• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vickmorrow64
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2014

Squeaking alternator

I have a pair of Napa belts on my grand Wagoneer it has ac and 360 v8 - noticed my belts are at maximum adjustment and still not tight . So I went to autozone and bought some autozone duralast 15510 belts - they kept giving me two different belts with same part number - finally got two to match and the same thing happened - they are at maximum adjustment and still not tight - I work close with local machine shop - I am frustrated - going to lengthen adjustment bar so tightening will never be an issue again - anyone else have alt belts squeaking? Will try to get slightly shorter belt tomorrow. I also thinks this affects vehicle when I turn engine off off after driving for awhile and say get gas - when I go to restart there is like a delay then it starts up - sometimes I have to jump it with charge pack - hope tightening Alt belts fixes thus issue - anyone else experience the delay at startup ?
    Last edited by vickmorrow64; 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM.
  • vickmorrow64
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2014

Bought smaller belts - tightened up fine - battery dead - will charge and see if squeak went away

Comment

• Heep-J4000
      350 Buick
      • Feb 09, 2014

The pulley of the alternator could be worn and make the belts worn-out fast.

The delay with starting could be a low battery because of alternator not charging enough or a battery that is done.
      Charge it overnight and measure the battery with starting and see how much the voltage goes down.
      Also measure with running engine how much it charges.
      Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
      73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
      80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
      70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
      85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
      83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

Working...
      X