X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

There's a slick little cooler for such a system that will give you a remote resevoir. I'm fixin to do this and add a hydroboost as well.
    I think RB said that a high pressure pump and hydroboost don't mix though.
    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• robselina
      304 AMC
      • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by Elliott:
      There's a slick little cooler for such a system that will give you a remote resevoir. I'm fixin to do this and add a hydroboost as well.
      got a part number and source for that? Sounds interesting....
      Rob

Comment

• blt2krl
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Apr 03, 2001

Rob this is great tech my friend... I will let it run for a while here but it will be getting moved to the tech archives for sure. Beers for you mi amigo.
        Paul Hartman
        79 waggoneer
        AMC360/TH-400/203/205
        DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
        39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
        www.cbioffroadfab.com
        WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• robselina
          304 AMC
          • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by blt2krl:
          Rob this is great tech my friend... I will let it run for a while here but it will be getting moved to the tech archives for sure. Beers for you mi amigo.
          Thanks bud, and welcome back [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ May 21, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: robselina ]
          Rob

Comment

• KYJ10
            360 AMC
            • May 05, 2002

If your welded up front, than it's a must. I had steering difficulties in wet mud and in 4x4 without this mod. Also, if you can run two belts on your steering pump, it will help noticably. Mine was slow sometimes because the belt was slightly slipping. Ran two belts and it not only improved speed, but also made it finger turnable! Dennis
            Starting to miss the addiction!

Comment

• robselina
              304 AMC
              • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by KYJ10:
              Ran two belts and it not only improved speed, but also made it finger turnable! Dennis
              Thanks for the info man! Gonna have to mess with that!
              Rob

Comment

• The Donzi
                327 Rambler
                • Dec 11, 2002

Great writeup Rob !!

I am running hydro assist as well and I just did the mods to existing power steering pump and I definitely notice a difference. It feels like it has sped up alot compared to before, but sometimes still a little slow in tight turns. I drilled out the center pin and notched it like shown on this site: http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...rsteering.html I also am running a power steering cooler from an explorer. Works great and lets me run some extra fluid too...
                1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• KYJ10
                  360 AMC
                  • May 05, 2002

You can ask around here and someone will have a dual groove pulley. I found mine locally. My 88 had daul pulleys, both the same circumference. One ran the air pump. Dennis

Comment

• Elliott
                    Cowboy Up
                    • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by robselina:
                    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elliott:
                    got a part number and source for that? Sounds interesting....</font>[/QUOTE]This is it: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/steering_cooler/
                    Ought to be just the ticket for hydraulic winches too!
                    ~$50. at: http://www.secureperformanceorder.co...ProductID=5190

[ May 21, 2004, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Elliott ]
                    *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• robselina
                      304 AMC
                      • Feb 26, 2003

A quick update:

didn't manage to get the pump mod done yet, I'll need to replace my high pressure line out of the pump since its shot and I'll have to cut it to remove it.....I looked into what dennis was saying about dual belts and it turns out it'll be an easy mod for me

As you can see, I need to pick up the belt but I've got the dual pulley already. Must have been used on the rigs with AC, since I don't use my compressor right now(it's fried)

I also rigged up a skid out of some scrap 1/4" steel. It's sort of an odd angle I took the pics at, but it's level with the bottom of the housing and then comes up 45 degrees infront of the ram.

Rob

Comment

• robselina
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 26, 2003

Elliott, that's pretty trick, thanks for the links!
                        Rob

Comment

• KYJ10
                          360 AMC
                          • May 05, 2002

Yea, I think all the balancers and pulley for the coolent pump are 3 groove. So just find a dual for the steering, and your done. I also did it with my alternator, casue it is a 105 amp and had trouble when the fans kicked in. Also worked great. Dennis

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by robselina:
                            Elliott, that's pretty trick, thanks for the links!
                            Yep, first time I saw that cooler I was thinking it would really help if I was to use a Milemarker hydraulic winch (they only weigh about 65Lbs, probably w/o cable).
                            Still be interested to know if the high pressure pump is compatible with hydroboost brakes... if anyone knows?

Comment

• mcinfantry
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 06, 2003

id like to know too!!! i have HB, and a ram... i need to hook the ram up this week.......
                              1942 Dodge WC53 (replaced my m715)

under the knife!
                              4bt, 4l80e, nv241
                              d60/14b 4.88gears w/ arb's
                              michelin 1100x16xl's

Comment

• Glenn_tx
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Jun 08, 2002

Elliot, you figure a little tranny cooler would work also if it was hooked up to the low pressure return hose?
                                Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

Working...
                                X