• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83 chif
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 01, 2005

4.3L oldmobile diesel motor in a cherokee chief

Does anybody think that putting a 4.3L Oldsmobile Diesel in my Cherokee is a terrible idea? The wieght and power doesn't make it much different from my 258, but I'm sure there is something big that I overlooked that you folks out there will catch.
    - Doug

MY HEEP:
    daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K
  • incommando

Diesel fuel is currently as expensive as premium unleaded

The entire fuel system will need to be changed.

replacement parts for the motor are mucho expensive

The fuel economy difference would take years to make up for the cost of the swap

Just some random thoughts...

Comment

• 83 chif
      327 Rambler
      • Sep 01, 2005

I want the diesel motor so I could try the Vegitable oil/grease/biodiesel stuff.
      - Doug

MY HEEP:
      daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K

Comment

• joe
        • Apr 28, 2000

Interesting question cause I'm a dsl fan but not familiar at all with the 4.3L.
        In regards to this link: http://www.bestautojobs.com/shop/cra..._737ioy_8.html Anyone have any comments on these motors? $1100 for a rebuilt dsl short block seems awfully cheap?
        joe
        "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

Originally posted by -joe:
          Interesting question cause I'm a dsl fan but not familiar at all with the 4.3L.
          In regards to this link: http://www.bestautojobs.com/shop/cra..._737ioy_8.html Anyone have any comments on these motors? $1100 for a rebuilt dsl short block seems awfully cheap?
          -Joe.............thats a GAS engine LOL
          Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
          Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Drats! I got there from following a google olds/4.3/diesel link and didn't catch it sent me to a gaso link.
            Doh! Time to brew up the 2nd pot of starter fluid...obviously the first pot of coffee didn't do it's stuff.
            joe

Comment

• 83 chif
              327 Rambler
              • Sep 01, 2005

hey joe, do you run a diesel in any of your jeeps?
              - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• joe
                • Apr 28, 2000

Not yet. Still working out a tcase/trans issue before plopping a 2.4L MB diesel in my CJ8 but do run a 6.9 in my Ford truck and a 2.4 in my 240D Benz. Both work great.
                joe

Comment

• incommando

I am not familiar with the 4.3L Olds diesel either. I just assumed that, as the Olds Diesel was based on their 350 (5.7L) gas motor and Olds also had a 260 CID (4.3L) V8 that might have been made into a diesel,too???

The bottom end of that Olds diesel was never meant for that kind of compression and there must have been a reason almost all of them were eventually converted to gas.

Comment

Didn't know they made one but here it is, '82-'85 6 cyl 263 Diesel 85hp-165 torque! Will that even move an FSJ. 1980 V8-260 Diesel 90hp-170 torque. Pass! Get something with balls if your going to go through all the work to do the swap.
                    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
                    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
                    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Retro93
                      Junk Collector
                      • Nov 02, 2001

Great little engine. I had one in an '83 Buick Century. Great mileage...zero issues with it. It moved that little Buick along just fine. Now if I could just find one for my home generator set up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      79 Cherokee Chief WT "RDBLOK" warmed over 360, TH400/QT, 4.10 Truetrac F/Detroit Locker R, 4" Skyjacker Softride System, Rancho 9000 shocks with in cab adjust, Hydroboost brakes, 33" BFG Mud Terrains

Comment

• Stuka
                        • Jan 21, 2001

Gasoline based diesel engines suck. Pass it on.

Comment

• woodstock
                          327 Rambler
                          • Sep 25, 2002

In my opinion, that thing is a dog. My dad had three of those, two Delta 88 4 door sedans (one blew up, so they replaced the whole car) and a Delta 88 wagon. He threw a bunch of miles on them, but they had a 0-60 time of approximately 2 hours. I don't recall it being anything special in horsepower or torque. They were also very dirty diesels, not like the modern diesels we see today.
                          1975 Cherokee Chief WT

Comment

• FSJeeper
                            King of Unfinished Projects
                            • May 20, 2000

I would consider the GM 6.2/6.5 the minimum entry level diesels for out FSJ's. Easy swap, cheap to do, 21+ MPG and the Blazer with the 6.2 was rated at 29 mpg.

Optimum diesel swap would of course be either the Cummins 4bt or 6bt swap.

I have owned a 2001 6BT Dodge truck and now have a 2004.5 600 series cummins Dodge 3500 truck. Got 21 MPG in a 2200 mile trip to Ouray and got 14 mpg in the 2004.5 in a trip to Ouray. In my opinion, the pre 600 series engines are superior for fuel mileage and can easily be upgraded for power.

I think 30 MPG would be so easy to get with a 4BT in a FSJ.
                            In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• incommando

(hijack) I put 170,000 miles on a '93 Didge dually with a Cummins and an automatic. Many of them came while towing a 7,200 pound car/trailer combo. I love that engine, and with a few simple mods it ran quite well. It also delivered about 18 mpg in daily driving including towing. A pure highway trip would get me about 21 MPG. (end hijack)

Comment

Working...
                              X