• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BGW
    350 Buick
    • Jan 02, 2009

Remove the fuel tank in a '91?

Hello everyone!

Recently (all of the sudden) I've been getting about 4mpg. There isn't fuel in the oil, and the engine isn't running super rich or anything. I think I must have a fuel line leak. I can't find dripping fuel anywhere, so it must only be losing fuel when I'm driving.

I want to remove my gas tank to inspect it, because I think it may have cracked. Is it only held in by the skid plate, or are there steel straps? Do I just have to disconnect the lines and unbolt the skid plate?

TIA for your help!
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."
  • BGW
    350 Buick
    • Jan 02, 2009

Oh, and if it has any bearing on the problem, about the same time my gas milage dropped, a squeak developed under the skid plate. I have no idea what it is. I thought it was a spring bushing, but I tracked it down and I'm sure it's coming from something covered up by the skid plate.
    1991 Grand Wagoneer, Stock, 99k.

My buddy Sam: "...as far as gas money goes Peter's car is as thirsty as an alcoholic on St. Patricks day..."

Comment

• Cha05Twn07
      232 I6
      • Dec 15, 2009

From what I can remember when I did this last year, the skid plate actually holds the tank in place and there are straps that are actually connected to the skid plate - not the tank.
      1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      www.1991jeepgrandwagoneer.com

Comment

• Woody Mammoth
        258 I6
        • Apr 05, 2001

If you do have a leak, you will definitely smell it as you walk around your waggie. Most likely a major tune up is in order including adjusting the carburetor.

The plastic tank is strapped on the skid plate with I think two or three metal brackets and should have some rubber pads in between. The whole skid plate and tank combo is bolted next to the frame. You'll have to disconnect filler and vent hoses, and also hoses and wires on top of the sending unit. I have used a long piece of 2x12 lumber with a couple of floor jacks to hold the assembly up while I get all the bolts off. It will definitely help to have a second pair of hands.
        Woody Mammoth
        1991 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Jjkage84
          327 Rambler
          • May 18, 2011

I'll be doing the same too before long to repair a hole in my floor board and it appears I'm going to have to make a new skid plate as well since mine has rust holes in it... Yay...
          1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• austinaubinoe
            360 AMC
            • Aug 08, 2010

If you drop your tank replace all the rubber fuel lines. I replaced my sending unit, and I wish I could replace the lines, but I dont want to drop the tank.

Also, sand any rust off of that inner frame rail and skid and coat it with something like POR15.
            Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
            5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
            SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
            -1994 Baby Grand
            -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
            -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
            -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
            i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
            i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• gwinn
              360 AMC
              • Nov 05, 2001

Also check if fuel from bowl is being sucked into and dumping through charcoal canister. This would be happening at idle as well as while driving.
              1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

Working...
              X