Clear All
  • wincher
    258 I6
    • Dec 08, 2019

springs or lift kit

Hi,

need springs or lift kit for 3-4" lift for my1978 cherokee chief
    33" should fit with no fender trimming.
    no much offset is needed, only for street and light offroad use.
    I (hope I) can organize shipping to germany from new mexico.
    78 chief 360amc (sold)
    02 wj 4.7HO Overland
    98 ZJ 5,2 limited
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

SO: (and to answer your text)

33" should fit on stock suspension without rubbing. I have been driving on 285/75-16's (about 32.5") for a few years with no rubbing at all (on stock suspension). Then I installed a Rocklaurence front shackle reversal and still had no rubbing with stock springs.
    Here is one place to buy them. He is also a member here

Recently I bought a set of Rancho 44044's used for my front end. I lubed them all up with grease hoping to get a nice soft ride and about 2-2.5" of lift. I now have about 3" of lift since they have started to settle (when I installed them, it was almost 4" of lift!). My same 285/75-16's still do not rub anywhere.

With the FSSR kit from Rocklaurence and stock springs, I had 19" from center of axle to fender lip or 33" from the pavement to the fender lip. Now it's 36" to the pavement, and 22" from axle to fender lip. I have about 75 miles on these springs in the month or so I have had them. There are pictures on my build thread in my signature. I run Monroe Gas-Magnums on my truck. I emailed Monroe and asked for a part number for my truck (which would the same as yours) with a 2" lift and they said to use part number 34821.

If you are going to buy a kit (I think you should) then they will come with springs, shocks, and U-Bolts. You will probably also need to buy longer brake hoses and a longer front driveshaft. If you do need longer break lines, there are some OEM ones that work and are cheaper. My rear brake line is from an early 80's Cheverolet Van and it was about 3" longer than the stock one but bolted in. I think it was like $8.

In the rear I have a one inch lift block and BJs grade 8 U-Bolts. I will probably be adding a leaf in the coming months. In the back I am 35" to the pavement from my fender lip.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wincher
      258 I6
      • Dec 08, 2019

Hi Marc, thanks for your detailes answer!!

you have done 2 steps. first the FSSR and sec the 44044

To get my front as high as the rear i need a lift of 3,5"
      And the rear springs seems flat too.

(17"front, 20,5" rear, axle to fender lip)
      The 44044 lift 3" or maybe only 2,5"
      I want someting make better with the rear suspension too, but not (much) higher. with 20,5" is no rubbing as you say.

RS60612 "add a leaf" and new bushings with the 44044s?
      How high is the lift of the add a leaf. 2"?
      Or try to grease the spring and try it with new shocks?

you recommend to buy a kit.

I can choose a rusty 3,5-4" add a leaf kit.Includes u-bolts and shocks for a good price.
      and resign the FSSR Kit or is the FSSR kit in any case the better way?

To mount it i have to cut off the shackle mounts

by reason to get all i need with one mailing/shipping I need a coharent solution.
      78 chief 360amc (sold)
      02 wj 4.7HO Overland
      98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

i shipped a bumper to germany fedex international i think it was USD $140.00 9 (with free fedex account)
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by wincher
          ...you have done 2 steps. first the FSSR and sec the 44044...
          Yep!
          ...To get my front as high as the rear i need a lift of 3,5"
          And the rear springs seems flat too...
          (17"front, 20,5" rear, axle to fender lip)
          Gees! 3.5" difference? That's alot!!!
          The 44044 lift 3" or maybe only 2,5"...
          count on 2.5" from these springs because that is what Rancho advertises. I am not sure why mine are so tall. I am hoping they settle to 2.5" of lift but we will see. The FSSR gives you an inch of lift, or so, too. So if you get the 44044's and an FSSR, that should get the front even with the back.
          I want something make better with the rear suspension too, but not (much) higher. with 20,5" is no rubbing as you say.

RS60612 "add a leaf" and new bushings with the 44044s?
          How high is the lift of the add a leaf. 2"?...
          I am not sure. I don't think you will get a solid 2" out of a "Add-a-leaf" and if you do, it will probably be so stiff, the ride would be ruined. I could be wrong though, I have never used these.
          Or try to grease the spring and try it with new shocks?...
          Shocks won't give you any lift. Greasing the springs probably won't either. But with a 3.5" difference in the front and back, your back springs are probably pretty good! You could also do a shackle flip in the back and get some clearance there for really cheap?
          you recommend to buy a kit.

I can choose a rusty 3,5-4" add a leaf kit.Includes u-bolts and shocks for a good price....
          Yeah, you get that kit and all your springs, shocks, and hardware are matched. You don't have to worry about some parts being new and stiff and others being old and worn out. You can bolt it in, in a weekend and not have to search out a bunch of hardware or little peices. Maybe just brake lines and a front driveshaft.
          ... and resign the FSSR Kit or is the FSSR kit in any case the better way?
          To mount it i have to cut off the shackle mounts
          by reason to get all i need with one mailing/shipping I need a coharent solution.
          Yeah, you do have to cut the front shackle mount off but it's not hard. I bought the FSSR for the ride improvement and a little bit of lift. I also already had a torn spring hanger so it made sense for me. If you buy a lift kit, I don't think you would "need" to do the FSSR but if you buy the 44044's for the front, I would strongly consider it.
          Here is a video on how it is installed:
          After listening to all the interest in regard to a front Spring Shackle Reversal (SSR) for FSJ's, I took the time to developed a bolt on kit. First, the kit replaces the front shackle with a fixed 41/2" spring mount and relocates the shackle to the rear of the spring. The additional height of the mount corrects the caster

Originally posted by Tripwire
          i shipped a bumper to germany fedex international i think it was USD $140.00 9 (with free fedex account)
          I think he has a contact shipping some other parts that he can have his parts thrown in.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
          X