• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fiero377ci
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 24, 2018

1963 Willy's jeep gladiator, slow build

This is my first ever jeep project. 2 months ago I Picked up this awesome gladiator at an auction for $50 title included. Drove it on the trailer, after disassembling the starter twice @ 8 degrees. Flanged rear axle is wasted, PO tried to push the back sideways with a dozer while it was froze in. Anyway the axle and hub are bent way out. While it's possible to replace all this, it's a perfect time for an upgrade.
    Forward to yesterday, picked up what most people consider obsolete junk. It's an Eaton ho52 with 4.57 gears, for $100. Main reason I bought it was the brand new disc conversion, which I promptly stole for my Chevy g30 14b ff. I will use the drums from that back on the Eaton. Width is just right about 65". I will need to either go to 8 lug outers on existing or maybe a gm hd44 with 8 lug and disc.

PO also swapped in a 258 2 barrel, still has a 3 speed and dana 20. hopefully soon i will find a 4 speed. parts are hard to find around here as wv doesn't give salvage licenses. in other words the only yard around here are grandfathered in, and knows he has you over a barrel whenever you pull in. just last week tried to get me for $800 for a chevy colorado rear axle. we promptly made the 2 hour drive to johnnys u pull in altoona, for $130. sad thing is this guy has over 20 gladiators and wagoneers.
    Last edited by fiero377ci; 03-20-2018, 06:59 AM.
  • fiero377ci
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 24, 2018

Trying to find a better way to get pics on here

Comment

• fiero377ci
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 24, 2018

pics

Comment

• fiero377ci
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 24, 2018

other than the missing bed, its reasonably complete. also in pretty good shape rust wise, for a jeep. will need outer rockers, partial cab corners, and a little bit of floor. here is the axle going in, many hours from being finished.

Comment

• Crankyolman
          350 Buick
          • Sep 27, 2017

Looks like a nice truck, and a great deal
          '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Good times! Looking forward to seeing it get back on the road!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Joodan24
              230 Tornado
              • Nov 08, 2017

Hey. Full disclosure, i dont really know what im talking about. Been rebuilding a 63 gladiator for 6 months now. But Ive done a ton of research in a time when you have to find the original, 55 year old BOOKS to get good info.

You call it a Willy's Gladiator . . I find this interesting because I have only ever read about a Kaiser Jeep Gladiator starting in mid '62. Funny enough,, '62 to '65 Gladiators were built using left-over Willy's truck beds and rear axles. But even funnier, based on the pictures, looks like the frame is a Willy's Truck frame (looks shorter than even the '63 J-100).

Comment

• fiero377ci
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 24, 2018

I'm sorry but are you trying to be sarcastic? The id tag does say willys

Comment

• Crankyolman
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 27, 2017

For the first year of Gladiator production, maybe even only half year the VIN tags were Willys tags, they changed the name of the company somewhere around 63-64 to Kaiser Jeep, that may have even happened mid year of '63. So a '63 model year is likely to have a Willys tag. I think some may even have Kaiser-Willys VIN tags. I will also add that my '66 had a Willys tag under the hood, as does my '72 but they are not VIN tags, as used in '63 model year, although I seem to remember my '66 having a Willys VIN so it's entirely possible it was a '63 registered as a '66. To my knowledge '72 was the last year the Willys name was used on a tag on a Gladiator. As far as a short frame, although some may argue the point, I remember my '66 had a 6 ft bed on it, not a 7 ft bed. I believe this was available until around '66 but can't really say, I know that extra short bed was original to my '66 and the suspension was so heavy duty it was like not having suspension at all.

Now I am going to complain about that damn photobucket I have really grown to HATE that stupid website. I saw the pictures this morning but now all I get is "3rd party hosting has been disabled". This website has become so difficult to try to see any pictures on because of that stupid website.
                  '72 J4500

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2004

photobucket = no see ‘em pictures...
                    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                    50 CJ3A
                    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• 63J200atLSU
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jan 15, 2016

Would really love to see pictures as you go along with this. I've been bringing a 63 back from the grave for about 2 years now. Turning into a great little truck.

FLICKR is a great alternative to photobucket. After photobucket pulled that nonsense last year, trying to get people to pay 400/year for a service offered elsewhere for free, that they previously offered for free, I really don't want anything to do with em, myself...
                      '63 J200 Resto-mod in progress
                      (http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=178651)

If all goes well, we can toast to accidental successes.

I'm convinced I'm just too dumb to know that I can't restore this old truck...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by 63J200atLSU
                        ... After photobucket pulled that nonsense last year, trying to get people to pay 400/year for a service offered elsewhere for free, that they previously offered for free, I really don't want anything to do with em, myself...
                        PREACH IT BROTHER!!!!
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                        X