International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM

New Waggy Owner...

Hey folks..

Recently stumbled onto a nice 1990 GW that we are now part-owners in (long story). Right off the bat, we swapped the t-case out as part of the deal with the seller. So far, everyone is happy with it. My wife has wanted a GW for a long time, so this keeps us both happy - she gets her 'dream' grocery-getter ride, and I get a kick-butt 360 cu. in. bulldozer to play with. I also have a 2003 TJ that I recently lifted and locked up front, but the GW will remain a grocery-getter and (possibly) tow-rig.

Last week, as my bro-in-law went out to move the GW off the street for the forecasted snowfall, the GW wouldn't start at all - just click. I went down and tried a few things and ended up running a jumper from the hot batt to the hot post on the solenoid. Turn the switch, and it starts. It started fine after that as well. It has a new starter/solenoid on it, so I am thinking it is the starter relay. I ordered a new relay this morning, which hopefully will be a quick fix to prevent it from happening in the future.

Are there any other 'gotchas' that I should keep an eye on with the GW? As this will be a grocery-getter for my wife, I would like to keep it as relatively dependable as a 1990 GW can be. Any tips/suggestions for a new Waggy owner?

Thanks ahead of time!
CJ