• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • over2land
    232 I6
    • Nov 16, 2003

Interior pictures and opinions?

Hey guys, I've seen the exterior and grill stuff that takes you through it year by year.

But what I'm wondering about is interior stuff.

Normally I like older Jeep dashboards, as they are more sparse. But, in this case, I can only bring to mind an 86-87 dash. Not really all that into it, nor really all that old.

My 72 Jeepster came with a manual that is for the Waggy's too, and the Waggy and Jeepster dashes look similar, but those drawings aren't pictures.

Well anyway, I was just wondering if there was anywhere to see the different interiors, or if you guys could put up some pictures for me to look at of em.

Thanks.
    \"Not drunk is he who from the floor can rise alone and still drink more. But drunk is he who postrate lies without the power to drink or rise.\"
  • KaiserMan
    I got the Willys....
    • Jun 21, 2005

63-65

Thomas Russell
    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
    1971 Gladiator
    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• over2land
      232 I6
      • Nov 16, 2003

Heh, I like those, thanks.

Must be a PITA to get and find parts for though, huh?
      \"Not drunk is he who from the floor can rise alone and still drink more. But drunk is he who postrate lies without the power to drink or rise.\"

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

It's not that hard to find parts. The dash compass is one of the harder items to find. I should haved mentioned, that is not my truck. I wish it was though. The interiors from 63-73 didn't change much. Did you notice where the shifter for the TC is? Alot handier then on the passengers side of the hump like the later models.

[ February 15, 2006, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
        Thomas Russell
        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Late 60's rig

70's rig.
          Thomas Russell
          1971 Gladiator

Comment

• over2land
            232 I6
            • Nov 16, 2003

I figured it out...

You are getting the pictures from here:

That'll keep me entertained for a while, thanks. And, thanks for the year breakdowns too.

Everyone else is still welcome to play, BTW.

Comment

• over2land
              232 I6
              • Nov 16, 2003

Is the 63-65 dash all metal?

As opposed to the late 60's dash, which looks like its got a plastic pad on top of it?

Comment

• KaiserMan
                I got the Willys....
                • Jun 21, 2005

The dash pad was optional from 63 to 65 or 6, then it became standard. The dash in the 63-65 pic has no pad. That Argintina Jeep site is great, it's got alot of cool pics. Some of IFSJA's members rigs are in thier as well.
                Thomas Russell
                1971 Gladiator

Comment

• over2land
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 16, 2003

Ah, ok.

So, if you pulled the pad off the mid to late 60's dash, but still with the bumps, not the smooth one, would it be the same underneath?

Am I correct in assuming these dashes come apart like my M715?

Yeah, lots of good pics there. But they just spawn more questions.

Like, for instance in the first picture you put up, I guess the buttons and slide, in the silver panel are heater controls?

Why doesn't this one have them?

And, if those are heater controls, then what are the two knobs to the right, and two knobs under the dash for?

Thanks again

Comment

• KaiserMan
                    I got the Willys....
                    • Jun 21, 2005

All 63-85 FSJ dashes look the same underneath the pads, except the 70 or 71 ups have a hole cut out in the center for a speaker.

Heaters where optional untill the late 60's. This truck must not have been ordered with one.
                    The slide and buttons next to the gauge cluster in the climate (heater) control panel, and the knobs next to it are the floor vents. The two knobs on teh bottom of the dash are left: parking/head lights and right: wiper and winshield washer. A manual choke control could also have been present in between the two if it where equipped with one, FSJ civi truck dashes are held in with 7 bolts under the windshield gasket, and 2 on either side above the floor vents

[ February 15, 2006, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
                    Thomas Russell
                    1971 Gladiator

Comment

• over2land
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 16, 2003

ok, the 715 has the 7 bolts along the top, but you can get them from the front of the dash. How are they accessed for the civi dash? The 715 has the 2 bolts either side of where the floor vents would be too.

Thanks for the info, again.

Anyone convert the newer style to the older style?

Like everyone says that the grills are the same, but to convert from a square headlight to a rhino style isn't so easy. I'm wondering if this is the same kind of thing.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                        I got the Willys....
                        • Jun 21, 2005

The correct way to access teh 7 bolts is to remove teh winshield. But some people on this site have gotten to them by cutting the gasket flap that covers them, or by simply prying it out of the way. A older dash will bolt into any newer FSJ, but wiring would present a problem. I don't see why it couldn't be done though. Any 63-72 dash will be a direct swap. I have a 68 dash in my 71. My pad was cooked, and I didn't want to have the speaker hole out in the open.
                        Thomas Russell
                        1971 Gladiator

Comment

• over2land
                          232 I6
                          • Nov 16, 2003

I mean if I was looking to just take any dash, and make it look like the 63-65. Aside from the hole in top for the speaker, they are all the same under the padding and whatnot? Or are the faces (front of dash) a different stamping from 73 and up?

I'm not too concerned about the wiring, as that I can handle.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                            I got the Willys....
                            • Jun 21, 2005

The 73 and up don't have a speaker grill on the passengers side, and the guage cluster fills in the entire area on the drivers side, the the hole for it extends to where the heater and vent pulls are on the early dashes. So while you can pull the pad and still have the original dash profile (with a speaker hole) you would not be able to fit an original guage cluster and would have no speaker grill.
                            Thomas Russell
                            1971 Gladiator

Comment

• chrisnsarah
                              360 AMC
                              • Sep 24, 2000

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaiserMan:
                              [QB]63-65

Does anyone know how to reproduce the designs on these door panels and where do you get the vinyl in this color? Thriftside has the same color interior-only in worse shape.
                              '64 J200 thriftside
                              '67 J2000 townside custom cab
                              '68 Jeepster Commando
                              '69 Super Wagoneer
                              '75 J10
                              '79 Cherokee S WT
                              '75 Cherokee
                              '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

Working...
                              X