• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 76FSChief
    258 I6
    • Feb 19, 2010

To Getrag or not to Getrag that is the question

Hello again everyone

Trying to decide which way to go with my Cummins Swap and wondering if anyone has used a Getrag transmission? I have two complete trucks - one automatic but it is starting to slip and a manual Getrag - but not sure which path to go. I am not a hard core 4wheeler by any means, but I enjoy trips to the mountains to fish and camp.

Any insights would be helpful - thanks in advance.
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

If you have access to the whole getrag setup I would go that route. They are great transmissions if taken care of and if you don't plan to up the power a ton, it will last a long time.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• 76FSChief
      258 I6
      • Feb 19, 2010

Thanks addicted

I love the idea of the manual transmission, and as I have two complete trucks I have access to all the random pieces I might need. My major concern was for the durability of the Getrag.

I drive the 3/4 ton daily, but havent ran the manual transmission as the rear diff is blown and I bought the truck for the engine. I will not be adding a bunch of power - maybe upgrade to some bigger injectors for an additional 50hp - but that will proably be it.

Thanks again for the input and looking forward to more from others

Comment

• gotmike
        327 Rambler
        • Aug 31, 2008

if you have a getrag truck then you have an early 90's model so you might have an intercooled with a bosche VE pump which can be turned up pretty easily without costing any money... so you don't actually have to have new injectors and if you swap in some older non intercooled injectors then you get bigger injectors anyways... the getrag is a good transmission and if it ever does fail then it's pretty easy to upgrade to an NV-4500 the only difference is that the shifter on a getrag is at the front of the tranny and the NV is in the middle... the only real problem either of them had was 5'th gear... www.cumminsforum.com has ton's of info

you'll really like that cummins...
        J.E.E.P
        Just Everyone Elses Parts!
        '77 Cherokee Chief
        w/ '92 12v cummins,
        NV4500
        NP 205
        e]
        Dana 60 Front axle
        Dana 70-HD Rear axle
        Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=90702
        trailer build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1314880&posted=1#post1314880

Comment

• 76FSChief
          258 I6
          • Feb 19, 2010

Thanks gotmike

I have checked out your build as well. I love the 12v Cummins. I searched for a year and a half to find one, and then in two weeks I found a second one. I have been driving the auto truck for the last year - during which I found my Cherokee Chief to put it all in.

I will be using the stock frame - Overland diesel has done the swap using the stock frame and assure me that there will only be minimal wear on the stock components once you reinforce the frame. The reinforcements will be in the way of skid plates etc etc.

I am sure that I will be picking the brains of all you folks more than once during this whole process.

thanks again

Comment

• AM Woody
            258 I6
            • Jan 11, 2003

I'd be nice if you could road test the Getrag now. If it's all good it'll probably last forever in your application. Most of the problems came from heavy towing.

You should take the pto cover off and see if you can move the gears on the mainshaft back and forth any. These are set up with a little preload, and if they get loose over time they can start chewing up bearings. You may want to shim it to zero if there's any play. I don't think you want to preload used bearings, IIRC.

The other trick is overfill by one quart. Some of the mainshaft bearings can starve for oil otherwise.

They are pretty easy to work on. I've been into a couple three of them with problems and just replacing one bearing fixed them in each case.
            - Andy M.

89 Grand Wagoneer. Status: Operational
            92 XJ Laredo. Original family owners
            00 XJ Limited. T-boned. Need new body
            00 XJ Limited RWD
            06 TJ Rubicon. Original owners

Comment

• 76FSChief
              258 I6
              • Feb 19, 2010

Thanks AM

Took it for a drive today and other than the rear diff being shot the transmission seemed good. Will tear the engine/trans and transfer case out next week - wish me luck.

Comment

• gotmike
                327 Rambler
                • Aug 31, 2008

just take your time and do it right the first time... i still wish i could have done some things differently... but i won't tear it all down and start over... sooo... just watch your heater box, think carefully about your exhaust... and upgrade everything you can... you might also think about hydroboost while it's torn apart that vac booster makes things a bit tight if you're keeping it in the factory spot... and the clutch assembly may be a bit of a finacky thing... there isn't much space in there.... but if you use the pedals from the dodge it's one main pin that goes through the brake pedal and the clutch pedal... so if you can put in some plates and place the pedals right you can drill for that pin and make the whole install a bit easier... you'll be amazed how many things are very similar... the light switch from the dodge will fit behind the dash on the jeep and the dodge knob/shaft can be replaced with the jeep knob/shaft for the factory look and still tie into the dodge harness... if you want to just use the dodge harness... it fits rather well really... the headlights on the jeep have the same plug as the dodge headlights... as do the clearance/turn signals... if you need any more inspiration post up...

oh and... good luck...
                J.E.E.P
                Just Everyone Elses Parts!
                '77 Cherokee Chief
                w/ '92 12v cummins,
                NV4500
                NP 205
                e]
                Dana 60 Front axle
                Dana 70-HD Rear axle
                Build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=90702
                trailer build thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?p=1314880&posted=1#post1314880

Comment

• 3/4ton78
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 15, 2010

I have one in a 91 1 ton and hate it I pull alot with it and have lost 6 trannys and every time it is the input bearing they have an oil problem on the front so I had a bigger bearing machined in and haven't had trouble and the truck has around 385k on it and motor runs like a champ of you don't pull a lot you probably be ok.
                  78 Cherokee
                  3/4 ton 4.56 gears
                  AMC 360
                  TH400 q track
                  33-12.50-15 MT claws

Comment

Working...
                  X