• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleg
    232 I6
    • Feb 13, 2014

Originally posted by thechier86
    Ok, so to change the subject from shiddy gear ratios back to my diesel swap, does anybody know what little things I'll need to change on this military engine to make it play well with my jeep's 12 volt electrical system? I figure changing to a single cs144 alternator couldn't hurt, but I'm curious about the solenoids on the injection pump, and the glow plug stuff, and the starter. The engine has a new starter on it, but is that specifically a 24 volt thing that will have to be replaced? I also realize that a second battery will be needed, but for now I have one pretty strong optima that needs a home.
    How do I go about getting this stuff to work?
    Did I miss anything else?
    Thanks guys, the nuts and bolts and fabrication stuff I have under control, but electrical is still a learning experience lol.

I converted my CUCV to 12V. You'll keep one alt and remove the goofy resistor that drops the voltage from 24V to 12V for the glow plugs. It is usually mounted on the firewall so yours may already be gone.The starter needs to be replaced with a 12v starter. Everything else; gllow plugs, injection pump, etc arr 12V. The CUCV used a very sad hybrid 24/12V system.

Comment

• thechier86
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 16, 2009

Originally posted by Fleg
      I converted my CUCV to 12V. You'll keep one alt and remove the goofy resistor that drops the voltage from 24V to 12V for the glow plugs. It is usually mounted on the firewall so yours may already be gone.The starter needs to be replaced with a 12v starter. Everything else; gllow plugs, injection pump, etc arr 12V. The CUCV used a very sad hybrid 24/12V system.
      Fleg, this is good news. The 12v conversion seems way easier than I thought. Hopefully I can find a wiring diagram for a civvy 6.2 glow plug controller and I can pull some strings on the starter in the way of a discount from a buddy at the local parts house.

Joe, you are right. I realize that some things will be somewhat spendy, and I'm ok with that.
      So far I'm only $1200 into the project(this includes the cost of the donor and the jeep itself), and have already recovered some of that from selling stock stuff off of the waggy.
      I can afford to drop some coin on a few things, it just means that the build will go a little slower than some, and some compromises will have to be made on the offroad goodies so the actual running part can happen. I'll sort out the rest as I go. I haven't seen an update from the other 6.2 conversion I was following, so I might end up either buying some motor mounts from advance adapters or Novak, or just cutting the ones off the cucv frame and welding them to the waggy frame. That welder sure comes in handy...
      buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• TrenchFoot
        232 I6
        • May 13, 2011

I could've swore that I read that the injector pump has a 24v solenoid but now I'm not finding that. Here's a doc that gets posted around on the diesel sites about converting a CUCV to 12v:

Good luck on the swap!
        Last edited by TrenchFoot; 12-20-2014, 11:03 AM.
        '78 Wag, 6.2L Diesel/700r4/QT

Comment

• thechier86
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 16, 2009

awesome! Thank you for that link!

Comment

• Fleg
            232 I6
            • Feb 13, 2014

Originally posted by TrenchFoot
            I could've swore that I read that the injector pump has a 24v solenoid but now I'm not finding that. Here's a doc that gets posted around on the diesel sites about converting a CUCV to 24v:

Good luck on the swap!
            That's the exact document I used to convert mine. You're results may very somewhat due to the apparent lack of some of the wiring (resistor), etc... The Starter is the only true 24V item. The glow plugs are reduced via resistor to 12V and the I.P. is 12V and all the turn signals/lights are 12V.

Comment

• irocjoecool
              230 Tornado
              • Jul 04, 2014

I had an 84 M1009 and converting to 12v was the best decision I ever made on it.

Comment

• thechier86
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 16, 2009

I've got everything home and ready to go, just need some warmer weather to get started.
                I'm considering putting the waggy body on the blazer frame, thoughts?

Comment

• thechier86
                  327 Rambler
                  • Mar 16, 2009

Turns out the waggy has a 4" longer wheelbase, so I'd have to mmove the rear axle back some to make it look right, along with all the other BS to get body mounts to line up.
                  Looks like the plan of just swapping everything to the jeep is the way it will happen.

Comment

• Eric S.
                    258 I6
                    • Jun 02, 2002

Any updates? I'm interested in this buld.
                    1989 Grand Wagoneer -- FOR SALE

Comment

• joe
                      • Apr 28, 2000

An update would be great. Please?
                      joe
                      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• 74fsj
                        230 Tornado
                        • Feb 15, 2015

How is it coming along? I'm new to this site. Building a j10 with a 6.5 td. The 6.2/6.5 have the same mounts as a small block chevy. Go get yourself some sbc swap mounts, that's what I have. I could post pics of them if you would like.

Comment

• thechier86
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 16, 2009

Sorry folks, I've been moving slowly on this jeep.
                          I went back to school and continue to work 60 hrs a week.
                          I got the suspension done, and the cucv axles under the jeep, and my friend Jacob is going to
                          do the engine swap because I am busy with school.
                          Here is a teaser shot. I'll post more when more progress is made

Comment

• thechier86
                            327 Rambler
                            • Mar 16, 2009

It's coming along a little quicker now. The CUCV drivetrain is in now, and the heater core had been modified with one my buddy had laying around for a chevy nova. The steering ended up being super easy! We used the waggy tie rod and drag link, with the CUCV rod ends, and it's perfect!
                            My buddy is working in the wiring to re-pin the bulkhead connector for the CUCV to work in the waggy, and we have to find some hoses to work with the BJ's 4 core fsj radiator, but it isn't far now.
                            Still need to come up with a plan for driveshafts, but we might be able to use the CUCV ones because the wheelbase is pretty close and we used the blazer axles along with the drivetrain.
                            So far the only welding we've had to do has been for the shackle flip in the rear and the advance adapters motor mounts.
                            We used the blazer gas tank and filler neck. So far the only parts we didn't already have between the waggy and the CUCV have been the heater core and the radiator hoses. I'm really happy with this budget build so far. My buddy is going to fab up a full 3" exhaust, and we have the turbo stuff from a 6.5, but we'll likely leave it off for now and just try to make it dependable without the turbo first.

Here are a few pics:

Last edited by thechier86; 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• thechier86
                              327 Rambler
                              • Mar 16, 2009

Oh and for the hydroboost, Jacob cut and threaded the CUCV pushrod, and milled an aluminum adapter for the pedal. It looks pretty trick:

And here's a pic of the Frankenstein steering as it is now. We may
                              change that if there are any issues, but for now it looks like it will work:

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, these have all been an afterthought once each item was checked off the list.
                              I'll take better ones when it is finished
                              Last edited by thechier86; 05-11-2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• DieselSJ
                                304 AMC
                                • May 19, 2003

IMHO, do the turbo now. You have to change a lot of little things for the turbo. Do it now. You will be much more happy.
                                -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                                -99 XJ Limited.
                                -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                                -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                                X