• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dome
    304 AMC
    • Apr 06, 2000

1985 Jeep Cherokee - Brian Stephens

Hi: My name is Brian Stephens ( also known as "Macka" ) I'm 36 years old and live in Brunswick, a suburb of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Being originally from New Zealand , I moved to Australia in 1985 to make my fortune and decided to settle here. I am employed at the " Hotel Sofitel " in Melbourne as a Hotel Supervisor. Although I have been involved in the hospitality industry for the past 11 years, I am also Trade Qualified in Forestry, and have a Diploma in Motor Mechanics.

My Jeep." Monique"

I came across the Jeep during a major search for that "Perfect" 4x4 touring rig. It was in exceptional condition , having only one previous owner and had all the features any one could want.

Bought from "Fiske Brothers" Motors a local 4x4 dealer in December 1993 - Purchase price $20,000

Details

Engine: Stock standard AMC 360 V8 , with original Motorcraft carb, single exhaust. Duel fuel setup , LPG and Petrol. "Finer" air filter and "Moreys" upper cylinder Lubrication system.

Transmission: Torqueflite 727.

Transfer Case: New process 229.

Diffs: Front Dana 44F. Rear AMC 8 7/8" Ring Gear.

Tyres: B.F Goodrich All Terrains 30x9.5x15 ( For Off Road use ) Bridgestone Desert Duelers 31x10.5x15 ( General purpose use)

Modifications

Heavy Duty triple core radiator with 160 degree thermostat in new housing. Heavy Duty Auto trans oil cooler. Stainless Steel Flexi fan. "Autometer" Oil pressure and water temp Guages. "Finer" Air filter. ( Oil soaked reusable foam type.)

Suspension: Front: Rancho Add a Leafs added to original springs with new bushes. Rancho steering stabiliser. Pedders H/Duty Gas Shockers.

Rear: Rancho Add a Leafs with new bushes. OME Gas Shockers. Polyair adjustable air springs. ( Very similar to Hellwigs )

Additional Equipment: East Coast Bullbars " Special " Alloy Bull Bar (Ed - Not wanting to blatently advertise for East Coast Bullbars, but they are the only bar manufacturers known of at the moment that make a bar to fit a FSJ). Hella Headlight inserts with 130/55 globes Night stalker 100watt pencil beam spot lights. Uniden Grant AM SSB CB Radio. GME UHF Radio. Custom Aluminium side steps and Cargo Barrier.

The cargo barrier I made myself. However I have since cut about 18" off the top so I can get into the cargo section via the back door. the tailgate proves to be unreliable on off raod trips. I almost stripped it trying to get it to work properly while in Mt Isa. Why they did not have a manual window winder as well as the key I will never know ?? Bought a Jeep spare wheel cover for about $79 since added.

Future Plans

3" to 4" Suspension lift which includes new springs, front and rear.

Convert Tailgate to suit a manual window winder mechanism. The electric one is responsible for many of my grey hairs

Purchase a quality manifold and 4 bbl carb to suit.

Remove "never used" Airconditioning unit.
    83 Wagoneer Limited (R.I.P)
    360, TF727, NP228
    SOA, 35's, WT Axles, 4.10 gears, Detroit Locker
Working...
X