International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Off-Road FSJ Tech

Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
FSJ Maniac

opinion on rear coils, 3 link, graderballs, etc.

I've done a little research on pirate, but I want another opinion... what is your opinion of the graderball suspension??

I've been looking and drooling at the weld-on coil buckets made by BTF... and I think I'm going to go this route in the rear, since leaves are turning into a PITA trying to level them to the front with half YJ lift crap, half wag oem crap. From what I've seen, the Wild Horses coils seem to be prefered... any other good options out there? bad ones to stay away from? I guess I'm wondering about product quality of the various manufacturers.

I want to keep this fairly simple, so I'm thinking of a simple "A-frame" 3 link... simple enough for me to do alone in my garage, without a ton of bending and such. The front will remain leafs for now, I dont want to open that can of worms yet.

so that leads me to my next question... rod end? johnny joints? Rubicon Express flexball-type ends?

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Last edited by Brad W. : 08-03-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Gear Head

I like the RE johnnys, b/c the johnys run plastic races they wear and the R/E's you can tighten up about 3 times b4 a rebuild. I am currently using the Mountain Off Roads in mine, and well pretty much despise them as they came apart in the badlands on me. They are held with super tough snaprings and well with a snap ring they get enough force and I guess they buckle...and don't hold.
Just my .02. Don't know about the grader ball...however you can buy the R/E Tri Link ball seperate
79 Jeep CJ-5, 4.O H.O. T-150, D-20, Shackle reversal.
95 Jeep Cherokee XJ "trail rated" Ask ME
Old 08-03-2006, 10:51 AM

i read a good thread on pirate about graderball suspensions ie 1-link suspensions. i think for the money they work well. you can make a huge skid plate for your bottom and get the flex you need out of coils. they're simple and easy but DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THE GRADERBALL!!!! I saw too many posts about how idiots tried to do it with trailer hitch balls Anyway, I always thought I'd like to give it a try if i ever got another vehicle just to try it out. i say go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun2mo
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny019
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:45 AM
FSJ Maniac

I think I might have a line on a full rolling GM truck with the EFI drivetrain, so If this pans out, I'll have my engine/trans/case in in the next 2 weeks. Then do the D60 and be ready to button up the rear, hence my sudden interest...

I will look into ordering the BTF coil hardware on my next paycheck...

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM

personally i'd make my own coil stuff. if it's what i'm thinking about i don't see why you could make your own design and save a few bucks. don't get me wrong i went with BTF parts but it was basically a 4-link kit. i built my own buckets and mounts.

Quote:
I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
Quote:
I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I will be going 1-link / wishbone / a-frame when time permits.

good enough for Unimogs (well, at least until the new ones)... good enough for me

peace
Dave
One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:46 PM
Master Mechanic

Well, I just read about 10 pages from Pirate, AustinK5, and Blue Torch Fab about this whole ganderball idea. It seems pretty decent. But people keep talking about this 1-link business. Is this it?

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft...251.4970040162
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft...251.4971689468
http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft...251.4974481713

Because both this jeep and that scout have the little link above the rear axle conecting the frame to the axle eliminating side to side movement. Would that still be called a 1-link setup? Are these pics (even though they have the ball and the little link on the axle) considered 1-link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep44
After this weekend chicks are gonna need suspenders to keep their panties up when I roll in
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM

yase.

edit: that's a panhard bar. it prevents lateral movement and isn't considered a link. you'll see it on non triangulated 4-links and 3-links as well.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by orangecherokee : 08-03-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:20 PM
FSJ Maniac

I always thought that the panhard WAS considered a link...

Why go with the "ganderball" instead of one HUGE heim connection?

(go easy on me I am at work and haven't read anything about the ganderball setup yet)

EDIT: I love what that setup does for running brake lines...

Last edited by BRUTUS : 08-03-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:31 PM
FSJ Maniac

If I use the ball, it'll look like the one in your pics. My other idea was borrowed from a smaller jeep I saw once, it had the "A-frame" the other way with one point on the axle and two on the frame. Still need a panhard, but that's cake.

upon searching I find two types of what I just mentioned. one with all hiems and a panhard, the other with spring bushings on the frame end so the "a-frame" cannot move side to side, and it also has two lower links. Not sure what I think of that second idea.

On a side note, those with coils, have you noticed wierd unloading phenomenon (manamana... doot-do-de-do-do) on side hills and wierd situations like that? I dont want to end up on my lid, perhaps I need straps or a currie swaybar thing?

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
FSJ Maniac

Can you post links to these articles Slick?... I keep gettin distracted when I get to the sites and I never find what I want to read!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Here is the quick result of searching grader ball on pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/searc...earchid=215396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler68
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
Robert A. Heinlein
The birth of CROM is recorded here
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778
Old 08-07-2006, 01:26 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun
Here is the quick result of searching grader ball on pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/searc...earchid=215396

I guess I will have to join Pirate to 1) search threads 2) read the one you linked to Charlie.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Master Mechanic

Shoot, I logged in and still can't view it!

Here are some:

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235977&page=3&highlight=graderbal l

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273512&page=2&pp=25&highlight=Sco ut+springs+running

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ght=graderball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjeep44
After this weekend chicks are gonna need suspenders to keep their panties up when I roll in
Old 08-07-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTUS
I guess I will have to join Pirate to 1) search threads 2) read the one you linked to Charlie.

Thanks
\
Unfortunatly because of the number of people who search there they have had limit the use of search to only those who have paid, but I am puzzeled if linked it should have let you see the linked article.

Quote:
congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.

Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-07-2006, 04:11 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
\
Unfortunatly because of the number of people who search there they have had limit the use of search to only those who have paid, but I am puzzeled if linked it should have let you see the linked article.
nope
Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
\
they have had limit the use of search to only those who have paid

A rather interesting thing for a place whose favorite sport is to flame people who don't search before asking a question
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel
A rather interesting thing for a place whose favorite sport is to flame people who don't search before asking a question
Last year during the whole Wenzel episode their membership tripled overnight with people wanting to comment o0n the episode. It was so bad their servers were going down almost everyday, they did I don't know how many upgrades trying to get a handle on the situation they finally decided the only way to calm the situation down was to limit the use of search to only those members who were subscribed. If you ever need it let me know I subscribed several years ago simple because I felt that the tech that was available there was worth the price.

Quote:

Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-21-2006, 11:32 AM
FSJ Maniac

Just a quick btt to change my mind, yet again, lol.

I'm swapping a m715 frame into the wag, and moving the wheelwells back to take up the 14" difference in wheelbase over my wag now with the springs on backwards for length. I'm going to stretch the rear "bed" area to look right, and slice off the bottom of the quarters. The oem fenderwell curve inside the rear door will get boxed and made into a toolbox when I stretch the fenders. I'll use front door corners to square the rear door skins and make it look right. Hidden toolboxes will be a nice touch I think.

This way I can use a 4-door cherokee rear half and eliminate my rust problem, and have an easier panel to shave and use LED trailer lights in. It will still be crew-cab cut, but it will have a bed around 5ft. instead of the dinky 3ft sport trac looking bed with just the factory wheelbase and the roof cut.

Going to use the D60 from my old k-30, and use the D70FF I got for free, with a detroit in the back, and a disc conversion. Getting a k-case for my th400 and will build it with red altos, kevlar band, and big sprags. The np-205 will get the cable twinstick from northwest fab. I'm going to re-drill the adapter and clock it as flat as possible, and run a belly skid. Still looking for an EFI 350 sbc, I've already gutted the wag's harness from the firewall up. I'm going to use the 715 style light harness and a pushbutton switch from a humvee.

This is comming together finally, after some head scratching. I can't wait!

btw- the m715 frame already has the springs under the frame in the rear, and I will re-do the front hangers for the '79 era front springs (longer). Plus I get badass tow shackle mounts.

m715 ex-firetruck
**project shelved**

Old 08-23-2006, 02:55 PM
FSJ Maniac

the grader ball is a great idea. i will have to do some more reading on this setup. i dont know how i didnt think if this. has anyone here done this to a FSJ?
www.kymc.org
shadowjeep
2003 Chevy Silverado
"WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE IT OUT"