybe it was the older hobarts, but they say they are designed and made only for Eastwood. You are saying there is a cheaper version of it on ebay? I'd bet it's the same thing. The prices are really cheap on the welders and plasma cutters. I don't know anyone that has owned one so I can't really give any feedback. I'm a certified welder and I'm just not comfortable with buying cheap welders.
1978 wagoneer, jasper 360 performer intake holley 600,700r4, twinstick dana 300, dana 44s with 4.10s and Yukon zip locker, York oba, 4" rusty's spring lift, 33x10.50 km2, ramsey ford front bumper with worm drive ramsey winch, 4" pipe air tank rear bumper with spare tire swing out.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:26 PM
304 AMC

Quote:
I have argon & I recommend whatever you get make sure it is gas capable.

True in one sense,,not so much in another.

1), true, buy a gas compatible welder.
2), for steel(which most of you do) use CO2 for gas....cheap, works great, you can buy a bottles' contents for Much,,,Much less than argon. Argon+ steel + money wasted.

J20..

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/
Old 04-05-2014, 07:01 PM

Ok, I think higher end more industrial are out of my price range and realistic frequency of use. If i put a new spool of wire in the one i will buy - i probably wont use it up in 5 years its just for nitnoid small repairs around the house and if i need any Serious welding done( like frame repair) i will take it to a pro

i was even thinking about a gassless ( flux core) one - but i find the ability to weld stainless someday worth the extra hundred beans.....

I wrote to eastwood asking about a PDF manual and parts availibility

Steve

Old 04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Shakes hands with danger

For occasional stuff, it's tough to beat that 110V convenience. Dual voltage would be nice, but you may never need it.

Checking CL around here, well-used SP125+ and SP135+ units are asking $300-$350. I think that's overpriced, fishing for a sucker. You might have better results in your area, or you might try a welding forum (or something like garagejournal or the HAMB), and see if anyone in your area is upgrading and has an entry-level machine to sell.

Heck, I'd sell you mine, but I can't justify replacing it! Laid down a total of about 22' of weld (not continuous, obviously) yesterday without skipping a beat...

Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Gone,Never Forgotten.

Really

You want to go to FSJ network & talk to Tad Or Redone they are the most knowledgeable guys with what we do that I know one is a welder by profession & the other teaches the craft. I am a dauber at best. but know what makes it work best. Honestly I though that I would buy mine & get done with what I wanted & sell it. I also though if I run through one reel I would be astonished 30 reels ago. Also it's kind of like having a truck when folks find out you have one you get new friends. There is no doubt that 220 volt is a better deal I live with the 110 one. I lie you if I had some heavy stuff I take it to the shop. I tend to find things to do with mine. the intriguing part is I've done a lot of stuff I've never would have done just because I could. One of the coolest, welding a nut onto a broke bolt & removing it.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/tld/4364412412.html

80 Cherokee
360 ci 727 with
Comp cams 270 h
NP208
Edlebrock performer intake
Holley 4180
Msd total multi spark.
4" rusty's springs
Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Last edited by serehill : 04-06-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:01 PM
Grease Monkey

I bought a Hobart 140 a few years back. Still looks like a great deal through Northern Tool (free shipping, too). I didn't want to deal with possible problems with a used unit, some folks will say anything to sell crap. I don't get to use it as much as I would like, my garage is in a constant state of ebb and flow, mostly ebb, and stuff that goes poof with spark keeps stacking up.

It's a great unit and I added gas to it which makes me look like a much better welder than I really am. You gotta figure in the cost of consumables and upgrades (wire, cart, clamps, welding pliers, et al.). Not to mention a quality welding helmet and protective gear. Don't go cheap on the stuff that keeps you safe. Also, get a fire extinguisher or two. Maybe three if you're like me......

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Master Mechanic

I've used Lincoln Electric and Miller-love both.

This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. I agree used, USA made is better than new Chinese.

My #1 advice is to buy a welder much bigger than what you think you need now.
2006 Honda Shadow Aero
1986 Honda XR600R
1984 Chevy 3500 Box Truck
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM

75% argon, 25% CO2 fill give you a little better looking bead with less spatter. All we use in the body shop. A 135 to 150 will do most everything on a Jeep.

Mine is a 225 Power Mate (Hobart) that will weld up an aircraft carrier if need be. Too bad can't weld anymore due to pacemaker/defib implant.

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
258 I6

Just like you, I was in a similar position maybe 2 years ago; shopping for a machine. Ill skip the research story for same of brevity and get to what I learned. Hopefully some of it will be useful.

-Ended up with a miller 211; spent twice what I originally intended. Zero regrets though. I'd absolutely do it again. I justified it by saying Itd probably be the only machine I ever buy. The longer I live the cheaper it gets!
-have yet to need the 220v. The 110v power has been useful for a ton of different projects.
-you will absolutely be "looking" for stuff to weld. The machine is going to get a lot more use than you anticipate.
-go local and mom/pop with your purchase. May cost a little more up fromt but A family owned business will take time to help you find what will work for you based on Intended usage. They're also more likely to throw in a a free helmet, gloves or wire when you do decide to purchase. Customer service and knowledgable help will be way beyond what amazon or a lowes/HD will be able to offer.
-eliminate harbor freight as an option. This is one of those things where you'll get what you pay for. They do have a decent cart for cheap though...
-shielding gas is important. Flux core makes a mess, but it's useful when you need it.
-definitely get an auto darkening helmet. Shortens the lead it curve a lot.

Good luck!

360, 727, 219, 35s
Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:39 PM
350 Buick

Go to your local welding supply house and see what they have. If they are an Authorized Service Center for any of the major brands they may be able to make you a deal on a "reconditioned" unit. That is, a repaired warranty return. They may also have a good trade in unit they'll make you a deal on. I'd rather have a used name brand transformer than a new low buck import.

A few years back I ordered a Hobart 187 from Northern Tool while I was deployed. When I got home I went out to Norco to buy a gas bottle, wire, gloves, hood, etc... The rep asked where I bought the welder itself, and I told him where and what I paid. His reply was "Next time call us, if you're going to buy a package we can usually beat that price". Try http://www.norco-inc.com/
Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

I worked for years with a cheap no-name welder. You can certainly make due with one and there's nothing wrong with a cheapo if that's all you can afford. But if you ever think you might want/need a nice unit in the future, just get it right away. With a good name brand welder you'll always be able to get service if it needs it and it'll last just about forever.

Also, buy from a welding store, NOT home depot or the other box stores. Even the name brand ones you buy from there are cheapened up, plastic rollers and such.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Shakes hands with danger

^Last three posts are chock full of wisdom. Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Grease Monkey

Being a Jeep Junkie, you do realize that no matter what you get for however good a deal,

there will be a screaming deal on something better down the block the very next week.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.