International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
350 Buick

glad to see you are keeping the thrift side. like the look of the Jtruck. curious to see your progress.
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer {woodless}-Edelbrock 1406 carb, Edelbrock Sp2p Intake, Hella ecode headlights, bixenon HID 5000k headlights, mb quart 6.5" component speakers f&r, alpine cde-100 deck, final edition grill, Hella 550 fog lights, 1991 window regulators, cs144, aluminum coolant&washer tanks
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 AM

Thanks! I wish most of my time for the next 4-6 months didnt have to be spent on rebuilding my car, but it is what it is. However, my friend and i will probably cut up the spare ram frame to the proper wheelbase soon since itll be quick and easy.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Few more pictures of the trans. I have it all buttoned up, but may want to rebuild it once my friend and i transfer the drivetrain over to the new frame. The transfer case is back together, no real surprises inside it (plus I had two to work with).

Last edited by Mudbull : 11-29-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 PM

Im going crazy looking at everyones progress and not being able to work on my own!! Its looking like my cars going to take another 2-3 months to finish, then I can finally get going on swapping the rams drivetrain over to its new frame. until then im loving the 6spd commuting everday.

I bought some new-to-me wheels and tires since the others were no longer roadworthy. Theyre 18" rims, ill buy some new 37" 's when theyre on the kaiser, until then ill wear down these 33" 's. The chrome isnt bad, but is pitting, and im more into the blacked out look, so ill paint them eventually.

Im buying a 4" downpipe and exhaust back to a black 6" single stack (probably with a flapper) and installing it whenever it gets here.

Im also talking with someone on another forum to get a set of 70-90hp injectors, which should be perfect for me to max out the stock hx35 and be where i want to power wise. My friend whose going to help me with the swap, got all new gages in his truck, so i could get the engine tuned to how i want it before i swap it over. Im also looking into winches (electric vs hydraulic) but thats looking too far ahead unless i can find a great deal on it

and my work in progress/scrap metal-thanks to ignorant, clueless girl:

EDIT: I also got these with some of the tire money from the sale, itll also be the start of my on board air system. Ill get another compressor and bigger tank when its in the kaiser. I also ordered a 4" downpipe, but dont know if im going to be running an 'aussie' style stack or miter cut w/ a flapper, ill know by monday and hopefully will have it installed in the ram friday

Last edited by Mudbull : 02-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Wish i had more progress on the truck, but most of my time has gone into the demon, school, and now an internship...My friend and I cut 14 3/4" out of his spare long bed reg cab frame and welded them back together so its 120" wheelbase now. Ill probably have to cut the ends of the frame off to make it the proper overall length, but that'll have to wait until the frame gets next to the body.

The frame weld should be stronger then the frame rail...i watched someone get completely torn appart on CF for their frame shortening being unsafely executed, but there are/will be 8" plates on both sides of the weld (made up of excess frame rail) and probably on top/bottom too (that makes it practically 3/4" dia there) they are good mig welds w/ good penetration too. the cut may be vertical, but its on the tallest portion of the frame..ill take closer pics when we make progress on it.
Until then ill be driving the cummins ~100mi/day getting 18-22+mpg all the way (7000lb curb weight).
...good luck to everyone else on their projects!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Still anybodys guess as to when i can get to the body and other fun stuff (1- 2 months) but i thought id put up a picture of it on all fours (currently with my friends axles underneath it).
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Master Mechanic

When I get around to it i plan on going 6.2 just cuz its cheap to do and I don't have much money. But if you have the $$$ go for the 5.9!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Truth is FSJs are crack on wheels. One taste and you are addicted. Then you just want more. Anyone who does not see this is in denial.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM

That was my strategy too, but it turns out sometimes you can get lucky on these cummins rams if you keep your eyes peeled. It really is easier and cheaper to buy a whole donor too. In the end depending on what you intend to do with it either would be more then enough fun!!
With that being said, i got to drive my friends 1000lb-ft cummins a few blocks this weekend (previous owner blew up a couple dana 70's with it..that much torque). I have to say i was planning on a stock turbo with light modding but the speed, sound, and torque is infectious haha...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Finally got my car done and have gotten a chance to start on the kaiser!! heres what we got done today, got a lot of metal work to do before it can get dropped on the frame...

Old 10-06-2012, 06:56 PM
327 Rambler

Cool beans. I'm glad for you that you're able to get back to this.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks! me too! its been a long time coming, but im hoping to make this project as quick as possible, bodywork being the biggest issue....I almost hydrolocked my engine in my car today after a medium sized storm and some huge drainage issues (i have at most 4" ground clearance, and was forced to go through 10"+ of water). So i want to get the kaiser on the road ASAP..maybe even lift it some more haha...
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM

Bit of rust repair, like the whole rocker panel (inner and outer). Drivers side is good now up until windshield pillars for rust, Floors will not be done until cab is sitting on the Ram frame in case any mounts need to be fabbed or something like that...Onto the passanger side!

I mounted a Ram's power brake/master/ dist block assembly on the firewall, still need to modify the pedal-to-firewall bolt holes. I also gave up on the Rams ac/heater box, its too wide, so ill have to order a vintage air box or something when we get closer to that.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:45 AM

I feel your pain with all that rust. . .

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith
Also, I'll bet you if you cleanup that Clifford intake from your old I6, you could sell it here to help fund your Cummins project.
Those are desirable aftermarket intake for the folks running an I6

From the looks at the cab and bed on your truck, you are gonna need all the $$$ you can get!

That Clifford intake is for pre '79 AMC 6 cyls and should go with the exhaust if someone wants to put it on a newer motor. It'll fit up to '90 Wrangler 4.2L
Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudbull
and my work in progress/scrap metal-thanks to ignorant, clueless girl:

It's a shame about your Ruster. Mine had the 318 with 340 crank (ex-Cop motor) and some bimbo on her way home from the bar plowed into a train then hit me (train was moving) while I was waiting at the crossing. Yes, her car was green.

PS: While your diesel is out, check to see if the oiler fix has been done yet. It would suck to install it, only to have it fall out and wipe out the cam/crank gears!

Last edited by Carnuck : 11-01-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 AM

I sold the Intake on here a while ago, engine and trans after that...

The first thing i plan on doing with the engine is replacing all the seals on the timing cover and making sure the dowel pin is tabbed. It has 285000mi on it now, owner said its 100% stock untouched.

Sorry to hear about your luck w/ your duster Carnuck...My demon is green now (so idiot drivers can see me better haha)
Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I sold the Intake on here a while ago, engine and trans after that...

The first thing i plan on doing with the engine is replacing all the seals on the timing cover and making sure the dowel pin is tabbed. It has 285000mi on it now, owner said its 100% stock untouched.

Sorry to hear about your luck w/ your duster Carnuck...My demon is green now (so idiot drivers can see me better haha)

Actually, the green blends in with the grass and trees so people hit them more often (according to the insurance institute findings)
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnuck
Actually, the green blends in with the grass and trees so people hit them more often (according to the insurance institute findings)

hmm, very interesting. Obviously i hadnt thought of that haha...it was between white and sublime, less for standing out and more personal preferrence, i also installed an LED 3rd brake light..but when you plow into someone at 50mph (whose completely stopped), not much couldve grabbed your attention in time.

A side note on the thriftside bed...its so far gone that Im just going to be saving the fenders and bottom/side 'skirts', buying ford stepside sides, and using the floor from a ram bed, but more of that in a couple months

Last edited by Mudbull : 11-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
hmm, very interesting. Obviously i hadnt thought of that haha...it was between white and sublime, less for standing out and more personal preferrence, i also installed an LED 3rd brake light..but when you plow into someone at 50mph (whose completely stopped), not much couldve grabbed your attention in time.

A side note on the thriftside bed...its so far gone that Im just going to be saving the fenders and bottom/side 'skirts', buying ford stepside sides, and using the floor from a ram bed, but more of that in a couple months

I'd like a set of those fenders to put on my '83 Sportside. Box looks pretty much the same otherwise.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 AM

...I have no shortage of projects, but why doesnt someone just make a fiberglass mold of these fenders, it sounds like they'd sell like hotcakes.

Passanger side rocker is done, firewall, floor, top of cab still to go, but we've got about a month before we can take the Ram appart (school/ work get in the way).