International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 AM

Cranking and Dead Spot on Acceleration

I just replumbed my 91 Wag. Previously, It took a ton of cranking and pumping to start, and had a dead spot in the acceleration.

I thought it was the carb. I pulled the carb apart and rebuilt it. I could tell immediatly that it wasn't the carb, but figure that I might as well rebuild it since I had it off and bought the rebuild kit.

The problem was the vacuum plumbing. A previous owner decided to do same crazy things with the routing. I will post pictures soon. Needless to say, I think he thought that vacuum routing wasn't an important part of the engineering on the AMC 360 system. There were multiple hoses capped off, and several hoses routed incorrectly.

I am not a mechanic. I consider myself a shadetree by all definitions. Let me assure all novices, it isn't very hard to correctly plumb an AMC 360 vacuum system.

After my intervention, the rig starts immediately, and runs like a champ. No dead spot on acceleration, and no cranking to start. It jumps up and starts with only the slightest turn of the key.

Thanks to everyone for their previous posts on the subject. Please feel free to PM me for questions if you are in the same position. FYI: I have a 91 with all factory systems (IE: EGR, etc).
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 AM

No the plumbing is not hard. The hard part is getting all the things that the plumbing goes to not to leak and cause more problems. You can get creative in bypassing some of the failed parts AND have it work, but it takes a lot of retuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandWag&Prix
Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 PM

do you have a vacuum diagram for the engine?
I think Im in the same boat. I have an awful-lot of plugged vacuum lines on my 360.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
FSJ Maniac

I bet the flat spot was from an open line or disconnected or misrouted vac advance.
'69 Super Wagoneer
'75 J10
'79 Cherokee S WT
'75 Cherokee
'61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer