International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > FSJ-PRIS

Old 03-07-2021, 10:09 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heep-J4000
Don't know if you can make one yourself from alloy or metal sheet if you have a template!?
I can make a template from the one i have on my 73'
and put it in a envelope and send it to you if you want!?

I think I would like that. I was kind of working on one from scratch but it would help to have a template. I will PM my address but I'm in no particular hurry, the only time I have cooling problems is in the summertime sitting at long stop lights but seldom have to do that.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:28 PM
258 I6

Pm received

One of these days I go to make a template and let you know when it's going in the mail.

Cheers

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins (backup work truck for now
73' Jeep J4000 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have a major overhaul
80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/ms420/D300 (a slow ongoing never finished project)

Trucks/car's from the past:
77' Mini mk1 1100 special.
85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:17 AM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Pm received

One of these days I go to make a template and let you know when it's going in the mail.

Cheers

Thank you and like I said, no rush. My truck only gets hot when sitting in traffic which almost never happens and I may some day switch it over to an electric fan.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:45 PM
350 Buick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyolman
I don't have the shroud and would really like to get one. A while back I was going to buy one from Kaiserman but then money got too tight and I wasn't able to go through with the purchase. I'm also considering going with an electric fan setup in the not too distant future.

I think my 72 parts truck has most of one. You're welcome to it.
Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock
Old 03-14-2021, 05:31 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk
I think my 72 parts truck has most of one. You're welcome to it.

PM sent.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:52 PM
327 Rambler

I've not been posting much because...well, nothing much has been going on in my life as far as the truck but a couple weeks ago something happened that got me started thinking.

What happened was I was given 946 cans of Minute Maid canned apple juice and 166 cans of Minute Maid cranberry cocktail

which I immediately set about fermenting, just to see what I could accomplish with it. This left me with 1,112 empty aluminum cans. So I started thinking about what to do with them all.

I never thought I'd say these words but I am slightly disappointing that there are no fire ant colonies in Wa because if there were I'd start casting some of them. The only ants we seem to have here are sugar ants and I don't think they go all that deep...I might be wrong and I might try it just to see.

Then I started looking up youtube videos and seeing what others are doing with cans. It seems for the most part they are just casting them into ingots, which is rather boring but gave me an idea...well not really gave but brought back an old idea.

What if I melt down the cans and use them to cast a tailgate? According to the internet 1,112 cans should come to around 33 lbs of aluminum. I wonder how many tailgates I can cast from that much aluminum?

I also have 6 or 8 aluminum wheels that I've been meaning to take to the scrapper but I'm thinking those might even be better to make a tailgate out of.

This is the kind of stuff I think about when I'm left to my own device
Old 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM
258 I6

The idea is good ,but pouring alloy molds isn't that easy and there is always a bit of slag on top of the liquid alloy that needs to be removed so you have loss of material.

73' Jeep J4000 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is going to have a major overhaul

Old 04-16-2021, 07:04 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
The idea is good ,but pouring alloy molds isn't that easy and there is always a bit of slag on top of the liquid alloy that needs to be removed so you have loss of material.

I've been thinking and studying the process. I know about the slag, that's just part of melting metal. I was thinking open mold so back of tailgate would be flat. It's just something I've been tossing about in my head. It might only be good for a bench, or it might help a lot of people who need serviceable tailgates for the Kaiser era trucks. Worse comes to worse it's just a big aluminum ingot.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:01 PM
327 Rambler

The other day I drove my truck over to my son's house and back, about an hour round trip. By the time I got home the fuel pump had become so noisy that I can't stand it any more. So I have been doing research to figure out exactly what fuel pump to replace that piece of crap with.

Damn there are a lot of junk and fake products on the market. As a result buying from Amazon is out of the question. I want something that will actually be reliable for a long time. Looking through the thread I made when I was having trouble someone recommended Walbro. I've read a lot of good things about them so been looking for suitable pumps from them.

The biggest problems I'm finding with Walbro are fakes on Amazon and Summit selling them without any pick up strainers or connectors. So it looks like I'm going to use this website https://walbrofuelpumps.com/ Mostly because whatever pump I choose I can get all the parts without having to guess at what fits what.

So, I think I have narrowed it down to either the GSL394 frame mounted pump or possibly go back to in tank and use the GSS350G3.

The GSL397 will cost a little more due to needing fittings and such but not a lot but after this disaster of a pump I'm kind afraid to use another frame mounted pump but I'm also kind of afraid to use an in tank pump given the pain it is to change should it go bad.

I was thinking about installing a y inside the tank with a check valve that would be closed when pressure is applied but open when there is no pressure so if the in tank pump fails I can switch to an on frame without dropping the tank. Then I start thinking about potential problems, mainly if the check valve were to stick open when pressure was on.

Decisions, decisions
Old 04-17-2021, 07:59 AM
Señor Jackhead

My experience with electric fuel pumps for carburetor fed engines is varied. If you go cheap, you get cheap. In 2000, my wife's 77 Waggy came with an AC pump that is just like this Carter.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/10002/-1

The next year I bought her dad's 76 Cherokee for a 401 donor. It had the same pump. We carry it for a spare on trips. I have never had to use the spare but have loaned it to people until they get their own. That's pretty long service on my wife's rig.

On mine I went through a couple Mr. Gasket units. POS
It has a NAPA universal unit on it now which has been real reliable. I forget the model and it has no flashy decals on it.

I know people that swear by the Holley Redtop. Not sure you can get new ones any more. I never tried one.

I have bought 2 that look like this universal pump:

Yeah, sometimes I make the same mistake twice. The first one failed in a year. The second one maintained good pressure but did not put out the volume to keep a 401 running at Interstate speeds.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 04-17-2021, 03:25 PM
258 I6

The pump in the link fulsizjeep posted is a push pump instead of pull , so it needs to be mounted closest as possible near the fuel tank.
It's also important to mount it with rubber bushings so it is suspended and isolated for making noise.

This type of fuel pumps are used on the 24 valve Cummins diesel engines to , but it's actually not the best for delivering enough pressure and reliability isn't also the best.

Walbro is a good fuel pump brand for petrol engines
Don't know how you have the set up of the fuel delivery in the carb!?
Do you have a fuel pressure regulator?

Old 04-17-2021, 06:45 PM
327 Rambler

I appreciate the suggestions but I'm fuel injected, not carbureted. If I were still running a carb I'd still be running the mechanical pump. I switched to a Fitech 2 barrel EFI a couple years back so I have to have an electric pump that can produce at least 43PSI I started with a Fitech in tank pump, which failed last July. I switched to a Fitech on frame pump because I wanted to keep the the FI controlling the pump but it was noisy from the first day and has only gotten worse.

So after much research I made the decision to go back to the in tank pump but use a Walbro because they have a good reputation. They also have a reputation for being knocked off and sold on Amazon so I actually ordered it from Walbro to guarantee it is what I think it is. It should be here Wednesday.

So if my math is correct I should be low on gas on Tuesday when my spring vacation starts, I should get the pump on Wed and have it installed shortly after that. Hopefully this pump lasts much longer than the Fitech junk.
Old Today, 07:22 PM
327 Rambler

I got my new Walbro in tank fuel pump yesterday.

The first thing I noticed is the in tank filter is much finer than the previous Fitech fuel pump had which is a good thing.

So then I went about the tedious process of changing it. Drain the 3 or 4 gallons still in the tank, disconnect everything, drop the tank. Change the connector, connect the pump, put the sending unit back in the tank. Tighten it down. Connect the wires that can't be reached when tank is in position. lift tank into position. Connect the filler and vent hose. realize I forget to connect the line.

Drop the tank again connect fuel line lift tank back up reconnect filler and vent hose. Tighten mounting strap. Discover the grounding wire for the fuel sending unit came off It's redundant but drop tank anyway. Reconnect grounding wire. Reinstall tank, connect filler and vent hose. Tighten everything up. connect hoses and wiring to respective connections and done. Simple as that

When I turned the key on I couldn't hear the pump which got me worried but a quick check of the pressure relieved the pressure was right where it should be so I started it and it ran just fine. Checked for leaks and didn't find any so I think I can call this one done

Hopefully this Walbro pump will last much longer that the previous 2 pumps but I will hang on to the on frame as an emergency backup pump, just in case.