• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GRUNT
    232 I6
    • Jan 10, 2003

the 401

I know that the 401 is a sought after engine for jeeps. My daily driver is a 75 J-20. If I were to install a 401 would it still be a daily driver? How does the gas miles differ from a 360? I get about 14 mpg with my 360 what would the 401 be? Anyone out there have a 401 for a daily driver? Any info would be appreciated.
    75 Jeep J-20 \"the Grunt\" 360,holley 600, edlebrock intake 4\" Trailmaster suspension lift/t18/dana20/dana60/dana44 waggy leather int. 88 Grand wagoneer stock cherry (my wife\'s), 72 wag \"THE RAT\"<br />68 dodge dart GTS 440 fully modifed too much to list\"The Ground Shaker\"

the differances are minimal if at all noticeable as far as MPG. Not so sure the performance is all that noticeable over the 360 either if both are stock.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Elliott
      Cowboy Up
      • Jun 22, 2002

Mileage is about the same. I've had a worn out 401 that would stomp a reman 360.
      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• stepsidedan
        327 Rambler

• Feb 25, 2002

401's the best, believe me... i got one in my CJ7 with all edelbrock; man ... that thing is a bomb.... i can compete with the big ones out here; like the Jaguars or even the bigger Mercedes's... nice, and unexpected... if you've got one available, just do it...
        Dan
        http://www.jeepjeep.eu

Comment

LOL the HP and Torque specs do not show that big of a spread. I have had several 401's and they are strong, but what I like the best about them is that they sell better tnan any other AMC motor. I would not advise someone that they are going to see a differance of night and day between a 401 and a 360. Hardly think that is the case at all.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Dec 28, 2002

depepnding on what your 360 has in it you may see a HUGE performance increase.

I can build a 360 mean but i really prefer the 401 and i never see over 10ml per gallon...but i can pull wheelies with my 401 cj
            AMC/Jeep Forum
            Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
            ///
            "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

I had a CJ with a 304 that would pull wheelies, put a 360 in it and that was also rather HYPERACTIVE. I think the question would be, a stock 360 VS stock 401. Lets see now 41 Cubes more, same heads, cam, and carburation = Neck breaking, earth shattering torque? LMAO UH HUH

Comment

• GRUNT
                232 I6
                • Jan 10, 2003

My 360 is a crate motor. not even 10 mpg? that is depressing. I'm sure the power is nice though. Wouldn't be a practical daily driver if this is the case.
                75 Jeep J-20 \"the Grunt\" 360,holley 600, edlebrock intake 4\" Trailmaster suspension lift/t18/dana20/dana60/dana44 waggy leather int. 88 Grand wagoneer stock cherry (my wife\'s), 72 wag \"THE RAT\"<br />68 dodge dart GTS 440 fully modifed too much to list\"The Ground Shaker\"

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

FWIW The 401(all came w/4v's) is rated at 20 HP more than a 4v carbed 360. Torque rating is 25 ft-lb higher at 100 RPM lower.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                    All Makes Combined
                    • Jun 30, 2003

The difference between a 4v 401 and a 2v 360 is like night and day.
                    Rob
                    1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                    Click for video

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

I don't care much about what the ratings say and being a smog era the 401 was produced in AMC may have had reason to rate the 401 lower, don't know, don't really care either 'cause I know what I feel when I drive 'em.
                      The flogged 401 I ran in my '75 Cherokee Chief had an Offy manifold and 4bbl and it would stomp the '81 Cherokee Laredo with the reman 360 Edelbrock manifold and same 4bbl carb. Same size tires, 31x10.50 only other variable is the auto tranny. I've had other 360s, they have markedly less power, in fact you'd hardly know them from a Chevy.
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Still though 41 Cubes differance.....even at a Horse a Cube. If the 401 was rated being overly conservative then why not the 360 of the same year? At any rate, .085 larger bore and .24 in stroke does not equate to big power gains in my book, since everything else is the same on these motors in the stock form, there is no secret power elsewhere. Seat of the pants horse power and actual real horse power sometimes are two very different things, and hard to tell apart. To be safe I am going 140 cubes over the 360 so I do not get fooled. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Dec 28, 2002

well when you look at a 401's internals vs othe rAMC V8's or chebby's the 401 is a real BAD A## setup but who is talking stock numbers here not too many stock 401's left
                          AMC/Jeep Forum
                          Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
                          ///
                          "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

OH Granted the 401 has a forged crank and rods........ anything else? That makes it Kill a 360 in tearing down the street performance? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Sorry I do not buy it.

Comment

• Elliott
                              Cowboy Up
                              • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
                              OH Granted the 401 has a forged crank and rods........ anything else? That makes it Kill a 360 in tearing down the street performance? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Sorry I do not buy it.
                              I'm not reading where anybody is saying the difference is "killing a 360 in tearing down the street performance". It's probably closer to the difference between a stock 401 and a Buick 455.
                              With my flogged 401, when I nailed that 4bbl it got on it a whole lot harder then my reman 360 with the equivilent intake set up. I'm not talking 3 seconds off a 1/4 mile, I'm just saying my well worn 401 would beat "stomp" a new 360.... that shouldn't be such big news really, considering how much better a 401 will wear over extended mileage.
                              Maybe you want to attribute that more to the TH400? It probably has something do with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X