Yet another diesel conversion project (YADC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • budojeepr
    350 Buick
    • Feb 02, 2006

Yet another diesel conversion project (YADC)

Howdy,

I thought I'd introduce my new diesel Wagoneer project.

After reading as many of the threads about this as possible, I decided to go with the GM diesel for my tired Wagoneer (yeah, Brad W, this is it). I bought a 1984 Suburban that had had a 1995 6.5L installed by Peterbilt in Phoenix. The engine has about 40k on it. I'm also using the TH700R4 and hydroboost from the 'burb.

Bought a Transgo shift kit and assorted accessories, and a head gasket set and accessories. Lots of work yet to do, lots more $$ to spend.

Pics of the 'burb are -> here <- ... and I'll post more of the build as things progress. Pics of the Jeep the parts are going into are -> here <-.

Two questions (so far) for the experts in the group:

Are -> these <- CUCV headers worth the coin and effort? Will they fit the engine I have?

Anybody got a wiring diagram for the lockup torque converter control? I have the wiring and the little "PC board in a box", but I'd like to know what I'm getting into beforehand.

Cheers! I love new projects!
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)
  • Rednex4x4s
    232 I6
    • Dec 09, 2007

I would say those are the 6.2 manifolds on the motor now.I beleive they are the same.I myself would buy some flanges and build my own headers.To bad you dont have the turbo setup. Ihad a freind that put an aftermarket kit on a 6.2 and loved it.Good luck Hopefully by the end of the year I will be doing a Diesel conversion on mine.Im hoping to be able to get enough mileage from MyG-Wag with a diesel to be able to drive it everyday.
    It is wise to apply the oil of refined politeness to the mechanisms of friendship.
    http://www.fourwheeler.com/eventcove.../photo_48.html

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
      Gone,But not Forgotten.
      • Apr 09, 2005

I believe it's only a two wire system. Since you have the donor vehicle I suggest you take the wiring from it, that would be the best thing.

I'm doing the same except I'm using a cummins 4BT. Good luck on your swap.
      Last edited by COLOFIREMAN; 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM.
      Jason in the Mountains
      1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
      1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
      1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
      1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
      1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
      1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• DieselSJ
        304 AMC
        • May 19, 2003

A couple people on the 6.5 forums have tried those headers and reported no difference. Take your stock manifolds and match-port them to the head and open them up at the flange and they will flow fine. Go with a dual exhaust, at least 2.5", with dual 3" being even better.

Go check out bowtieoverdrives.com. In the section where they have their lockup controllers they have a couple good wiring diagrams. Right now I have mine controlled by a simple switch on the dash.

Make sure the shift kit is for a diesel trans!! Diesel shift points are a lot lower than the gas shift points.
        -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
        -99 XJ Limited.
        -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
        -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• ohioj20
          304 AMC
          • Nov 26, 2001

"CUCV headers worth the coin and effort? Will they fit the engine I have?"

They will fit, but I'm not sure of any benefits. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or email me. not an expert, but my dad and I have done three FSJ to 6.2's so we may have a few answers.
          Kenny
          1982 Jeep J10 body going on 1991 Dodge W250 frame with a Cummins and 5speed
          1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 V-8

Comment

• budojeepr
            350 Buick
            • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by COLOFIREMAN
            I believe it's only a two wire system. Since you have the donor vehicle I suggest you take the wiring from it, that would be the best thing.
            I did grab all the wires and the little box. However, there are more than two wires - I read somewhere that hitting the brakes unlocks the converter, too. Just wanted to know how it all fits. Neither my Haynes or Chilton's manual has the circuit diagram.
            Originally posted by DieselSJ
            A couple people on the 6.5 forums have tried those headers and reported no difference. Take your stock manifolds and match-port them to the head and open them up at the flange and they will flow fine. Go with a dual exhaust, at least 2.5", with dual 3" being even better.
            Excellent. I'll play with the die-grinder. I had planned large dual exhaust. I have a local shop that does fine work, much better than I could ever hope to do myself. They did my 454 exhaust, even called Flowmaster to make sure they tuned it for torque (per my request).
            Go check out bowtieoverdrives.com. In the section where they have their lockup controllers they have a couple good wiring diagrams. Right now I have mine controlled by a simple switch on the dash.
            Will do. Thanks for the link!

<edit>Couldn't find a diagram...found lots of wiring kits that are interesting and of course would solve the problem.
            Stainless steel cooling lines for 700R4, 2004R, TH400, TH350 and Power Glide transmissions. Install in 15 minutes. Cheap and Easy to do!

More info:

</edit>
            Make sure the shift kit is for a diesel trans!! Diesel shift points are a lot lower than the gas shift points.

I hadn't known about that! How can you specify? I didn't see anything about that in the Transgo catalog. I only went with Transgo because it's the most-recommended one out there.

Thanks for the help so far!
            Last edited by budojeepr; 02-14-2008, 07:56 AM.
            Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• budojeepr
              350 Buick
              • Feb 02, 2006

Update and a new dream

Working on the heads...at least I know now which cylinders were involved in the head gasket failure.

JP Magazine had a nice writeup of Dakota Digital gauge clusters for FSJs, so I went a-lookin'. Here are the new objects of my desire:

Dakota Digital (via BJ's Offroad, if they can get 'em)
              ======================================
              $110.95 DSL-2 Universal Flywheel Tachometer Interface
              $595.00 VFD3-73J-WAG 1973- 85 Jeep Wagoneer/ J-Trucks Instrument System
              $ 99.95 GSS-2000 Universal Gear Shift Indicator Sending Unit
              Total: $805.90

Dakota Digital also shows up on eBay...
              Last edited by budojeepr; 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• budojeepr
                350 Buick
                • Feb 02, 2006

Diesel/700R4 shift kit application

Well, the Transgo shift kit arrived yesterday. Seems top-shelf - VERY detailed instructions. And includes parts and instructions specifically for diesels. Whew! You had me worried for a while, there.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by budojeepr
                  <edit>Couldn't find a diagram...found lots of wiring kits that are interesting and of course would solve the problem.
                  It is under the tech articles -

700r4.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 700r4.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Grab a connector and brake light switch from the wrecking yard and you can put together a lockup harness for about $5.

Glad to hear about the shift kit. Transgo is good stuff.
                  -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                  -99 XJ Limited.
                  -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• budojeepr
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 02, 2006

It is under the tech articles -

700r4.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 700r4.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Grab a connector and brake light switch from the wrecking yard and you can put together a lockup harness for about $5.
                    Sweeeet. Thank you!

I already got the harness from the donor - I'll just make sure I grab the brake light switch, too.

Glad to hear about the shift kit. Transgo is good stuff.
                    There's going to be a learning curve on this one!

Comment

• budojeepr
                      350 Buick
                      • Feb 02, 2006

Old engine out!

Got the 258 out last night. Finally. After working on it for far too long. I've taken many an engine out of a vehicle, but none were as uncooperative as this one. Word to the wise: Don't bother trying to separate the engine from the transmission on this one. The top two bolts are impossible - right behind the head.

That was ... um ... Phase 4.

Phase 1: Find donor
                      Phase 2: Disassemble donor
                      Phase 3: Refurbish donor parts as required
                      Phase 4: Disassembly Wagoneer
                      Phase 5: Install hydroboost brake setup
                      Phase 6: Install donor parts

If you don't break it up into bite-size chunks you end up with yet another unfinished project in the garage!

Comment

• malodin
                        304 AMC
                        • Sep 03, 2004

i love the spray foam insulation...hmmm wonder if it was for exhaust fumes or sound deading?
                        1977 CHEROKEE CHIEF, 401, SOA FRONT SITTING ON HD44 4.10'S, TH400/D300 COMBO, 14BFF REAR WITH TT'S FAB'S REAR SHAKLE FLIP KIT, RB'S BRONCO TANK MOD. 35'S

Comment

• budojeepr
                          350 Buick
                          • Feb 02, 2006

[quote=ClarkGriswald]Looks like some of it came apart on takeoff.[/quote

Looks more like it broke apart during re-entry. What a find!

Comment

• budojeepr
                            350 Buick
                            • Feb 02, 2006

...and the donor has left the premises.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                              304 AMC
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by budojeepr

Yeah, my wiring looked like that. There are only a couple wires that you need. I pulled off the connector at the bulkhead and removed all unnecessary wires at the connector. More than half of those wires can be eliminated.
                              -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

Working...
                              X