Should I put Holley Pro-Jection on my 89 Grand Wagoneer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

that'll work. they have the nicer kits usually too.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

if the throttle shaft holes dont need to be re-bushed, dont mess with the throttle plates. Also, just make sure the altitude thingy is on tight and leave it alone. The Napa kit P/n is something like Echlin 5231. It was a great kit. I used it to make a runner out 3 bad carbs.
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• jaber
        Dragin Az
        • Oct 17, 2003

I did a TBI on a fresh built 360 so when I gave the keys to the wife, it ran like new. After 7 years of DD service, we have never had a problem with it. I just pulled the motor and put it into a nicer body for her and it alway starts, easily. I'm a little scared of carbs (have rebuilt a couple and got lucky, but affraid of what I dont understand I guess) and like the fact that I adjusted it once and have not had to touch it in the 70K miles its been used.

On the other hand, if you understand the carbs, these guys will walk you through any problems your having. I'm just getting spoiled with this TBI.

Just my $.02 to the thread.

Good luck.
        Jeff

'43 cj2a
        '51 Willys p/u
        '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
        '68 Panel Delivery
        '74 CJ5
        '75 J-20 Wrecker
        '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
        '77 J-10 p/u
        '79 Cherokee
        '88 Grand Wagoneer
        '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

I did the projection on the mustang 2bbl analog version. Bought it new and didn't have any problems with it. Being the 2bbl version it was not enough 'carb' for my Cleveland but it got me past emissions. AZ finally passed a law where I am exempt (73 mustang with classic car insurance) so I pulled the fuel injection and put a 'truck avenger' carb on it. (keep reading...)

For the Jeep, when I swapped in the 401 I put the same model 2bbl analog verions on the Jeep. Runs great. Also not enough 'carb' for the 401. It did however start right up and would run at any angle. I found it had a flat spot that I could never cure. It also had fuel pickup issues so I couldn't go below 1/4 tank. The trouble was, having bought it used and wheel'n the crap out of my jeep, the electic gremlins started to get to me and I would have to wiggle the main connector sometimes to get it to run right. I tried to fix it to no avail. So I decided I would swap it out for a Truck avenger (from the mustang) once I collected the rest of the parts for the next mustang carb swap.

Now I have the Truck avenger on the 401 and I love it. Starts right up. No flat spot. I took it wheel'n on some very steep hills and it never hickuped.

IMHO if you are going to go fuel injection, to get the real benefits, you need to go port injection. Throttle body is nice but you still have to tune to the leanest cyl. Otherwise, for our jeeps, I think a TA is just as good.

If you had a motor with a big cam then TBI would probably be better than a carb since the bigger cams tend to mess up the signals to the carb.
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Rider99XX
            232 I6
            • Apr 07, 2009

What's the H.P. of a stock AMC 360? I was reading the Holley specs and the state "Non-computerized V-8 engine of not more than 275 H.P."

How much H.P. does a stock AMC 360 with a 2 bbl put out?? Just wondering if the Holley Pro-Jection is enough for the V8.
            Terry & Anne, Brandon MS
            87 Grand Wagoneer, all stock, 360, 2bbl. Our first Jeep.

Comment

• Chris P.
              350 Buick
              • Oct 12, 2003

Projection should be enough for a stock 360, but in my opinion they are way overpriced. You can build you own closed loop system with ignition control with parts from a '88-91 chevy for under $300.
              79 J10 Honcho 360/T-18/D20
              Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
              78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• jdaniel83
                350 Buick
                • Sep 26, 2008

I did the Pro-Jection upgrade and to be honest I'm not as happy as I thought I would be with it. It runs fine and operates smooth (except for an occasional hiccup on cold mornings under hard acceleration, which can be fixed) but if I had it to do over again and had access to the GM parts I would have done the closed loop system that Chris P talked about.

But the Pro-Jection once properly tuned has been very reliable and does run smoother and has better emissions than my old carb setup did.
                '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                  • Mar 20, 2005

I had an old analog Pro-Jection and was never happy with it. The newer digital ones may be better, but I have a turnkey GM TBI (Howell) and just bought a chip burner since I've modded my motor.

I've been having loads of fun burning chips and gasoline!
                  Ethan Brady
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• RED-85-Z51
                    258 I6
                    • Feb 02, 2009

Well, I replaced the PCV valve, cleaned the engine vent, and played with the timing all morning, from extreme retarder to extreme advanced, reset the idle needles to 1.5 from a soft seat, all the way out to 3 turns ( it liked that a little). I checked all over for vac leaks and could only find the broken pipe at the manifold that goes to the choke cup...

It starts "okay" and has to warm up a minute before I can try to drive it, or it will stumble at first, and stall down the road..but in Park or neutral the idle feels like it has a bit of cam in it, in gear there is definetly something amiss.

I tried playing with the base idle, no change, it just runs funny at a little higher or lower rpm.

New wires will be in Tuesday, 8mm Echlin wires.

The more I think about the Pro-Jection, I can see where it would have a flat spot, as it is operating off a preset injectior flow table in the ECM and adjsuts itself based on throttle blade angle, air density, Intake air temp, etc...It doesnt actually know how well the engine is running, but it will continue to operate it off of a pre-set list of values...would probably run very well, but not be as seamless as Sequntial Multi-Port injection, or open loop TBI.

I can get anthing I need to convert it to a early GM 350ci style TBI setup used through work, anyone got a detailed list of exactly waht Id need...and what about a computer?
                    1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer SOLD

1998 Ram 1500
                    5.9 Magnum
                    4 speed auto
                    Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
                    350 Tuned Port Injection
                    *restoring now*

1976 Corvette L48 Stingray
                    -restoring-

1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Sedan
                    4.5 Liter V8
                    all Options

Comment

• Chris P.
                      350 Buick
                      • Oct 12, 2003

All the info you ever wanted is right here:
                      To keep stickys to a minimum, I will try to keep the most important threads linked from here. First, all information is free but this web site isn't. So as you sift thru all I have posted here, if you feel it has helped or saved you some time or money...please consider becoming a member. Then...

I think you'll be happy with this conversion. I drove 140 miles today and averaged 17.4.
                      Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                      78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• RED-85-Z51
                        258 I6
                        • Feb 02, 2009

Originally posted by Chris P.
                        All the info you ever wanted is right here:
                        To keep stickys to a minimum, I will try to keep the most important threads linked from here. First, all information is free but this web site isn't. So as you sift thru all I have posted here, if you feel it has helped or saved you some time or money...please consider becoming a member. Then...

I think you'll be happy with this conversion. I drove 140 miles today and averaged 17.4.
                        Wow, what a pain in the rear to make, and you have to have someone tune it in for you...

If someone made a bolt on kit like that, it'd be alright, but welding bungs to the exhaust, getting all the wiring sorted out...sounds like electronics hell.

1998 Ram 1500
                        5.9 Magnum
                        4 speed auto
                        Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
                        350 Tuned Port Injection
                        *restoring now*

-restoring-

4.5 Liter V8
                        all Options

Comment

• jaber
                          Dragin Az
                          • Oct 17, 2003

This is where I got mine. I spent $1000 on my set up and its been 7 years. His customer service sucks and has turned many people away, but my system works. Just a thought...

Jeff

'43 cj2a
                          '51 Willys p/u
                          '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                          '68 Panel Delivery
                          '74 CJ5
                          '75 J-20 Wrecker
                          '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                          '77 J-10 p/u
                          '79 Cherokee
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Chris P.
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 12, 2003

It does take time a lot of time, but anyone with a little mechanical ability can do it and I think it is worth it. You can do the tuning yourself with about $100 worth of parts (programmer and chip) from moates.net.

With the kits you would still have to weld an O2 bung in the exhaust plus I don't think they come with timing control.
                            Summit 8600 cam, GM TBI
                            78 Wagoneer 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                              • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by RED-85-Z51
                              Wow, what a pain in the rear to make, and you have to have someone tune it in for you...

If someone made a bolt on kit like that, it'd be alright, but welding bungs to the exhaust, getting all the wiring sorted out...sounds like electronics hell.
                              If you think electronics are hell, you might be well advised to stay with a carb.

I'm not picking on you. Some people are better at some things than others.

If you can install a radio without getting confused or blowing fuses, you can install a turnkey TBI system like Howell or the others out there. Custom EFI has supposedly turned over a new leaf, but that's only according to his website. I have not heard any independent confirmations.

Tuning an TBI system is pretty easy IF you're comfortable with electronics, a computer and have about $200 for a reader/burner and a cable.

If right clicking and using the DOS command line scare you, TBI tuning is not for you.
                              Ethan Brady
                              1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• RED-85-Z51
                                258 I6
                                • Feb 02, 2009

ELectronics dont scare me when it's OEM.

MY old vette has the early Tuned Port injection, talk about a wiring nightmare..Knock sensor, Mass Airflow sensor, Intake Temp Sensor, 02 Sensor, 8 Injectors, OBD-1 ECM, Coolant Temp sensor, Cooling fan senor and relay, MAFS burnoff relays, oil temp sender, oil press sensor, HEI, Electronic Timing Control, IAC valve, TPS,..and thats not even the half of it...haha, and In nearly 7 years of ownership, Ive had to mes with most of it due to a operation problem. None of it bothers me, if something stops working I usually know right where to go to fix it...If I was to try to swap it all over to the Jeep...well that would never happen...

The electronic Overdrive on my Volvo stopped working and I traced it all down to a broken solder joint in a relay under the dash...soldered the relay, problem solved.

just putting something from one vehicle, on another...worrys me.

1998 Ram 1500
                                5.9 Magnum
                                4 speed auto
                                Quad Cab

1985 Corvette Z51
                                350 Tuned Port Injection
                                *restoring now*

-restoring-

4.5 Liter V8