Removal of diff carrier from D44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of diff carrier from D44

I checked out my rear diff last night. There is about 8-10 mils of play between the ring and pinion and about 200 mils through the spider gears. Unfortuneatly, the spider gears cannot be replaced while the carrier is in the housing. There is no way to get to the mate shaft lock pin.

The front diff has the same play and a rough and gritty pinnion bearing as well. Which I suppose accounts for the growl.

So has anyone ever removed a diff carrier from a Dana 44. Can it be done without a case spreader?

Thanks,
    Dave

------------------
    1977 WT Cherokee, 401V8, TH400, Quadra-trac, 4.09 gears.

[This message has been edited by Dave _S (edited August 23, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dave _S (edited August 23, 2000).]

Yes... you can remove the carriers... I did on mine. I unbolted the carrier caps and the pinion nut (pinion nuts first with wheel on the ground) and CAREFULLY used a prybar to remove them... working side to side so I didn't kick the carrier at an angle. Make sure you keep all your shims in place after removal.

The rear axles are pressed into the axle tubes. It took some work to get 'em out. I got hateful with the "BFH" (Big....uummmm.... Hammer)
    ------------------
    TJ
    78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
    360/TH400/QT
    Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
    7" SOA conversion
    4" Skyjacker Softride
    3" Trailmaster Bodylift
    33x12.50's on 15x10's
    (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
    My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
    My E-mail: [email protected]
    "Where there's a hill...there's a way!"

[This message has been edited by River Beast (edited August 23, 2000).]
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Well, its good to know it can be done. Guess, I will be doing it with or without a case a case spreader. I called one of the local diff shops for a quote on rebuilding these things and the estimate was more than I paid for the car.

Jeep=expensive time consuming hobby.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave _S:
        Well, its good to know it can be done. Guess, I will be doing it with or without a case a case spreader. I called one of the local diff shops for a quote on rebuilding these things and the estimate was more than I paid for the car.

Jeep=expensive time consuming hobby.
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya... the local shops are REDICULOUS around her... up to $500 for an install. Luckily I have a firend that owns a speed shop and said he would help me and "show" me how to do it and set it up right the first time. I'm a bit nervous but want to learn. It's a lot of money to throw away if done wrong... so I hear ya screamin'.

I have my rig on blocks right now with gutted axles... nothing but tubes and housings... waiting to get some Detroit Lockers and 4.88's LOTS of $$$$$

------------------
        TJ
        78 Wagoneer "River Beast"
        360/TH400/QT
        Dana 44's (soon to be 4.88's)
        7" SOA conversion
        4" Skyjacker Softride
        3" Trailmaster Bodylift
        33x12.50's on 15x10's
        (soon 38.5x14.50's on 12's)
        My FSJ site: http://www.geocities.com/~spazz4life
        My E-mail: [email protected]