Has anyone else fine tuned a fitech for efficiency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

I changed the cruise one to 15.5

I’ll fill my tank tomorrow and will report next fill up after that in a week or so if it helped.
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Just be sure to check plugs after a cruise type run
      to ensure not too lean for your engine.

every engine is a little different what works for one won't always work for another.
      i cannot run the same tune on my 90 as what's on the 88.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
        Just be sure to check plugs after a cruise type run
        to ensure not too lean for your engine.

every engine is a little different what works for one won't always work for another.
        i cannot run the same tune on my 90 as what's on the 88.
        What do I check for if they

What do I check for if they’re already carboned up? White burn?

Also I gapped my plugs at .50 because I read that you could after the ignition upgrade I did. Would that make any helpful or hindering difference here?
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

I sure would not run a .050 gap on one of these.
          Have always run .035 regardless of ignition or fueling upgrades.
          just my opinion

google has decent pics of too lean plugs
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
            350 Buick
            • Apr 10, 2016

just my opinion

just my opinion

I had read that it makes a bigger spark therefore, making all the fuel burn better or something. Its been a year and half so I don’t remember exactly why I did it. I was just wondering if it was snake oil about all that, and if it could possibly have anything to do with efficiency because it’s not a normal setting for a plug gap.

I’ll see what this tank does with the higher afr settings first. Then I will change the gaps back to 35-37? and put a new plug in #1 and run it for a hundred or so and see if I can get a better reading rather than use a carboned up already plug.

Comment

• Crankyolman
              350 Buick
              • Sep 27, 2017

I got gas today so was able to check my mileage. 9.0 MPG which is pretty much what it was getting before fuel injection. I haven't made any changes to any settings besides PWM and prime shots but I guess it's now time to start trying to understand what settings I need to change to try to get a little better mileage.
              '72 J4500

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

I thought I would update this since I got gas again Yesterday. A few days after getting gas last time I made a few adjustments to AFR. I didn't get too radical because I was worried about getting too lean but gas mileage has improved a little bit to 9.5 MPG. I think that's still far too low but there are things I still need to do to see if I can get some improvement.
                '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
                X