X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coryd55
    350 Buick
    • Jan 23, 2010

So, I fired the engine, let it get to operating temp and shut it off. Wouldn't start - so still have the problem. Sprayed some starting fluid in, no start. Checked for spark - no spark.

Decided to replace ignition module - got a Borg-Warner since it was $30.00 cheaper and nobody had the ACDelco in stock. Got it timed to 12 degrees and adjusted the carb. It ran a whole lot better and drove better, but still wouldn't start after driving/running.

Anymore ideas? I didn't get a chance to test spark because I have a class in the morning and needed to drive back to Auburn. BUT, I am assuming it is still spark.

Suggestions? I am close to just buying a whole new distributor (if you haven't kept up, I bought a ProForm (the one BJs sells) from a member, it didn't work properly so I replaced the coil and ignition module with Chi-crap from a Chi-crap HEI from a local "racing" store (aka ricer store). I've got a feeling that bad decision is coming back to bite me in the bum.

HELP!
    1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
      350 Buick
      • Apr 23, 2011

Did you do the test with the choke as I suggested to see if the idle mixture is too lean?
      Andy
      '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
      Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Coryd55
        350 Buick
        • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
        Did you do the test with the choke as I suggested to see if the idle mixture is too lean?
        I didn't do exactly that, but I did tune the carburetor and left it a little on the rich side to check - still nothing.

Comment

• billyrb
          BJ's Off-Road
          • Aug 15, 2001

Cory, take the time to follow the suggestions posted, step by step. A lot of the people that are giving you the advice have been building, working on and tuning these jeeps for decades, and have a huge wealth of knowledge and experience behind them. It's worth it, if you really want to find solutions to the issues the jeep is having. Doing some of them partially or different may not result in the jeep running or driving better, and might end up wasting more time that you could spend on other tasks
          BJ's Off-Road
          [email protected]
          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Coryd55
            350 Buick
            • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by billyrb
            Cory, take the time to follow the suggestions posted, step by step. A lot of the people that are giving you the advice have been building, working on and tuning these jeeps for decades, and have a huge wealth of knowledge and experience behind them. It's worth it, if you really want to find solutions to the issues the jeep is having. Doing some of them partially or different may not result in the jeep running or driving better, and might end up wasting more time that you could spend on other tasks
            I know. It is a little overwhelming getting all sorts of different suggestions and what not - I am trying to run through them the best I can, but I get distracted easy and I also have a bad habit of getting an idea and running with it.

PCV valve and grommet are hopefully on the way. Should be here Tuesday.

License plate lamp and new torque arm/bushings on the way from BJs.

About to go ahead and do the fuel pump upgrade because I was planning on it anyway (only $112.90 from Summit with free shipping).

Hopefully I can work through this with all the advice I've been getting - I owe everyone a big thank you!

Comment

• The Colonel
              360 AMC
              • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Coryd55
              So, I fired the engine, let it get to operating temp and shut it off. Wouldn't start - so still have the problem. Sprayed some starting fluid in, no start. Checked for spark - no spark.

Anymore ideas? I didn't get a chance to test spark because I have a class in the morning and needed to drive back to Auburn. BUT, I am assuming it is still spark.

Suggestions? I am close to just buying a whole new distributor (if you haven't kept up, I bought a ProForm (the one BJs sells) from a member, it didn't work properly so I replaced the coil and ignition module with Chi-crap from a Chi-crap HEI from a local "racing" store (aka ricer store). I've got a feeling that bad decision is coming back to bite me in the bum.

HELP!
              So It sounds like you aren't getting spark like I've been thinking all along. Since it doesn't stall out on you once it's running, It wouldn't as likely be the coil or module causing this.
              Take a pair of jumper lead test wires with alligator clips and connect one to the HEI power wire and the other to the HEI metal body- like where one of the dizzy cap hold-down clip is. Connect these test wires to a mulit-meter set to DC volts. Let me know what voltage you are reading when the engine hot- key on only and hot when you are cranking trying to start and it isn't starting.

Comment

• CJ5
                350 Buick
                • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by billyrb
                Sound advice. I hate to see a college student throwing money at all sorts of wild goose chases and ancillary parts while the problem at hand is not being fully vetted. To solve the problem many posters are building on the results of each test. If the test is not followed through, there are no viable results to build from.

[DAD TALKING] Yesterday, there were two solid ideas (Burner and Colonel). Follow up on them specifically without getting sidetracked and report results.
                Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
                '72CJ - Complete Restore
                '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
                '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Coryd55
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by The Colonel
                  So It sounds like you aren't getting spark like I've been thinking all along. Since it doesn't stall out on you once it's running, It wouldn't as likely be the coil or module causing this.
                  Take a pair of jumper lead test wires with alligator clips and connect one to the HEI power wire and the other to the HEI metal body- like where one of the dizzy cap hold-down clip is. Connect these test wires to a mulit-meter set to DC volts. Let me know what voltage you are reading when the engine hot- key on only and hot when you are cranking trying to start and it isn't starting.
                  Will do. Will have to wait til I can get back down to Columbus (maybe be a while - Spring Break is this coming week March 10-March 18.

Comment

• Coryd55
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 23, 2010

Originally posted by bruner1981jpce
                    Also gonna finish this test when I get back.

Comment

• Coryd55
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 23, 2010

Forgot to post a picture of the boots I made, so here they are. Looks a lot better in person - also this picture makes me want to paint my transmission shifter, but that is another day. The t-case is four triangles stitched together (two identical larger ones and two identical smaller ones since the original boot is rectangular - it is a little tight on shifts, but I figure a) it will stretch a bit and b) I don't use it enough for it to be a problem right now and c) I have enough material to make several more, so that is ok. The transmission shifter is a kind of funky pie shaped piece that I made with some backwards (kinda) geometry and paper templates - it works very well and there is ample room for the shifter to move around. I put the stock boots under them, cut holes in the new ones to match the holes of the stock and put panel fasteners through both (I did it so the fasteners could not be seen). I am pretty happy with it. Not sure how I like the black though - couldn't find a burgundy that didn't look out of place.

Ignore the dirt and overexposure - by the way, my transmission shifter knob is black, not brown as the picture would indicate. Oh and who knows what the hanging wire goes too, since its here.

Comment

• Logans Run
                        327 Rambler
                        • Dec 10, 2011

that looks nice!
                        The Falcon ... 73, 360, TH400, D20, D44 3.54 (F&R), 6" BJ's spring lift, 35"

"I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when."

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                        P.S. those are some beeftastic bumpers!
                        My Build Thread:
                        http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151753

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

Well....the Jeep (against my will) is at a shop for the starting problem.

We'll see how that goes. It is so weird - almost like my mom wants her car back so she doesn't have to bum rides with my dad everywhere.

Comment

• Logans Run
                            327 Rambler
                            • Dec 10, 2011

Well....the Jeep (against my will) is at a shop for the starting problem.

We'll see how that goes. It is so weird - almost like my mom wants her car back so she doesn't have to bum rides with my dad everywhere.
                            LOL
                            The Falcon ... 73, 360, TH400, D20, D44 3.54 (F&R), 6" BJ's spring lift, 35"

"I've fought tougher men, but I really can't remember when."

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                            P.S. those are some beeftastic bumpers!
                            My Build Thread:
                            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151753

Comment

• Coryd55
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 23, 2010

Got my torque arm and bushings and license plate lamp in from BJs (thanks again guys - you have saved my butt many a time!). Looks great and was great service as always.

Got the PCV from OReilly's - still can't find anyone that has the grommet in stock.

The guy at the shop that still has the Jeep said the dizzy should just be replaced (I am looking at an MSD system currently) - I will be putting it in. He is currently checking out my oil leak - I think it is the rear main seal that has gotten worse since my PCV isn't hooked up - still have to find grommet as I said above.

A member on here will be shipping me the dash Chief emblem, cigar lighter, and wiper spring this week after I send him payment.

I have someone interested in my 240 gallon fish tank - which will GREATLY help my Jeep fund if I can get the guy to buy it. We'll see how that goes.

Comment

• 78WideTrak
                                232 I6
                                • Feb 12, 2012

(I am looking at an MSD system currently)
                                The Mallory HEI unit that BJ's carries is a good unit... Probably cheaper than the MSD unit.
                                78 Cherokee W/T. 360/TH400/ QT and D44's. Toyo M/T 33x10.5-15. Edelbrock 650, Mallory HEI, FULL re-wire.

Comment

Working...
                                X