• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DieselSJ
    304 AMC
    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thechier86
    Mark, will you post a couple of pics of your fuel filter and water separator? I'm curious about how to mount them out of harm's way, since I intend to do some pretty hardcore wheeling with mine...
    By the way, my 6.5td tow pig developed a misfire on the 3 hour trip to come pick up the waggy... gotta figure that out, and I'm sure it's gonna be expensive. Haha. I swapped a mechanical pump onto it a few years ago because it was under water during a flood and that killed everything electronic on the truck. If I can't figure it out, I'll probably pm you.
    Happy thanksgiving!
    I'll get those pics. I have them tucked up where the spare tire used to be.
    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
    -99 XJ Limited.
    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Gadzooks2
      232 I6
      • Sep 19, 2006

Originally posted by DieselSJ
      So you coming to Henderson?
      I shook the magic 8 ball and the answer was "The outlook is Not good".

78' J-9, 96' XJ

Comment

• DieselSJ
        304 AMC
        • May 19, 2003

As I acquire parts, the plans change or get refined as I stare at things. The original engine had some scuffed cylinders in #6 and #8, and while I didn't think it was much of an issue (and was extremely pressed for time) when I first installed the diesel, it had oil control and blow-by issues. The issues were manageable, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted it done right because I do not want to do it over (again). So, I started putting plans together for pulling the engine and a rebuild.

Well, a couple weeks ago...2 Navistar cast 6.5 blocks came up for auction on a military surplus site. The block I used, 1997, were the most crack-prone blocks. In 2001 or so, Navistar took over casting of the blocks from GM and they made some design improvements that made them the most durable of the 6.2/6.5 line (short of the P400 stuff that came out later, but that is a totally different animal). These blocks have thicker decks, thicker cylinder walls, thicker main webs, and heavier main caps, along with some oiling revisions. They still carry the "509" designation that the 1997-later blocks had, but are easily identified by the Navistar logo cast into the valley. They don't crack under heavy use like the early 509 blocks.

And now I have 2 of them. (insert evil laugh here). They showed up on my loading dock at work today. One appears to be never run, while the other has signs of running but no detectable wear.

Plans - build up a 18:1 compression engine, boost it to 20psi with an intercooler, and enjoy the power. I also plan the very liberal use of special coatings - ceramics on the piston tops, and dry film lubes on the skirts, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, piston pins, camshaft, and timing gears. I am still debating on roller rocker setup, or just stock stuff that has been coated.

Now, there is that issue of finding time to do this...
        -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
        -99 XJ Limited.
        -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises

Comment

• TrenchFoot
          232 I6
          • May 13, 2011

Originally posted by DieselSJ
          And now I have 2 of them. (insert evil laugh here). They showed up on my loading dock at work today. One appears to be never run, while the other has signs of running but no detectable wear..
          We've never met, yet I'm fighting the urge to say very unflattering things about you.

Nice score. I see a good number of engines in crates come up on auction and sometimes it works out very, very well for the buyer. I kinda wished I'd rolled the dice and bought one myself.

How could you tell you were getting good Navistar blocks instead of random GM junk castings? Onsite visual or something in the online pictures?
          Last edited by TrenchFoot; 03-14-2016, 03:55 PM.
          '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• DieselSJ
            304 AMC
            • May 19, 2003

LOL...

I'll add that they are not complete engines - they are blocks with cranks installed. Not sure why they sell them in pairs. Being surplus, I'll tear it down and have the machine shop clean, measure, check for cracks and we will go from there. I'll sell off whichever block I don't use, along with my current engine. Current engine is going to be the donor for my connecting rods, unless I can find a new set somewhere.
            -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• DieselSJ
              304 AMC
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by TrenchFoot
              How could you tell you were getting good Navistar blocks instead of random GM junk castings? Onsite visual or something in the online pictures?
              There is a <> cast into the valley on the Navistar blocks. I could see it in the photos.
              -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• TrenchFoot
                232 I6
                • May 13, 2011

I've heard of guys scoring fresh rebuilds on auction. Also read about fresh rebuilds with missing or used injector pumps. Seems that units will order a whole block if a part is out of stock. But there's a lot of GM 6.5 castings in the supply system.
                Last edited by TrenchFoot; 03-14-2016, 05:37 PM.
                '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• DieselSJ
                  304 AMC
                  • May 19, 2003

It is interesting what you get. First block has a 2009 casting date. Good stuff. The other is obscured but appears to be 2008. The 09 has no pistons, but it has a cam and timing chain, no lifters. I am having a hard time determining if it has been run. Other engine has no cam and is missing all the outer bolts on the main caps. Crank has a jacked up journal that appears to be from mishandling (prior to shipping) and not related to running. Both are missing all freeze plugs, but still have the block heaters installed. They are also machined for the center mount turbo, which really means nothing other than I have to tap and plug the oil feed and return holes.
                  -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

my brother bought one of these mil spec engines for his service truck. the differences are pretty easy to see. the navistar blocks are clearly superior.

now make sure you aint running that thing lean.....
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• DieselSJ
                      304 AMC
                      • May 19, 2003

I have one block totally stripped and ready for the machine shop. It is getting dropped off tomorrow. The block that didn't look like it had been run actually had some really strange erosion in the top 1/4" of one of the cylinders, so totally above where the rings contact the bore. The rest of the block is spotless though. If it won't clean at .020, then I'll just have that cylinder sleeved. The crank and bearings in that block looked brand new. Since I don't know the actual history, this crank will go up for sale and I'll be using a new Scat crank.

Got the other block stripped down also. Aside from cylinder wear, this block appears to be in great shape as well. Definitely rebuildable. As soon as the machine work is done on block #1, this one will go up for sale.
                      -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                        304 AMC
                        • May 19, 2003

Now just trying to track down 18:1 pistons for the 6.5. The guy that used to do it has not built any for a long time and he is quoting $1200 for a set and a 3 month lead time. He is also telling my machine shop that I should go with splayed mains, of course using his $750 main caps. Seriously, just give me the pistons. There are marine versions available for about half the cost, but they only have standard bore available. I also don't like the marine versions because all they did was move the pin to drop the crown to lower the compression, which jacks with the quench. Not a fan of that.
                        -99 XJ Limited.

Comment

Working...
                        X