• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 79kp
    232 I6
    • Jun 27, 2003

TBI Q

Hey, TBI guys, where did you mount your ECM?
    79 Cherokee WT Golden Eagle,360 Holley 2bbl,K&N,TFI, TH400,Qt w/part-time and low range,D44's 3.54,Aux fuel tank,Tow package. 79 4 door chero,spare parts.
  • FSJ Guy
    • Mar 20, 2005

Underneath the steering column is an oval shaped plate on the firewall. Remove it and you have a nice hole that the (Howell, at least) wiring harness will feed through. Stick the ECM under the dash and enjoy the smooth idle and ability to run upside down. <g> (We all need that, don't we?)
    Ethan Brady
    1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Kenall

• Apr 15, 2000

Originally posted by FSJ Guy
      Stick the ECM under the dash and enjoy the smooth idle and ability to run upside down.
      not for very long tho, I dont believe you have an inverted fuel system
      Ken's:
      1966 Super Wagoneer
      5.7L 2BBl. Th700R4. NP-208. Opens. 3.31s. 4core. 4Discs. PS,PB,AC,CC,Cassette.
      (Soon to be TBI)
      "If it aint leaking, it's empty!"

Comment

• Serious Johnson
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • May 19, 2002

Originally posted by Kenall
        not for very long tho, I dont believe you have an inverted fuel system
        Or oiling system .

I mounted mine on the passenger side against the firewall. The hole for the A/C drain, or maybe it's for refrigerant piping, is a convenient place to route the harness, but you'll have to pick it up right away with a tie-down on the engine side to steer it away from the exhaust. Of course, none of this may work with A/C in place.

S.J.
        "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
        360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
        T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• 79kp
          232 I6
          • Jun 27, 2003

Serious, that hole is for the a/c condensation drain. I'm keeping the a/c. I don't mind drilling a hole in the firewall. If any one has pics, that would help. I severly strained my hip and can't get under the dash to look. Is there room under the glove box on top of the a/c?
          79 Cherokee WT Golden Eagle,360 Holley 2bbl,K&N,TFI, TH400,Qt w/part-time and low range,D44's 3.54,Aux fuel tank,Tow package. 79 4 door chero,spare parts.

Comment

• pb
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2003

I elongated the AC drain hole and ran my harness thru that. The ECM is mounted on top of the AC unit behind the passenger side dash (to the right of the glovebox). Only problem is that while it is out of the way of anyone kicking it, it is a pain to pull the glovebox to remove the chips if you do fine tuning. Thus, I leave mine on the passenger floor when tuning and put it back behind the dash when done.
            Paul
            1975 Wagoneer DD
            360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• 79kp
              232 I6
              • Jun 27, 2003

Thanks Paul. Like I said I'll just drill a hole in the firewall, keep the a/c drain tube original. I got to have a/c!

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

I have the holly analog unit. I put the ECU in the glove box. I just couldn't find a place where it fit and where I could get to the dials.

I drilled a 1" hole on the passenger side floor board. Just below where the carpet starts.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• pb
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 28, 2003

Originally posted by 79kp
                  Thanks Paul. Like I said I'll just drill a hole in the firewall, keep the a/c drain tube original. I got to have a/c!
                  FWIW, I still have the AC tube there as well.
                  Paul
                  1975 Wagoneer DD
                  360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

Working...
                  X