X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

That thing has gone through quite the transformation and looks mean! I'm diggin it
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

Thanks! I need to throw in some of the earlier pics of stripping it down, and doing the frame up to where it was in the first pic..that was a ton of work right there.
      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Pulled a gas tank from my 78 J10 today to check it out...virgin! had a couple gallons of ollllld gas in it but somehow it didn't shellac the inside of the tank. No dents or holes or patches or anything, dropped it, dumped it, removed the sender (all that needs is a sock) took it down to the old carwash and blew all the clay off it and the inside too..back home, wetvacced the little bit of water and broken bits of sock/plastic that were it, rattlebombed it black and calling it good. So dry here and windy it'll be bone dry in an hour.
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
          • Feb 10, 2003

Might ought to se if you can find a can of tank cream to coat the inside to keep it from rusting
          charlie
          KB0HXA
          "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
          congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
          How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
          Robert A. Heinlein
          The birth of CROM is recorded here
          http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by bigun
            Might ought to se if you can find a can of tank cream to coat the inside to keep it from rusting
            I'll take a look tomorrow when I go sock shopping. Hope that's not a special order deal. It's sat since 1996 with this gas in it, and no gas cap..the hose was clogged with dead flies :P I'm amazed it didnt gunk up or rust. If I cant find anything like that I'll just slosh some dry gas around in it
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• tjh9100
              230 Tornado
              • Mar 30, 2011

looks great cant wait till I can start body work on my 84 j10 once I finish the motor I will slowly start with the body work and lift Keep it coming and keep us updated

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Waiting a gas pickup sock from BJs to get here to finish hanging the metal 78 tank. Will have to do some work under the bed to bolt it up..the 1965 bed used a different way of securing the staps then 1978.

Started eyeballing the ECGV draglink kit I got..tapers for the 1 ton GM TRE (which are 1.5" per/foot...whatever angle that ends up being) edit: 7.15 degree flop into the arm I HAVE on the truck, and don't fit all the way down on the extra arm I have in the garage..either way a spacer WILL need to be used. I have a 1" one..may even have to buy a 'raised' arm AND use a spacer (for 3"). fun..more eyeballing needed and measurements taken before knowing much more.

Oh and got a nifty black steering wheel for it from Ristow. A++ and fast shipping
                Last edited by Gambler68; 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM.
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

fast shipping

LOL! 8 month express!!
                  Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 44BZ
                    304 AMC
                    • Dec 10, 2009

What kinda steering wheel did you get? Gonna share any pics??
                    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by 44BZ
                      What kinda steering wheel did you get? Gonna share any pics??
                      A black one, same vintage. I'll post when I get it installed.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• glady8r
                        Banned
                        • Dec 31, 2007

that thing has come a long way and looks mean indeed
                        Last edited by glady8r; 04-07-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Thanks..finishing up this front steering is the last big hurdle and funds are low, hope it doesn't drag out too long!
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• janie
                            • Aug 11, 2001

Ryan, you can come over and work on my .50 cent Honcho any ol time. That's nice work.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

OK now we're in the home stretch, and one last mega hurdle..the High Steer...

with a stock pitman arm, .250 wall tube UNDER on the arm, and maybe 1/4" clearance over the spring, I am looking at having to raise the high steer arm on the knuckle 1 1/4" at least. Not 1", not 2". And that would require limiting uptravel on that side to..1" or so (because of the 327 crossover pipe is in line with the draglink). Notttt so great for a rockcrawler, but since I'm building this as a sage brush stomper/trail rider I could likely live with that. My spring packs are 2.5" thick and sitting on 1" lift over stock Tad perches (made at CJ spring width). I would have to weld on lift blocks to the already high perches to go under spring with the steering, even a Y-link.

Other options would be seeing how thick HellCreek 4" lift springs are (an expensive option not in the cards) and using lower spring perches (or just grinding the snot out of the radius on these..they're 7" long and have plenty to play with)..or a 1" spacer and cutting a notch out of the .250 tube and welding in flat plate for the span of the sweep going over the spring.

anyone still following this 'logic'? pics to come.

another option would be removing the thick AALs from the front, living with 'rake' (ew) and run it that way just to get it 'set up' with the 1" spacers and studs I already have on another knuckle that I can scab.
                              Last edited by Gambler68; 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                                Rabble Rouser
                                • Feb 29, 2004

still playing with spring packs in the front..hopefully can get some hours in on this week...weather is beautiful and still bug free..
                                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                                X