• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brentwood
    232 I6
    • Oct 01, 2015

Driveline noise

I have a 72 j4000 that I bought with a 2wd Chevy driveline. Since it ran well, I had my friend install a divorced Dana 20, custom cross member and driveshafts.
    It starts up, runs well, shifts in and out of 4wd but has a bad driveline noise that gets worse as rpms increase. Sounds like a whining noise and maybe a friction type noise. It actually caused a vibration when up on lift, but no vibration when on ground.
    When we had it up on lift, in gear, it seemed like vibration was coming from transfer case.
    I bought another Dana 20 and still same issue.
    I'm thinking maybe the short shaft from trans to transfer case is at a bad angle or something with the divorced adapter isn't quite right. Don't want to keep wasting money guessing.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by brentwood; 08-03-2020, 09:27 PM.
    1982 Wagoneer w/258, Rusty's 4in spring lift, motorcraft 2100, 32x11.5x15 bfg's *sold*

1972 J4000 Chevy 350, th350, divorced Dana 20, Holley carb, alcan 4in springs, 35in BFGs on 15in slots

1978 J10 golden eagle w/Levis interior, 401and th400, Edelbrock avs2, 32x11.5 falken rubitreks on stock golden eagle wheels
  • J20 project
    304 AMC
    • Dec 27, 2000

Hmm, while I really have no doubt that if that unit was in my care.....I could figure it out. But 2 things stand out. 1) I have never seen a divorced Spicer(Jeep ) 20, much less 2 of them.. so interesting at least. 2) divorced cases are typically set up in line...straight, no angles and if that is what you have welllllll good luck, and maybe your ace mech is not so ace........3) oops 3...did you have quality driveshafts built or some redneck "it'll work" junk.....?

Actually trying to help, but I do that by challenging peoples' thought processes.....

J20....I build shafts and drivelines for a living,,,,been wrenching on these es for 45 years....
    BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
    775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• brentwood
      232 I6
      • Oct 01, 2015

Originally posted by J20 project
      Hmm, while I really have no doubt that if that unit was in my care.....I could figure it out. But 2 things stand out. 1) I have never seen a divorced Spicer(Jeep ) 20, much less 2 of them.. so interesting at least. 2) divorced cases are typically set up in line...straight, no angles and if that is what you have welllllll good luck, and maybe your ace mech is not so ace........3) oops 3...did you have quality driveshafts built or some redneck "it'll work" junk.....?

Actually trying to help, but I do that by challenging peoples' thought processes.....

J20....I build shafts and drivelines for a living,,,,been wrenching on these es for 45 years....

1. The original used Dana 20 I bought came with a divorce adapter already installed. Novak and some other companies made divorce kits for the Dana 20s. So I used the same divorce kit with the 2nd Dana 20.

2. Nobody said my friend is an ace mechanic and he doesn't own a driveshaft shop if that's what you're getting at.
      The short shaft is centered width wise under truck, but a little off height wise. Would a double cardan joint help this?

3. He set it up so front and rear driveshafts are the same length. He made one, and the other was made by professional shop. It made no difference with issue which one was in rear.

4. So should I be looking into the divorce adapter or the short shaft (trans to case)? Or something else I'm missing?
      1982 Wagoneer w/258, Rusty's 4in spring lift, motorcraft 2100, 32x11.5x15 bfg's *sold*

1972 J4000 Chevy 350, th350, divorced Dana 20, Holley carb, alcan 4in springs, 35in BFGs on 15in slots

1978 J10 golden eagle w/Levis interior, 401and th400, Edelbrock avs2, 32x11.5 falken rubitreks on stock golden eagle wheels

Comment

• J20 project
        304 AMC
        • Dec 27, 2000

Actually, assuming you have a short shaft th400...which your truck would have had if auto when new.....I would just go back to oem configuration and bolt the tcase to the trans....
        I know that would be reversing a lot of work but...

Also, what does your intermediate coupling/shaft look like? Most boats, etc will have a pair of 1310 type flanges bolted together...

Lastly, if the truck cruised w/ a single shaft in the rear okay, and the rear shaft professionally done...the issue is likely as you said,,,well sorta. The issue lives between the ouput of the trans and the ouput of the tcase, right?

J20.
        BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
        775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

Driveshaft out of synch front to back half?
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
          X