• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EasTXJEEPER
    232 I6
    • Jul 30, 2012

NP229 Output yoke seal?

Before I get into changing out this leaky seal, do I have the right new one? Is a National #3946 the correct seal?
    Are there any other suprizes awaiting me beside removing the nut and yoke and digging out the old seal. Replacing seal appears to be pretty straight forward but some threads on the subject mention a felt washer somewhere in the works.
    Jeep is my 83 Cherokee Laredo with Selec-Trac. When I topped off the TC with ATF the leaky seal became very obvious.

Yes.
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• acct21
      327 Rambler
      • May 20, 2014

I know this is a necrothread, but since it kept coming up in my search for the seals mentioned, thought I'd update it for future reference. BJ's Off Road currently offers the yoke nut seal as the "seal washer" -- #52 on the exploded drawing.

The splined washer fits inside the yoke, and once the yoke nut is tightened down this stops the oozing from the yoke. Recommend a thin application of Ultra Black over the top of this, letting it skin over before tightening down the yoke nut.

Crown J8130815

1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• TomJ
        232 I6
        • Jan 24, 2021

Originally posted by acct21
        I know this is a necrothread, but since it kept coming up in my search for the seals mentioned, thought I'd update it for future reference. BJ's Off Road currently offers the yoke nut seal as the "seal washer" -- #52 on the exploded drawing.

The splined washer fits inside the yoke, and once the yoke nut is tightened down this stops the oozing from the yoke. Recommend a thin application of Ultra Black over the top of this, letting it skin over before tightening down the yoke nut.

Crown J8130815

Those are hard as hens teeth to find. I used to have a half-dozen in a DIY box, not any more. And they're either "unavailable" or "can be ordered" for you. I just use ultra black at the end of the splines and under the nut. Never had an issue with seepage since. If you can find these, by all means, use, but...
        "Jeepjake" on this site 20-years ago, did the first Ouray Invasion (stuck on Imogene pass, wrote a story about it), then subsequent Uninvasion the next year. Been working on Jeeps 50-years, have had a Jeep of one rendition or another all my adult life.

Comment

• J20 project
          304 AMC
          • Dec 27, 2000

I gave you that number on facebook right? A great resource for many folks is National Drivetrain.com....One thing you will see though is that the np229 has a very limited parts list, meaning many things are not sourced well and or available as compared to the NP 208 which I suggested.

Real straight forward on the seal swap. Best practices have you lightly sanding the yokes' seal surface and using rtv on the splines and thread lock on the nut when going back together.

J20 project
          BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
          775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• acct21
            327 Rambler
            • May 20, 2014

Those are hard as hens teeth to find. I used to have a half-dozen in a DIY box, not any more. And they're either "unavailable" or "can be ordered" for you. I just use ultra black at the end of the splines and under the nut. Never had an issue with seepage since. If you can find these, by all means, use, but...
            Summit Racing had them in stock. So did BJ's. I bought mine from Summit because I needed some unrelated stuff from them. It arrived, and I installed with with a thin smear of the 'transfer case' green-tube Permatex. All buttoned up, refilled, test driven... and no leaks.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

Working...
            X