International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 12:17 PM
350 Buick

ranking of automotive parts places

Hello again fellow jeepers.

I constantly see threads where newbies and experienced alike ask questions about the reliability of the automotive parts suppliers and stores. Well here is your opportunity to sound off and give your thoughts on the chain stores and local stores (If local list location, state if possible). Hopefully this will help out some fellow jeepers out there.

High qaulity parts (Best you can get)
BJ's offroad (in my experiences), napa

Good qaulity

average
pep boys

Below average

advanced auto parts, auto zone (if you are going to purchase things here, replace them shortly with good stuff or only get the non a/z or advanced parts) Might get cheap parts here just to get home but I would replace them asap.

purchase at your own risk!!

The junkyard

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 01-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Señor Jackhead

Not all NAPAs are the same because they are privately owned most cases. The NAPA in Montrose CO is owned by a guy I will not do business with. I think I would drive at least an extra 50 miles to buy parts from someone else.

The one in Cortez CO is primo though.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
GRUMPY

DON'T FORGET ME!!! THE CONNAISSEUR OF FINER SHEET METAL PRODUCTS
Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
FSJ Maniac

BJ's is a gimme

All the rest...that will depend on the help at the counter. Around here, AZ mostly sucks, Checker is OK and CarQuest has all the old school guys at the counter so CarQuest is where I usually go.

Pep Boys is only good if you need fancy plastic fake spinner hubcaps or Tweety Bird spare tire covers.

My other car is a Viner Pro Team...no wait, my other car is a Masi Speciale...nonono, my other car is a Bianchi 928SL
Old 01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
350 Buick

yeah,

I agree with you on pep boys but the flinstones tie cover and the porky pig seat covers I have a great lol. In my experiences autozone and advanced have nothing but junk behind the counter that is re-manned in china/hong kong. The stuff is made with the absolute cheapest of materials and if you plan on it lasting long you definitely will seek parts from a different place.

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

(Wip)
1. TBI
2. New fuel tank
3. AW-4 Transmission
4. Aluminum condensor
5. Custom Gauge Panel
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM

The problem with chain stores (almost any chain) is that your mileage may vary TREMENDOUSLY.

I have gone to the same store at different times and have received entirely different experiences each time.

When I went to get my pitman arm puller, the clerk actually ask me "What are you pulling?"

Needless to say, he couldn't "find" it and I went to the store down the street.

BJ's Offroad has always been a pleasure to deal with. What I can't find locally, I buy there. And they have a LOT of stuff that I can't get locally.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Great! Just when I thought I might settle on a parts store here in Montrose someone gives me reason to believe that is not a good idea. I would agree on the AZ stuff being junk. Checkers is still up in the air for me, not great but close to home. We have a Car Quest but every time I want something they have to order. Which leaves me with NAPA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
Not all NAPAs are the same because they are privately owned most cases. The NAPA in Montrose CO is owned by a guy I will not do business with. I think I would drive at least an extra 50 miles to buy parts from someone else.

The one in Cortez CO is primo though.
92 Dodge van to live in when my Jeep costs me so much I lose my house.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Ph.D in Redneckology

One thing to remember when dealing with the chain stores Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.. If you're not driving your Jeep then be sure to carry pics of the Jeep and a pic of the engine to prove to them that Full Size Jeeps and AMC engines are real.
lllllll0
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\
Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Señor Jackhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdf1968
Great! Just when I thought I might settle on a parts store here in Montrose someone gives me reason to believe that is not a good idea. I would agree on the AZ stuff being junk. Checkers is still up in the air for me, not great but close to home. We have a Car Quest but every time I want something they have to order. Which leaves me with NAPA.

It is totally up to you of course. This is just one man's experience and opinion. During the 2005 Ouray Invasion, I called NAPA and ordered a power steering high pressure hose for Krista's Wag because her's popped. I tried all the parts places and everyone was out (because some of our invasion members had already popped their hoses). They said it would be in at 8AM. Drove up the next morning with Paul (J10/J20 Project) and the hose that came in was not even close. We talked to the owner about a universal hose or some other option and he got really irratated with us. Before I knew what the heck was going on, he kicked us out of the store. So, he is on my $hit list. You'd think I would let go of this after 2.5 years but nope.
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com
Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chrome-a-nator
One thing to remember when dealing with the chain stores Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.. If you're not driving your Jeep then be sure to carry pics of the Jeep and a pic of the engine to prove to them that Full Size Jeeps and AMC engines are real.

LMAO!
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulsizjeep
<snip> Before I knew what the heck was going on, he kicked us out of the store. So, he is on my $hit list. You'd think I would let go of this after 2.5 years but nope.

Some people in their wilder days got themselves kicked out of bars or strip joints.

Flint? Nope, he's STILL wild and instead gets himself kicked out of AUTO PARTS stores.

He's my hero!

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagoneerlover
yeah,

I agree with you on pep boys but the flinstones tie cover and the porky pig seat covers I have a great lol. In my experiences autozone and advanced have nothing but junk behind the counter that is re-manned in china/hong kong. The stuff is made with the absolute cheapest of materials and if you plan on it lasting long you definitely will seek parts from a different place.

All the places are that way now (NAPA , CarQuest, AutoZone ...)
The good old names BorgWarner Sorenson, Nieoff ... are all the same company, and they supply all the stores with pretty much the same stuff but have both a high end and a price leader line. (Wells is just crap single line).
As far as help goes, none should be expected to know what the heck a 197X Jeep had in it, heck Jeep hardly knew what parts were going in the next batch. So it is up to you to findout dig around and know what you want and need.
NAPA's books think all 2 door fsj cherokees are wide traks, so be careful when ordering brake lines, one example of many, forget trying to get good data on emishions stuff all the parts house books are wrong or mixed up.

Mike D.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Gear Head

All we have in this small town is a Carquest, and a Napa. Every single time I go into Carquest, I have a bad experience. The guys are d**heads. I am lucky that one of the guys at Napa used to drive an early 80's Wag. But when he's not there, its like a deer in headlights behind the counter. Its the same story with my car. They all want to sell me regular lancer stuff. I start my part request off with "'05 Mitsu Lancer, then click on "Other," or "Dont Know." Yeah its the turbo one. Okay I need a...." Ive taken back several things that I found were not correct by the time I got said part off of the car.

I order online if I can wait.
'05 Evo MR "Eve"
Old 01-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy
Some people in their wilder days got themselves kicked out of bars or strip joints.

Flint? Nope, he's STILL wild and instead gets himself kicked out of AUTO PARTS stores.

He's my hero!

Thanks for the new sig line
360/727/208/d44f/AMC20r/3:31
Manual windows/locks/seats
Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

So what are we beating today

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMOBX/77/401
DON'T FORGET ME!!! THE CONNAISSEUR OF FINER SHEET METAL PRODUCTS
Old 01-10-2008, 04:42 PM

baxter auto parts... the only place i'll shop.

had a napa local to my old place burn me bad when they sold me the wrong part and wouldn't take it back (they said it was used, of course i tried to use it!) so i won't give them a dime. the local napa here though is a bunch of old guys that move slower then a seven year itch. that would be fine for the technical stuff but when you need a generic part like a light bulb they have EVERYTHING in the back, it takes them 10 minutes just to find it. also i haven't had good luck with their rad hoses, replaced one on the chevy and it was too long out of the therm housing, in a month i had a rub spot because it was hitting the hood! i got another hose from baxters and the fit was dead on.

the best thing about baxters was a member of my wheeling group was the manager of one of the stores during my drivetrain swap. he gave me dealer cash or better on everything. i bought a VSS for my swap that was priced at $280. he sold it to me for $102, and only made $4 on the transaction.

Al
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I rarely go to a parts store to buy parts anymore, just the consumables (oil, antifreeze, brakeclean, wipers, etc). I order almost everything online, and try to use OEM parts. Sure, the good parts may cost more, but I hate doing a job twice...

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Grease Monkey

I always check what brand and where it's made. Checker/shucks/kragen has Fel-pro, Moog or TRW and Raybestos, brands I used to deal with back in the day. Heck, I even have my old catalogs so sometimes bring my own part numbers. I've found Timken bearings and A-1 cordone at Autosuck. I won't buy chinese bearings or seals and have walked away from many a part sitting on the counter. The last engine I built, almost all the parts came from PAW or Summit. I miss the old days when the mom & pop stores were around. Then the chain stores came with the cheaper prices and Wal-marted them out...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Grease Monkey

My first experience dealing with Randy's Ring And Pinion will be my last.

I was looking for a set of 331's for a model 20. When I called Randy's I told the salesman what I wanted and also that "I didn't want imported gears I want gears that are made in the USA" He assured me the gears he was selling me were in fact Made in USA. When I received the gears and opened the box I noticed a yellow plastic tag wraped around the ring gear that said "Made in Italy" Last time I checked Italy is not in the USA.

Bottom line, Randy's Ring And Pinion flat out lied to me to make a sale. Needless to say I returned the gears.

dennis
Old 01-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Gear Head

Believe it or not, the Jeep local dealer is my preferred parts source for anything important. I get the "family" discount. I don't know if that is because I am in there so much, or just cause they feel sorry for me. The new car salesmen just shake their heads when they see me coming. Of course, I have a late model SJ, only 19 years old! Lots of stuff is still available OEM.

NAPA comes in second, followed by everybody else.
'04 WJ Overland (Blue Pill)