• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • namsag
    232 I6
    • Feb 02, 2014

Wheel bearings question

Replacing wheel bearings all around soon on '90 GW because who knows if they've ever been checked and I would like to avoid some of the misadventures I have read about on this forum. Brakes have been redone within the past year. What else should I take the opportunity to look at/replace while we're in the neighborhood?
    1990 GW: "The Snackoneer" a.k.a. "The Snackwagon" "It's old! It's ugly! I hate it! I don't want anybody to see me in it!" - my 13-yr-old daughter. Me:"Just get in."

2011 G-550 "Glenda": 30mm lift and 33's

2009 F-250: The Big Truck aka The Rolling Motel Room

1997 Land Cruiser Collector's Edition: Da Cruzah

2015 4Runner Trail: DD

Pull the spindles off and there is a needle bearing in the back side of the spindle. Replace if nec., or wipe with a fingerfull of grease if good.

Don't forget the races on the wheel bearings if you are replacing them.

Check the ball joints for any play and the same with the joints in the steering linkage.
    Art
    ASE Master Collision Tech
    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Good plan, front wheel bearings should be greased every 20-25,000 miles to avoid trouble. Sooner if you do a lot of water crossings. Spend the time to wash ALL the old grease out of them. Then blow them dry with compressed air, ya don't want any solvent left in there. Inspect for scoring, bluing, scratches, grooves etc. If in doubt replace the bearing. I personally like repacking the bearings with my fingers over the less messy bearing packing tools. But to each his own. While in there it'd be a good idea to check the u-joints on the axle shafts.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
        • May 29, 2003

What I was told ...

Dry the bearings with compressed air, but don't spin them with air. Supposedly it will damage the bearings.

I now have a bearing packer that works from my grease gun, and it's really slick. If the bearing is new (or I suppose you get the bearing good and dry) you can see the grease ooze out around the rollers. Hand packing seems like guesswork compared to the bearing packer.
        Tim Reese
        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• mokurt
          258 I6
          • Feb 23, 2014

Replace all the seals.
          Remove all the grease from the hubs and spindles.Also check for any scoring on the spindles.Check the torque on the spindle hardware.

Inspect and pack the new bearings.Grease the spindles and hubs.
          1967 J2000
          1985 CJ7

Comment

• mdill
            Gone. Not Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2000

No real sense in replacing good wheel bearings, but seals and repacking is a maintenance item, for the spindle seal I end up buying the bearing kit (almost never use the bearing but it is the cheapest way to get the seals) BK1 (?) that and inner axle seal is the usual parts list, if you just got the truck check the ball joints as everything you need to do grease the bearings is needed when you do ball joints (why go in twice if once will do)
            -----------------------------------------
            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
            And the other stuff that gets driven
            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Revhendo
              232 I6
              • Sep 11, 2011

Originally posted by tgreese

Dry the bearings with compressed air, but don't spin them with air. Supposedly it will damage the bearings.
              DO NOT spin the bearing with compressed air. I don't know if it will damage a bearing, but if you have a bad one, it can very likely come apart on you. That ain't something you need to see more than once.
              Rev.

OK, who put the magnet under my moral compass?

1988 Grand Wagoneer. Going for the ultimate fishing rig.
              I named her Tinkerbell after my cat. She always demands my attention and whenever I show her love, I come away bloody.

Comment

Working...
              X