Running without a Front Drive Shaft on Q-Trac? is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rocket Dog
    232 I6
    • Nov 19, 2008

Running without a Front Drive Shaft on Q-Trac? is it ok?

Well, I have not been able to do much work to the waggy for sometime now, but I do drive it everyday to work (44 miles both way) and it seems to be running OK.

My question is that every time I put the waggy into drive in the morning or reverse there is a loud bang! I can grab the drive shaft and move it about 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I don't want to break down or tear up the Quadratrac.

Can I contunue to drive it with out the front shaft? I want to get a 205 and a new front d44 or d60 (if i ever find a free one). but I realy need to tow.

any know if there is a major problem?

think I have a mile marker P/T so, I think I should be good....

thanks
  • JeepinPete
    304 AMC
    • Dec 09, 2003

If you have a part time kit, then yes, you should be good to go. The slack in the driveline you feel is from the course spline used on the output shaft of the TH400 and the mating input socket in the QT. They wear over 30+ years, and there isn't much you can do other than find good used parts to replace the worn.
    Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
    Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
    Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• 10fennyglass
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 25, 2009

this is a debatable question... as i went through the same thing. if your tcase is in e-drive a collar is splined to a shaft which will lock out the diff in the tcase which i dont think should add any other force to anything if you have the front drive line out... i was doin big rwd burnouts forever with no probs.... i just rebuilt my tcase to replace the chain and there was no abnormal wear

Comment

Working...
      X